Do The iPod Shuffle!!!

njskaguy33

Here's the game. Bust out your iPod (or music/media player of choice), put that puppy on shuffle and write down the first 10 songs it picked for you. It's a good way of seeing what your musical tastes are and a great oppurtunity for all of us to make fun of that Christina Aguilera song you thought you deleted. ;) Be honest too...it's more fun that way!

Here's mine...

1. Spring Heeled Jack - MCMLIX (1959) - Standard late 90's ska/punk....decent start...

2. Dropkick Murphys - Front Seat - Rarity off their first Singles Comp.

3. Skankin' Pickle - Make a Change - Back to mid 90s ska/punk

4. Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot - Jeez...never even heard this song before...not bad!

5. Bobby Darin - You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You - Slick version of the Dean Martin classic

6. Roland Alphonso - Phoenix City - 60's era ska/dancehall/rocksteady

7. Weezer - El Scorcho - Great track off the underappreciated Pinkerton

8. Barenaked Ladies - Wind it Up - Love the BNL....what can I say

9. Monty Python - the Spam Song - Spaaaaaam...Spaaaaaam...Spamity Spam!!!

10. Undercover S.K.A. - Caballitos Pintados - Ugh...hoping it wouldn't end with the atypical latin/ska tune...oh well...

There ya go! Feel free to post as many lists as you like!

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. "Passion's Killing Floor" by HIM

2. "Sell Your Soul" by Kill Cheerleader [awesome band! check them out http://www.myspace.com/killcheerleader ]

3. "Devils Daughter" by Silvertide

4. "Travelin' Band" by The Heart Attacks

5. "Like Light to the Flies" by Trivium

6. "User Friendly" by Marilyn Manson

7. "To the End" by My Chemical Romance

8. "Earth People" by Hay & Stone

9. "Sail Away [benztown Remix]" by the Rasmus

10. "Passion" All That Remains

1. Dirty Little Rockstar- The Cult

2. Gimme More-Britney Spears<---------- haha

3. Teenagers-My Chemical Romance

4. One Night Stand-Bryan Adams

5. Lake Fever- Tragically Hip

6. Say-Low Level Flight

7. Stay The Night-Jully Black

8. December-Juke Kartel (the band of the guy from the show Rockstar Supernova, Toby Rand)

9. Under The Sun-Sugar Ray

10. What Would You Do-Tha Dogg Pound

Fun game!

1. After Midnight - Eric Clapton

2. Come As You Are (Unplugged) - Nirvana

3. When The World Ends - Dave Matthews Band

4. Which One Of Them - Garth Brooks

5. Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms :blink:

6. The Nutcracker Suite - Berlin Symphony Orchestra :blink::blink: (my iPod must know it's Christmas)

7. Garden - Pearl Jam

8. No Reply - The Beatles (Anthology)

9. Rhythm Of The Saints - Paul Simon

10. California Love - 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre

01 The Sounds - Hit Me!

02 Third Eye Blind - Tattoo the Sun

03 boysetsfire - Release the Dogs

04 The Police - Driven by Tears

05 Tegan and Sara - The Con

06 Lovedrug - Rocknroll

07 Moneen - The Song I Swore to Never Sing

08 Imogen Heap - Have You Got it in You?

09 Tegan and Sara - Time Running

10 The Honorary Title - Apologize

Just because I like doing stuff like this, I'm gonna do it again with my Winamp, which should provide (potentially) much scarier results...

