Rick DiPietro is cleared to play

LOTCB

I hope Rick is not rushing back too fast...for the sake of his long term health

Rick

DiPietro cleared to play with Islanders

TSN.ca Staff

4/12/2007 11:01:14 PM

The New York Islanders' playoff chances improved late Thursday night, as the team announced that goaltender Rick DiPietro has been cleared to play and will take part in a full practice on Friday.

DiPietro, recovering from two concussions, did not dress in Thursday's 4-1 loss against the Buffalo Sabres and watched the game from a luxury box at HSBC Arena.

Wade Dubielewicz started Game 1 of the best-of-seven series and stopped 31 of 35 Buffalo shots.

DiPietro sustained two concussions 12 days apart last month. He skated on his own Tuesday, but hasn't practiced with the team since a loss to the New York Rangers on March 25. He missed the final seven games of the regular season.

Dubielewicz emerged as a surprise star for the Islanders down the stretch.

He won his final four starts, including a 3-2 shootout win over New Jersey on Sunday, in helping the Islanders sneak into the playoffs on the final day of the regular season.

I disagree here.... Dublinwicz (whatever :P) has certainly earned the right to take this team as far as he can at this point... and like you said... 31 of 35 saves... doesn't sound like it's his fault at all

mind you I was busy elsewhere with a more relevant game :P

and I agree on the long term health of DiPo also

They play with more confidence with him in net. The Isles have to do this is they want to have a chance.

7, the Carp had better pray that Dip is absolutely healthy because if he's not and he goes down again with another concussion because they rushed him back, they're going to rue the day that they allowed him back on the ice.

I hope he is fit and ready for his own good.

Edited by IceThief

I don't think it's that he'll ruin his physical health playing with PCS... it's that he'll suck and he's just fvckin' with his hockey mindset. He's not messing with his health per se but with his career for sure, and his mental well being.

and I don't think you can trust a guy with PCS... he can't trust himself. He's thinking he's just missing hockey - I'm sure one must think if they could just get back int the game things will click -- but you know if he tries to fight his way through it, :noclue: knwoing one's mental strength I think has got to be the most difficult thing for us stupid humans.

I guess point is we hope the organization isn't rushing him back. Very tough call :(

The Isles will definantely play a different style with Rick behind the pipes...seems to me last night the Isles were 'sitting back' trying to protect Dubie and thus that cost the Islanders chances on Miller.

With DP in net, the Isles will be more aggressive and give them more scoring opportuities.

Saving grace from Rick might be, I do not recall goalies struggling with concussions, do you? :noclue:

I just hope whatever he decides, he stays healthy.

I don't think it's that he'll ruin his physical health playing with PCS... it's that he'll suck and he's just fvckin' with his hockey mindset. He's not messing with his health per se but with his career for sure, and his mental well being.

and I don't think you can trust a guy with PCS... he can't trust himself. He's thinking he's just missing hockey - I'm sure one must think if they could just get back int the game things will click -- but you know if he tries to fight his way through it, :noclue: knwoing one's mental strength I think has got to be the most difficult thing for us stupid humans.

I guess point is we hope the organization isn't rushing him back. Very tough call :(

Problem is, he just might be screwing up his health. He's far more susceptible now to getting yet another, and worse, concussion. The brain needs time to heal - he takes one shot to the head and who know's how long he'll suffer. He might just wind up being one of those athletes who has to carry his address with him on a piece of paper because he can't remember it.

True true - his brain is more fragile and his reflexes/defenses are slowed... yeah, the little dude shouldn't play. I guess everyone just thinks Lindros is an extra pig pansy and it can't happen to them the same way.

I just understand how easy it would be for a player to make the wrong decision and I know how hard it would be for a team to go along with it.