Elias would fly as Leaf on Sundin's wing

Elias26

This could happen. Maybe it's me, but it makes sense to me. :noclue: Another team with the Leaf situation could also go after Elias. Don't forget the Devils need to sign Gionta, also. So the cap starts to become a real issue for the Devils especially with the Almo and McGillis contracts.

Everyone assumes he's staying here because Lou has been 'fair' with him... but to me that's more hope then fact. Maybe instead of Elias they can target Mogilny again...

Almo is washed up. He's done. :horse::D

:hah: Maybe instead of Elias they can target Mogilny again... :rofl:

Edited by hattrick

The Devils will have tons of room under the cap to sign players after letting unimportant players leave and then either Almo and McGillis' contracts won't count against the cap or they will buy them out for not that large a cap hit. I don't get how the worst case, even if not likely, scenario can be the one people want to believe in.

Everyone assumes he's staying here because Lou has been 'fair' with him... but to me that's more hope then fact. Maybe instead of Elias they can target Mogilny again...

Everyone assumes he's staying here because he doesn't have an agent. If you're going to field offers from 7 different teams, you hire an agent. If you intend on negotiating with one team, an agent is unnecessary, as Martin Brodeur has learned.

Elias isn't going to Toronto and he's not the point man on the Devils power play either.

Everyone assumes he's staying here because he doesn't have an agent. If you're going to field offers from 7 different teams, you hire an agent. If you intend on negotiating with one team, an agent is unnecessary, as Martin Brodeur has learned.

Elias isn't going to Toronto and he's not the point man on the Devils power play either.

So, you think he'll go to Czech-land in NY?

The results were undeniably good?!

They signed him off a 43-goal season, and he went on score just 57 goals over two years while missing a total of 21 games? And how many Cups did he help Toronto win?

Sorry, but I wouldn't characterize that signing as some great success story.

I'm pretty sure Tri was just pointing out 2 instances in the article that the writer got wrong and that Elias will be back in NJ.

Tri said everyone assumes he's staying here because he doesn't have an agent. He then points out if you only intend to negotiate with one team, that you don't need an agent. But his first sentence is the kind of sentence you write just before you slam everyone for making the assumption that the team will be NJ. So does Tri really believe that? That's what I'm asking. Is NJ the one team Tri thinks Elias is going to be negotiating with? Or does Tri think Patrik has ditched the agent because he has picked one team, and it is neither NJ, nor Toronto, but someplace else, like the Czech Republic West, aka, NYR?

The results were undeniably good?!

They signed him off a 43-goal season, and he went on score just 57 goals over two years while missing a total of 21 games? And how many Cups did he help Toronto win?

Sorry, but I wouldn't characterize that signing as some great success story.

It was a great signing, CR76. The Leafs had absolutely no secondary scoring threats and the Devils exposed that in the playoffs two years in a row - no, they didn't win any Stanley Cups, but they had severe injury problems in 2002, which was their best shot. The Mogilny signing by Toronto is probably one of the top 10 free agent acquisitions of the last decade.

It was a great signing, CR76. The Leafs had absolutely no secondary scoring threats and the Devils exposed that in the playoffs two years in a row - no, they didn't win any Stanley Cups, but they had severe injury problems in 2002, which was their best shot. The Mogilny signing by Toronto is probably one of the top 10 free agent acquisitions of the last decade.

Yeah but we had Dagenais to replace him, so all in all it was a wash :puke:

Edited by SC Devs Fan

Plain and simple it's going to come down to two things....loyalty and fairness....If Lou can offer him a fair contract, and by that I mean a lengthy one with good pay for his skills, and Elias can show some loyalty to the team, and by that I mean accepting a lengthier contract over a higher pay one....then the Devils will have thier captain next season...There are teams out there that will have no cap problems whatsoever and it doesn't matter who you are, if you are smart, you will try your best to get the best scoring, defensively minded playmaker/scorer LW available and that is Elias...no other player can bring what he brings as far as at least being able to get 40-50 goals, maybe double that in assists, a constant plus player who handles his own on the defensive side which means he can play PP and PK, and who, because of the Devils organization, thinks team first...name someone else out there like that....He could very well get Niedermayer'ed this season by teams like Toronto willing to give up the money...the Rangers sweetening the pot with his best friend Sykora being on the team as well as 60% of the Czech players in the league....

but in summation, I do believe with every ounce of confidence that Elias will dress as a Devil come next season...but that's just my 2 cents....

Good post, underdog. There's a chance that a team could offer more than NJ, but I, too, believe that he wants to stay and a satisfactory agreement will be reached.

The tears at the Scott Stevens ceremony were genuine. And while business is business, I get the sense that Elias sees the bigger picture. He wants to captain this team, and if he stays, he will get his chance.

Oh no question at all about his loyalty...not from me anyway...I just said those two things needed to be there...I have no doubt that Elias has every intent to stay here...He's said countless times how he would love to be a Devil for his career and yes the Steven's ceremony was a big look into what I feel was inspiration for Patty to be a Devil and Devil Captain for the rest of his career....and trust me...this is the same loyalty that sent Patty to play on the Russian team with his best friend Sykora which in turn lead him to get Hep A...remember he was playing for a Czech league before that....no doubt he has tons of Loyalty for the Devs...I'm just hoping Lou has that same loyalty and will be fair with Patty and what he means to this team...