01 The Crystal Method - American Way

02 311 - Tune In

03 Against Me! - Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart

04 TaTu - Robot

05 Deltron - Memory Loss

06 NOFX - The Marxist Brothers

07 Tegan and Sara - We Didn't Do it

08 AFI - Totalimmortal

09 Red Animal War - 77 (Live)

10 Chantal Kreviazuk - Time

Well I don't have an ipod shuffle, but I do have winamp with shuffle on....here goes, bear in mind that lots of "my" music is not on my work computer, it is on the computer at home.....but anyways, lets see what we get this time round:

1) Hole - She Walks on Me (haven't listened to Hole for ages.......guess I just haven't needed to, plus the neighbours probably wouldn't like it too much)

2) Motion City Soundtrack - Don't Call it a Comeback (not sure I have heard this exact song before, my bf just added a load of new music, but I like it :) )

3) The Living End - I Want a Day (ditto above....I should shuffle this directory more often)

4) Weezer - Slob (Maladroit is not my favourite of Weezer albums, a bit too whiny, but hey, I don't have to listen to it all the time)

5) Spandau Ballet - Paint Me Down (did I mention that it isn't me that downloads most of our music? can I skip listening this to the end?)

6) Yellowcard - Violins (I have been going off Yellowcard of late, I mean I still kinda like the sound, but I've been skipping them a lot lately)

7) Bjork - Come to Me (now this is my music, but I haven't listened to Bjork in eons, I used to have a great various tape with Bjork, Portishead and other "mellow" music, was great for bus journeys on rainy days....I can still remember one distinct time coming back from a geography field trip, damn it was dull)

8) Foo Fighters - Weenie Beenie (not my favourite FF track, but I'll take it)

9) Bad Religion - The Lie (one of my bf's favourite bands, some of their stuff I like some just annoys me, force me to listen to an entire album in one go and I might get antsy, but this is actually possibly my favourite of their tracks, so I am OK with it)

(Aside, why does my freaking thermal mug keep leaking when I drink from it, argghhh, I am getting coffee all over my keyboard)

10) (and I save the best for last, yay) Manic Street Preachers - Sculpture of a Man (one of my all time favourite bands, but not the new stuff...Everything Must Go was on the down hill slope (ooh yay more Manics now), but this was the B-side to.....Faster, I believe. I listened to The Holy Bible the other day, I love it more every time I listen to it)

And there ya go, complete with commentary.

I'll try this again at home when I have my full library, but this is the first ten that pop up on my iPhone:

1) Supersatellite - Our Lady Peace

2) Last Day of our Acquaintance - Sinead O'Connor

3) Still Desire You - Melanie Doane (check out this song!! I love it!! 5 stars!)

4) The Couch - Alanis Morrisette

5) Soul Searching - Chantal Kreviazuk

6) Scoff - Nirvana

7) The theme song from "Due South"

8) Steaming - Sarah McLachlan

9) Dust in the Wind - Sarah Brightman covering Kansas

10) Genocide - Offspring

Wow. 50% Can-con.

1) wishbone - dropbox

2) my immortal - evanescence

3) but its better if you do - panic at the disco

4) bandages - hot hot heat

5) attention please - caroline's spine

6) breaking out - clit 45

7) rooster - alice in chains

8) a story about a girl - our lady peace

9) thoughts before me - amber pacific

10) when we fall - love equals death

I'm one of those weirdos who puts their entire library on their iPod, so this may or may not accurately reflect what I actually listen to regularly, but here goes...

1. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince

2. An Ode To No One - Smashing Pumpkins

3. Be Here Now - Oasis

4. One Night Stand - Janis Joplin

5. Light As The Breeze - Billy Joel

6. Spanish Inquisition Part 3 - Monty Python

7. U Got The Look - Prince (hey, no fairsies picking two songs from the same greatest hits album... that's it, I'm doing that one over...)

7a. Alive - Meat Loaf (eh... Bat Out Of Hell III... quite possibly my least favorite Meat Loaf album...)

8. And So It Goes - Billy Joel (son of a... it did it again! Do-over!)

8a. Easy Rider - Janis Joplin (that's the third time now... I thought I had more music than this...)

8b. Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band - Beatallica

9. Mama Kin - Aerosmith

10. Midnight At The Lost And Found (Live) - Meat Loaf (repeated artist, but different album, so I'll let it go...)

Okay, so I cheated. Sue me. :P And I'm quite disappointed at the choices it made... I'll have to do this again soon and see if I get anything better. Either that or I'll do what Don suggested the last time we did this and make up some playlists and start rating songs.

