The Clerks Ii Thread

Devilsdude530

This will be my first trip to an R-Rated movie (legally!).

I'm very excited, I saw the first one with my (27-year old) cousin when I was 14 and immediately related to it.

It's grown up versions of me, talking about the same nonsense that I talk about! And they're from Jersey? Sweet.

By the way, in one of the Jersey movies, the comic book store they go into is my cousins, and he's in the scene. I forget which one though.

i have a very good relationship with this series and kevin smith movies.

around 9th grade i saw chasing amy and fell in love with it. i proceeded to watch the movie much more. i've had to seen this movie at least 30 times, and that's most likely a drastic understatement. i can't thing of a single movie closer to me than this one.

after a while i found clerks, then mallrats. around this time, i use to come home and watch whatever was on cartoon network, that schedule changed into coming home and watching clerks while playing NHL 2004 or some other game until clerks was over. sometimes mallrats. this eventually led me to being able to recite clerks...something i did while bored in class.

i took a break from the series till 10th grade, when i at long last purchased dogma and jay and silent bob strikes back. the latter sucks, the former is amazing.

sometime this year, i at long last got my friends into the series. so i watched the movie some more, but not near the amount i use too.

now clerks 2 roles around at long last, and i can't say i'm anything less then really fvcking excited :D

I like Jay and Silent Bob, it's a weird, kinda clever-ish premise for a movie. And I'm a sucker for pointless cameos. It's like watching an NC-17 rated Muppet movie.

To rate them in order:

1. Clerks

2. Dogma

3. JaSBSB

4. Mallrats

5. Chasing Amy

6. Jersey Girl (Ugh)

ok, maybe sucks is a little bit too much...i don't hate the movie, i've seen it at least 4 or 5 times, but i dunno...it's the kind of movie i watch if i want a quick laugh, but not a really serious movie like the others...

since you did a ranking...

1.chasing amy

2.clerks

3.dogma

4.mallrats

5.jersey girl

6.jay and silent bob

i didn't think jersey girl was bad at all...the ending blowed, especially with "let my love open the door" playing, but there was still that signature great kevin smith dialouge and i thought it was still pretty good.

I remember seeing Jay on Off The Record, he said his favorite hockey player of all time was Sean Burke and he used to be Burke in road hockey..He actually seems like a dick...Ah well, movie should be rad

I saw it at his Vulgarthon in Red Bank last month and it was great. It started a little slow to me but really picked up steam and had some moments far funnier than anything in Clerks. The ending was great. If anyone is interested, on August 8th they're showing Clerks outside the Quick Stop in Leonardo for free. Kevin Smith will be there and there is an open roller hockey game being held before the screening. It's sponsored by NetFlix so I'm sure somewhere on their site you can find details or if you dig deep on newsaskew.com, you can find some info as well. I remember seeing Clerks at the Hazlet multiplex in November of 1994. I worked in a sh!tty video store at the time and it felt like the movie was made for me. It was the only theater in the state it was playing at, been on board ever since.

they've been on O&A all week and they've been doing nothing but rave about this movie... I really can't wait to see it... more so after hearing Joel Siegel was so offended he walked out 40 minutes in.... SCORE !!!! B )

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well. The first one was EXCELLENT. The dialogue was top-notch.

Anyways, since other people are posting, here's how I rank 'em:

1) Clerks

2) Chasing Amy

3) Dogma

4) Jersey Girl

5) Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

6) Mallrats

To this day, I can't figure out how "Mallrats" ranks so high on peoples' lists. All that goofy physical humor ruined it for me.

Oh wow, Jay and Silent Bob fight some security guards...

*yawn*

it's not Jay and Silent Bob, it's either Chasing Amy, Dogma, or Mallrats.

I thought they filmed Mallrats in Minnesota (Eden Prairie Mall, like that's in NJ), so maybe one of the other two.

Excepting Dogma, I feel like Smith has gone down hill with each successive movie, but I'm guardedly optimistic that this will be good. But didn't he say that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was supposed to be the end of them and the whole universe his first few films were set in? I guess Jersey Girl put an end to any ideas he had about transitioning into other kinds of movies.

