Missed the game last night

COdevsfan

I was out playing hockey myself and missed the game. I am trying to weed through the threads but know that people write out of reaction more than anything during the game. I'd love a thread about thoughtful, constructive reactions to the game. Here are some questions to get it started.

Did they solve any of the breakout issues from the previous two games? Are they still trying the structured breakout from behind the net that normally works but TB seems to break up with their aggressive forcheck?

Besides during breakout, where they connecting on other passes?

What, besides lack of heart, do people think is preventing the EGG line from being an offensive force? THis one is puzzling me. Is it related to the breakout issues or just that the TB line is out hustling them so they are forced to play more defensively and never get to the offensive zone?

Thanks for any answers/responses or other constructive comments.

There's not much positive you can take from last nights game, the Devils got lucky when Boyle dropped to block a shot and it deflected off his leg and into the net.

Besides that it was dump and turnover all night long...Marty looked off again...it was a very hard game to watch.

Edited by emptynet

they really just aren't playing with much fire - they don't seem to want it. They're sitting back and playing very passive, there is -0- aggression, lazy forecheck, lack of hitting, no physical play, continue to just back off and give TB room to move the puck up ice as they still play the patient/wait for turnovers game plan. Problem with that is when they do get a turnover, they don't capitalize, they aren't fast enough to get breakaways out of them, their shots are being kept to the outside, there's nobody crashing the net to scoop up the numerous rebounds holquest keeps leaving all over the place. It's one thing to dump the puck in, but if you're not going to chase it and battle along the boards, that becomes pretty inneffective. It's one thing to get a lot of shots on net, but if you don't have the second and third players crashing the net for the rebounds and you just keep shooting from the side boards or top of circle, with little to no traffic in front, well, that really doesn't do much good either.

Long and short of it is that the bolts are outplaying the devils in every aspect of the game right now. In fact, they're basically playing the game NJ used to play back in the days when NJ won those cups.

The team needs to be more aggessive and less passive. It's the stanley cup playoffs, they need to WANT it now. They could also use a leader and at least one player with a real Mean Streak in him, you know players like claude lemieux, peter forsberg, darren mccarty, ken daneyko who really just knew how and when to get nasty and do the dirty work necessary to win at this level. We don't even have anyone willing to face wash midget st.louis when he takes two or three hacks at marty's glove after a whistle.

This isn't going to get better. The only way I see this turning around is if we steal Game 4 via bounces, penalties, Marty, whatever -- but we need to steal Game 4 to hope for an attitude change, because it's not coming in Game 4.

There's got to be a solution to the breakout issue. I know the Devils love the controled breakout but its just not working. Maybe short quick passes rather than trying to get speed from deep in our zone and skating it into the zone or dumping after gaining the redline?

I can't believe its a lack of heart, I'm just not that cynical. To me something with the system isn't working and since this is a team that works on systems the coaches need to figure it out and teach the players quick.

The goals against are also puzzling. yes, you can blame Marty for not being "Marty" but what I noticed in games 1 and 2 is that the Devils weren't covering people. I couldn't figure out if they were playing some sort of "zone" and TB was just cycling out of these zones or if the Devils were just blowing "man on man" assignments.

There's got to be a solution to the breakout issue. I know the Devils love the controled breakout but its just not working. Maybe short quick passes rather than trying to get speed from deep in our zone and skating it into the zone or dumping after gaining the redline?

I can't believe its a lack of heart, I'm just not that cynical. To me something with the system isn't working and since this is a team that works on systems the coaches need to figure it out and teach the players quick.

The goals against are also puzzling. yes, you can blame Marty for not being "Marty" but what I noticed in games 1 and 2 is that the Devils weren't covering people. I couldn't figure out if they were playing some sort of "zone" and TB was just cycling out of these zones or if the Devils were just blowing "man on man" assignments.

ie the lacavalier goal...he waits for the pass to come behind the goal - it doesn't get there, the devils player leaves him, he comes out in front and tips in the shot...

they really just aren't playing with much fire - they don't seem to want it. They're sitting back and playing very passive, there is -0- aggression, lazy forecheck, lack of hitting, no physical play, continue to just back off and give TB room to move the puck up ice as they still play the patient/wait for turnovers game plan. Problem with that is when they do get a turnover, they don't capitalize, they aren't fast enough to get breakaways out of them, their shots are being kept to the outside, there's nobody crashing the net to scoop up the numerous rebounds holquest keeps leaving all over the place. It's one thing to dump the puck in, but if you're not going to chase it and battle along the boards, that becomes pretty inneffective. It's one thing to get a lot of shots on net, but if you don't have the second and third players crashing the net for the rebounds and you just keep shooting from the side boards or top of circle, with little to no traffic in front, well, that really doesn't do much good either.

Long and short of it is that the bolts are outplaying the devils in every aspect of the game right now. In fact, they're basically playing the game NJ used to play back in the days when NJ won those cups.

The team needs to be more aggessive and less passive. It's the stanley cup playoffs, they need to WANT it now. They could also use a leader and at least one player with a real Mean Streak in him, you know players like claude lemieux, peter forsberg, darren mccarty, ken daneyko who really just knew how and when to get nasty and do the dirty work necessary to win at this level. We don't even have anyone willing to face wash midget st.louis when he takes two or three hacks at marty's glove after a whistle.

pretty much everything here can be boiled down the the first sentence -- they want it more than the Devs do.

At points last night, the Devs dictated play but never for long enough nor with the needed results.

Part of the reason that for 9 years straight in the NHL a #7 seed has upset a #2 seed is that the #7 team can make it's entire season better with a playoff win, whereas #2 might be content with their 100-point season. Who knows...

Bottom line is (although I know they are trying very hard) Lou was right, perhaps we are just not mentally ready to go thru a wall for 60-minutes a night, let alone for 7 nights in order to win a series..

We'll find out the answer tomorrow.

Truths :

The devs looked bad at times - TB looked too much to handle

We are being schooled on D - but we have 2 rooks a guy whos played 2 games all year and Whitey hurt.

Marty has not been sharp - and very unlucky , were acustomed to see him being good and fortunate - maybe their sides of the same coin.

Langs PariseTravis seem the only ones making any hey altough Rupp seemed spririted at the onset. Sarge got drilled early in the game and somehow that was a theme thruout. We need to hit both Vinny and Marty - if anything to at least slow down the overwhelming confidence they show and utter disrespect they display on Marty with the shots they take.

We must have dumped the puck 90% of the night and lost as much. We had a 5 -3 which could have changed the game and a golden shortie that would have for sure. The is the same team we've been fed for the last 2+ months of the season with the glaring difference that Marty has not saved our bacon - so I dont know how anyone can be surprised. I still maintain we win this series we win the cup. ImO :koolaid:

Part of the reason that for 9 years straight in the NHL a #7 seed has upset a #2 seed is that the #7 team can make it's entire season better with a playoff win, whereas #2 might be content with their 100-point season. Who knows...

Bottom line is (although I know they are trying very hard) Lou was right, perhaps we are just not mentally ready to go thru a wall for 60-minutes a night, let alone for 7 nights in order to win a series..

We'll find out the answer tomorrow.

I don't think it's that the #2 seed is content with their regular season, I think it's more that since they did so well during the season they must have nothing but the Cup on their mind and so the first round seems like it should be a cakewalk. I would think it is probably natural to think, "Oh we get to play the #7 team, this shouldn't be too hard." Meanwhile the #7 team knows they are the underdog so the only thing on their minds is pulling an upset, so while #2 is thinking "this should be easy," #7 is preparing themselves for a real challenge.