Shanny taking a shot at Marty?

Hellacious_D

I think that what makes the game more exciting is scoring chances, not necessarily actual goals. The new rules allow for more scoring chances, and I think that will help sell the game. However, restricting what goalies can do has a direct effect on the amount of goals scored, and not the amount of scoring chances that a team gets. With more scoring chances, regardless of the amount of goals scored, it would be easier to sell the game, so there is no reason to restrict goalies.

I think that what makes the game more exciting is scoring chances, not necessarily actual goals. The new rules allow for more scoring chances, and I think that will help sell the game. However, restricting what goalies can do has a direct effect on the amount of goals scored, and not the amount of scoring chances that a team gets. With more scoring chances, regardless of the amount of goals scored, it would be easier to sell the game, so there is no reason to restrict goalies.

correctomundo my friend! It took a couple of sentences for you to get there but you finally said...so there is no reason to restrict goalies.Terriffic,so to sum it all up...Martin Broduer is the "BEST GOALTENDER OF ALL TIME" and Gary Bettman is a HORSES ASS!! oh and the rules committee SUCKS!! One more thing...SHANAHAN you should have retired last year you frickin LOSER! But I will tell you that in person on Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 7:00pm.

Edited by Guest

Edited by Triumph

this is not true. the worse goalies are, the greater the chance of scoring, and thus more scoring chances. too large a % of shots in the NHL have no chance of going in.

you used to see guys like hull or larmer or w/e rip shots off the wing - just doesn't happen much anymore. both defenses and goalies have been able to defend against that shot to the point where it's not taken that much - but it's a pretty exciting play.

pre-lockout, way too many goals were simply 'jam as many guys near the front of the net as possible and hope the puck goes in' - it was bad hockey, pure and simple. the competition committee is trying to make the game better and everyone uses it as an excuse to crap on bettman - it's ridiculous.

and as everyone said aside from the goalie stick handling rule (which i'm beginning to think is a good one - i'm sure i'll be crucified for that around here) - brodeur benefits from equipment changes to goalies.

What the NHL needs is an official fans commity.

One appointed representative from each teams fans who meet, and discuss with the leauge the though of the fans.

All these commities seem to do is, try and guess or predict what fans want to see, and make up a rule to suit.

How about just asking the fans instead.

As for Brodeur leaving the commity and mabey never attending , who cares, i would have left after the trapiziod crap. Good for marty.

this is not true. the worse goalies are, the greater the chance of scoring, and thus more scoring chances. too large a % of shots in the NHL have no chance of going in.

you used to see guys like hull or larmer or w/e rip shots off the wing - just doesn't happen much anymore. both defenses and goalies have been able to defend against that shot to the point where it's not taken that much - but it's a pretty exciting play.

pre-lockout, way too many goals were simply 'jam as many guys near the front of the net as possible and hope the puck goes in' - it was bad hockey, pure and simple. the competition committee is trying to make the game better and everyone uses it as an excuse to crap on bettman - it's ridiculous.

and as everyone said aside from the goalie stick handling rule (which i'm beginning to think is a good one - i'm sure i'll be crucified for that around here) - brodeur benefits from equipment changes to goalies.

Edited by Guest

I guess my point was this.. In 2001 we led the league in scoring and also were near the top in defense. People still claimed our team was boring.

Like most of you, I thought that was the finest devils team ever assembled.

We still lost.. Albeit in game 7 of the finals, but we lost nonetheless.

The other people in the area (who are of course fans of the other teams) are going to say what they're going to say about our team. They'll still call 'em boring, even when they lead the league in goals. It already happened.

I say who cares. I like watching them win cups. And my ass is in a seat regardless.

According to Colin Campbell, stopping the goalie from playing the puck as much was supposed to bring the shot from the wing back. I never understood that one and I still don't but that was the official league explaination for limiting the goalie's ability to play the puck. So why hasn't it happened - unless Colie is an idiot or they were lying. Because I always contended that all it would do is generate more offence off the cycle and, for teams who have a goalie who could play the puck and pass it from back there, stop them from starting their rush back up the ice, cutting back on their offensive chances. But the official position of the league, as expressed through Colin Campbell, was that the trapezoid would bring back the shot and goal from the wing.

Personally, I think larger goaltenders and larger upper-body equipment make it less likely that the shot, which tended to go in mid to high on goalies, would be as effective anyway. In order to really make that shot what it once was, if shooters used it often, you'd have to limit goalie height and cut back on upper-body armor. Or increase the size of the nets.

What the NHL needs is an official fans commity.

One appointed representative from each teams fans who meet, and discuss with the leauge the though of the fans.

All these commities seem to do is, try and guess or predict what fans want to see, and make up a rule to suit.

How about just asking the fans instead.

As for Brodeur leaving the commity and mabey never attending , who cares, i would have left after the trapiziod crap. Good for marty.

The trapezoid was to encourage more of a forecheck. It's worked.

And for all the talk that it limits guys like Brodeur and Turco, they have taken full advantage of no red line to transition odd-man rushes.

So it's evened out Imo.