Sutter's final fling before Devils open

msweet

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Saturday, August 18, 2007

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

On Monday, Brent Sutter will gather his team of Canadian junior hockey all-stars in Toronto for one practice on their native soil before the group flies to Russia for a Super Series against the best under-20 players from that country.

The series is being modeled after the 1972 Super Series between NHL stars from Canada and the powerful Soviet Union squad, with four games being played in Russia and four in Canada.

Sutter committed to coach Team Canada before he agreed to become the head coach of the Devils in July. With Lou Lamoriello's blessing, he's following through on that and won't be back in New Jersey until Sept. 12 -- the day before the Devils' veterans report for training camp physicals.

Aside from being "another experience for myself that will hopefully make me a better coach" -- Team Russia will be coached by former Ranger and Devil Sergei Nemchinov -- it will also probably be Sutter's last opportunity to coach his son, Brandon.

Brandon, a Carolina Hurricanes first-round draft pick, played for Sutter in Red Deer on the junior team he still owns in Alberta. And, in a way, this Super Series will be Sutter's farewell to that town, which will host Game 7 of the series Sept. 7.

"It's probably a good chance it will be the last game I coach in Red Deer," he admitted. "That's home to me. I moved back there when I quit playing. I've had the ranch for quite a few years. ... That's where our kids have been raised. My wife is from there. And I've owned the hockey team since 1999 and the success we've had, it becomes very close to your heart."

After the series ends, Sutter will turn his heart and mind toward the Devils and getting that team ready for its Oct. 4 opener at Tampa Bay.

His approach won't change, though.

"I've always done this for the players," he said, "to give them opportunities to be successful and that's my mind-set as coach. Really, it's no different coming here to New Jersey. My mind-set is the same."

E-mail: gulitti@northjersey.com

Pretty sure this was the sentiment with Burns, or Julien. Im not optimistic about a guy with no NHL coaching experience lasting any longer then the previous set of coaches. It would be nice for some head coach stability for a few years but Lou seems to know what he is doing...ish

Pretty sure this was the sentiment with Burns, or Julien. Im not optimistic about a guy with no NHL coaching experience lasting any longer then the previous set of coaches. It would be nice for some head coach stability for a few years but Lou seems to know what he is doing...ish