NHL Center Ice in HD?

threestars

I am thinking of getting NHL Centre Ice in September, and am also looking into buying a bigger TV. Does anyone know if Center Ice is going to be showing in HD? I found something on the Center Ice website about HD programming being stopped back in March, is this true?

I am just trying to figure out whether it is worth springing the extra bucks for an HDTV....if Center Ice isn't in HD, then it probably isn't worth my while. Can anyone help?

I'm waiting. Yes, eventually everything is going to be in HD. Also the price of HD TVs is going to come down. I'll wait until everything is available in HD.

For about $200 you can get a no-name 27" curve screen, for $300 you can get a name-brand curve screen, for $400 you can get a no-name flat-screen, for $500 you can get a 27" name brand flat screen, for $1,000 you can get a no-name 27" HD TV and for $1,500 you can get a 27" brand name HD TV.

I'm a cheap-ass SOB that can't tell the difference between a DVD and a VHS movie (or cassette vs CD). So I'll stick with my $500 flat-screen Trinitron until HD TVs come down to $500 or $600.

But I have gone to my friends place to catch some hockey games and there are things that you can see that you normally wouldn't be able to see. For example, when a puck hit's a goaltender wearing a dark jersey, the puck gets lost in a big black blur. But in HD you can see exacty where the puck is. So I like it... just not enough to go spend $1,500 on a new TV.

My thoughts also Don. I don't watch tv unless hockey is on, so I can't justify buying a big TV. Just ask Googer, I had such bad buyers remorse when I got a nice flat screen TV, I was bugging everyone in chat with questions. I returned the TV, some day maybe.

oh it's UNBELIEVABLE for movies too....

kinda like I was saying with my friend from class when I met her for lunch

"now that hockey season is almost over I can be a movie geek again"

Star Wars and Matrix movies in HD = THE sh!t!!!! B )

I can't speak of other providers (cable, Dish Network, etc.), but I know DirecTV carried very limited HD games for Center Ice this past year. Now, by very limited, I mean on the order a single game per week, two if you were lucky. Obviously this is little enough that you shouldn't really let this factor into your decision. :P

That said, in this day, with all of the big 4 networks broadcasting much of their primetime lineups in HD, as well as there being a good number of dedicated HD channels, I would think that unless you only intend on using this TV for a year or two (tops) that you'd want to future-proof yourself with an HD set. Also, if you play games, you can get basically unlimited HD content if you get an Xbox 360 (available now) and / or a PS3 (available in November). :D Just remember if you intended on doing that and you played a lot you'd want to keep that in mind when shopping for a TV, as I wouldn't recommend getting a TV based on one of the technologies that can get burn-in (which are mainly rear projection CRT's, and, to a slightly lesser extent, plasmas).

Also within the next year the HD version(s) of DVD will be showing up, though even as an early adopter for this sort of thing I'm currently waiting this one out since I don't feel like possibly guessing wrong which format will win out and ending up with a $500+ paperweight if the player I buy ends up being the format that dies off :P. Of course even that is making as assumption that one of HD/DVD and Blu-Ray actually does take off as a format and we don't end up with another SACD / DVD-Audio mess :doh1:.

I can't speak of other providers (cable, Dish Network, etc.), but I know DirecTV carried very limited HD games for Center Ice this past year. Now, by very limited, I mean on the order a single game per week, two if you were lucky. Obviously this is little enough that you shouldn't really let this factor into your decision. :P

I think it was mainly a few Tampa Bay home games, I can't remember what other teams might have had a few. I hope :pray: they carry more of them next year.

I hope Blu-Ray wins; I want a PS3, and it would be nice if it were useful for more than just games.

Which one did you wind up getting?

Samsung 27" CRT HDTV Slimfit (so is actually smaller depthwise than my current 21"). Couldn't justify the extra money for a nice LCD, so have to make do. At least it leaves something to upgrade to. Should arrive end of next week, just after my bf finishes his PhD exam, so he can spend hours playing xbox on a pretty TV (assuming it makes it to us in one piece).

• 2 weeks later...

So, new TV is here. Oooooh, yay, HD rocks! I had no idea you could get so many HD channels simply using rabbit ears, woohoo, so hockey in HD tonight, uber yay. Full cable gets hooked up next Tuesday, then I may never leave the house again.