Elias would fly as Leaf on Sundin's wing

Elias26

...the Rangers sweetening the pot with his best friend Sykora being on the team as well as 60% of the Czech players in the league....

I'm not sure of this, but isn't Sykora UFA after this year? Or did he have one more year on his contract?

I love Damien Cox, he's by far the best sportswriter in the world at ripping on the Leafs. Nobody has chronicled their failures as thoroughly and hilariously as him. He even wrote a whole book about it a couple years back called "67". He's also the co-author of a Marty Brodeur biography expected this Fall in time for the Christmas book buying season. His whole theory on how to improve the Leafs boils down to this: become the Devils. Check this bit out from a column in January:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...ist980137891118

[snip]

So here's an interesting question. If Lou Lamoriello were running the Leafs, what would he do?

It's a relevant question, if only because the New Jersey GM watched as his team tumbled out of the top eight in the Eastern Conference in the fall and then boldly reorganized his roster, partly by choice and partly by the choices of others.

Larry Robinson didn't want to coach anymore, so Lamoriello took over. Vladimir Malakhov didn't want to play anymore, so his retirement was accepted.

Krzysztof Oliwa was detected as a malcontent, so he was simply sent home. Veteran blue-liner Dan McGillis and winger Alexander Mogilny, amounting to $5.7 million worth of salaries, were cut and farmed out. Ancient warrior Tommy Albelin, 41, was signed and given regular work.

If Lamoriello was in charge of fixing the Leafs, you can suppose unproductive or one-dimensional veterans like Jason Allison, Jeff O'Neill, Domi, Nik Antropov, Alexander Khavanov and Aki Berg might find themselves in the same situation as players like McGillis and Mogilny.

Quinn wouldn't have lasted this long and a far more defensive, close-to-the-vest style of play would be in place.

These types of strong, no-nonsense moves, you have to figure, would never be acceptable in Toronto because the MLSE board doesn't do business that way.

The priorities with the Leafs come from the top down, which means profits first, winning somewhere after that.

In Jersey, it goes the opposite way, with the owner dancing to Lamoriello's tune.

The result is that the Leafs are remarkably profitable and never win, while the Devils lose money but are remarkably successful at winning Stanley Cups.

[snip]

Elias, who turns 30 on Thursday, is playing under a one-year deal for $4.18 million (all figures U.S.). The Devils, of course, need him as much as the Leafs, but they've got salary cap considerations next season, including having to account for the NHL contracts of Mogilny ($3.5 million) and Dan McGillis ($2.2 million).

Uhh, McGillis is off the cap because he signed before he was 35. Worst case scenario we have to buy out Mogilny and Malakhov (can you buy out someone who is suspened w/o pay?) and face like a $2.3M cap hit...that's some solid reporting.

Lou Lamoriello has Patty in his "shopping cart" already. Expect him to make Brodeur-esque numbers next year. He will sign at least a three year deal, or maximum five year deal.

Here's what Patty knows:

1. Brodeur (barring injury), will be with the Devs for at least five more years. Toronto, on the other hand, doesn't have a goalie.

2. Gionta will be re-signed, and so will Scott Gomez

3. New building, new opportunities

4. Lou waited for him, and took care of him during his illness

5. The Rangers stink, and Elias would be hated more than Osama Bin Laden if he ever decided to sign with the Rangers alla Holik

All in all, I expect the Devs to sign Elias. My guess is that teams that will make a pitch for Elias will be:

1. Colorado Avalanche (Patty would play with Hejduk and Sakic)

2. Florida Panthers (FLA wants to improve in order to sign Luongo)

3. Toronto Maple Leafs (love the Devils players, and will do anything to spite Lamoriello)

4. Phoenix Coyotes (Wayne Gretzky knows how good Elias really is, and will want to take a stab at him)

5. Washington Capitals (Ovechkin needs help, and the Caps have money to spend)

This article isn't 'news', it's fake news. Cox said to his buddy at the water cooler this morning, 'wouldn't Sundin be awesome if he and Elias played together?' Just like any of us would say about a player. Here goes, 'Wouldn't it be cool if the Devils signed Havlat and traded for Gaborik this year?'

The only difference is that the douch3bag has a news column and I don't.

Edited by Gomer23

Lou Lamoriello has Patty in his "shopping cart" already. Expect him to make Brodeur-esque numbers next year. He will sign at least a three year deal, or maximum five year deal.

Here's what Patty knows:

1. Brodeur (barring injury), will be with the Devs for at least five more years. Toronto, on the other hand, doesn't have a goalie.

2. Gionta will be re-signed, and so will Scott Gomez

3. New building, new opportunities

4. Lou waited for him, and took care of him during his illness

5. The Rangers stink, and Elias would be hated more than Osama Bin Laden if he ever decided to sign with the Rangers alla Holik

All in all, I expect the Devs to sign Elias. My guess is that teams that will make a pitch for Elias will be:

1. Colorado Avalanche (Patty would play with Hejduk and Sakic)

2. Florida Panthers (FLA wants to improve in order to sign Luongo)

3. Toronto Maple Leafs (love the Devils players, and will do anything to spite Lamoriello)

4. Phoenix Coyotes (Wayne Gretzky knows how good Elias really is, and will want to take a stab at him)

5. Washington Capitals (Ovechkin needs help, and the Caps have money to spend)

LMAO true!

:rofl:

Players who want to go the leafs are only for money, not for playing hockey and not for enjoying playing hockey. Every Leafer believed that Niedermayer will be coming after rumours and rumours. But however, Niedermayer chose the Ducks over the Leafs!!!! Go to Leaf nation means no cup for you but for the players who love to get a lot of spotlights and cash, TO is a good place.

Players who want to go the leafs are only for money [...] Go to Leaf nation means no cup for you but for the players who love to get a lot of spotlights and cash, TO is a good place.

That's not entirely true. Lots of players come to Toronto because they grew up watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday. As much as I hate them and like to make fun of them, there are a lot of people who do love the blue and white.

That's not entirely true. Lots of players come to Toronto because they grew up watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday. As much as I hate them and like to make fun of them, there are a lot of people who do love the blue and white.

That is their excuse (something leafers love to do). Don't tell me that Holik loves NY Rangers so much he decided to sign with them.

That is their excuse (something leafers love to do). Don't tell me that Holik loves NY Rangers so much he decided to sign with them.

Well, Bobby SAID that was the reason. He said he always wanted to wear that jersey. The fact that he was lying through his unibrow is beside the point. :evil:

I never said Holik loved the Rangers so much he decided to sign with them. I said some players honestly loved the Leafs growing up and would take or have taken less money to play with them (even Wayne Gretzky was willing to do that but the Leafs couldn't afford it at the time because of payments stipulated in Ballard's will) but it doesn't take long before the complete rudderless nonsense that is the front office takes the shine off citizenship in Leafs nation.

And of course Leaf fans love excuses, especially about the refs!