My list would be:

1. Clerks

2. Dogma

3. Mallrats

4. Chasing Amy

then a huge gap

5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

6. Jersey Girl

I can't wait to see it. Kevin Smith is great, but I agree his movies seem to lose a little something with each successive one. Did anyone see "an evening with Kevin Smith", I caught it on HBO, or Starz, or something like that, and it was really cool. He seems like a cool, normal guy.

Bruins, I really liked Chasing Amy was my favorite Smith film also, though I didn't like the whole Ben Affleck ending scenes, with him, and his roomate, like the whole gay vibe. (I am trying not to say too much in case some haven't seen it yet), but anyway that whole scene didn't ring true to me, like the rest of the movie did. I thought that whole scene in the apartment at the end could have been done much better, and still end the movie with the same results, at the comic convention and all. Great movie otherwise, but that ending just didn't ring true to me.

chris

Edited by chrisg19

i dunno, i really enjoyed the ending for various reasons...ah, it's hard for me to say why cuz it might give it away. but i just felt like, it rang out as another run of life and how love jsut kinda flows like that...i dunno. i enjoyed it.

if there is any complaint i COULD have over the movie it's the way it started off as absolutely hillarious, like a joke every other second, then trailed off into more serious, but still jokes here and there....the flow wasn't consistent, and my one friend didn't like it as much as clerks or mall rats, because of that reason....i honestly loved it because it included all those elements...but meh.

thanks for bringing up an evening with kevin smith...i loved it. it was really long, but so enjoyable.

So I've seen the movie:

Jesus, it's disturbing at times. The Donkey Show is pretty much you get what you pay for. As weird as it was, Jay doing the Buffalo Bill dance was probably more disturbing. The dance was much easier to laugh at though. There is a lot more interraction between Dante/Randal and Jay/Silent Bob in this one, and it works really well at times. The choreographed dancing scene, while just pointless, was funny because it seemed more like a comment on those scenes in movies.

The ending is kinda convoluted, and it doesn't feel as "real" to me as the first one, but compared to your run-of-the mill Sandler, Spade, generic-comic starring movie, it's realy good. And there's some genuine heart in this movie.

Using Clerks I as 10/10, This is 7.5/10.

ya so i'm 16, but i managed to sneak in. it worked out nicely. "are you 17?" "...i forgot to bring my liscence, i didn't drive! well here's my school ID it shows that i'm going to be a senior." "but are you 17." "sure." "ok"

i pretty much agree on most counts with devils dude. i really liked it still. just below mallrats for me.

Have you seen the animated series? If you watch it in order, it's hilarious.

I've decided my favorite scenes all involve Jay. When he and Randal start singing to Elias, and the payoff of the Buffalo Bill scene.

I know it's so vulgar, but it's just so unexpected and it goes by so quickly that you can't help but laugh.

I thought Rosario Dawson fit into the Askewniverse surprisingly poorly. I was disappointed with her.

I like the movie more when I think about it.

Saw the movie last night. It was simply "okay," about on part with J&SBSB. It went way, WAY over the top at times.

Jay's take on "Silence Of The Lambs" was funny until we got that final shot. Jesus...we did *not* need to see that.

The donkey show...very uncomfortable and, quite frankly, not very funny. Especially Elias' reaction to the show.

Anybody else cringe at the "porch monkey" bit?

The choreographed dance number...blecch! Unnecessary and downright cornball.

Having said that, I still got plenty of laughs, especially compared to other "comedies" I watch these days. But, I still expect more from KS. I keep thinking we'll get something on par with the original "Clerks," and I'm holding him to that standard.

There was some great dialogue in there, and I thought the Elias character was a great foil to Randal. Rosario Dawson was good (great jiggle shots while she danced on the roof...oh my!), and I found myself enjoying those quieter, more serious scenes.

But overall, somewhere in the middle of the pack of his films.

i saw the animated series, i thought they were hillarious. randal and bandaid are classic.

porch monkey was my friend's favorite part of the movie.

i don't know which part i liked the most...maybe the lord of the rings? probably not...i dunno. can't think right now...maybe it will come to me later.