I'm one of those weirdos who puts their entire library on their iPod, so this may or may not accurately reflect what I actually listen to regularly, but here goes...

1. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince

2. An Ode To No One - Smashing Pumpkins

3. Be Here Now - Oasis

4. One Night Stand - Janis Joplin

5. Light As The Breeze - Billy Joel

6. Spanish Inquisition Part 3 - Monty Python

7. U Got The Look - Prince (hey, no fairsies picking two songs from the same greatest hits album... that's it, I'm doing that one over...)

7a. Alive - Meat Loaf (eh... Bat Out Of Hell III... quite possibly my least favorite Meat Loaf album...)

8. And So It Goes - Billy Joel (son of a... it did it again! Do-over!)

8a. Easy Rider - Janis Joplin (that's the third time now... I thought I had more music than this...)

8b. Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band - Beatallica

9. Mama Kin - Aerosmith

10. Midnight At The Lost And Found (Live) - Meat Loaf (repeated artist, but different album, so I'll let it go...)

Okay, so I cheated. Sue me. :P And I'm quite disappointed at the choices it made... I'll have to do this again soon and see if I get anything better. Either that or I'll do what Don suggested the last time we did this and make up some playlists and start rating songs.

Batman Theme Reprise - Batman Soundtrack (Danny Elfman)

Bond Underwater - Thunderball Soundtrack (John Barry)

Far From Home - ET Soundtrack (John Williams)

Attack on the Helicopter - Jaws 2 Soundtrack (John Williams)

Moving Jenny - Commando Soundtrack (James Horner)

Presenting the Hook - Hook Soundtrack (John Williams)

I'm Keeping Him - ET Soundtrack (John Williams)

Nobody Does it Better - Spy Who Loved Me Soundtrack (Marvin Hamlisch)

Offshore - Cincane (Cafe Del Mar)

River - Watermark (Enya)

Ok I give up, BP, i can't quote you for some weird reason, but in response to your random theory:

In the sense you mean the word "random" it's as random as it gets. Technically nothing is really random but we live with "random enough" which is what you get here.

For the sector idea to hold true files would have to be written neatly on a disk one bit after another but thats just not how its done. HD's spin so fast that files are written in "jumps". I forget the name of the process but if you look at a contiguous block on a harddrive (assuming you could read it) it would contain pieces to hundreds of different files before it hit the next piece from the same file again.

That said, you arn't "totally" off base. Ipods load music into its onboard ram which can hold about 50 songs on it before it needs to go to the harddrive for more information. Assuming your on shuffle your Ipod is going to try and take from that buffer when ever possible unless it can't (to avoid repeats, if you explicitly tell it to play a song that wasn't in the buffer etc...) But there is no good reason to not actually randomly load those songs into the "buffer". It wouldn't save anytime and people would be angry at repetitive music.

Really the easiest way to see this is pick different songs to play, at some point (of course you wont know exactly when buut..) your ipod has to goto the harddrive and load a song into it's ram before it starts playing and it does this incredibly fast; so fast that you will probably never notice. If it can do this without you ever noticing why wouldn't it always do it?

Edited by squishyx

OK...attempt #2, lets see if Winamp can do better:

1) Everclear - All fvcked up

2) Feeder - Forgive (the first ever proper band I saw live, they rocked, and I got to meet the band, RIP Jon Lee)

3) Bjork - Army of Me

4) Lemonheads - Bit Part (wow, been a loooooong time)

5) The Specials - Ghost Town (how can you not love this song!)

6) Teen Idols - Pucker Up

7) Ataris - Clara

8) Goldfinger - Too Late (I love Goldfinger)

9) Good Charlotte - My Bloody Valentine

10) Blink-182 - Stay Together for the Kids

And squishy....nothing is truely random, because you cannot program random, it requires an equation, therefore it is not randomed, but picked.

And winamp is NOT even vaguely random. We used to listen to our whole catalogue of music on random (so about 20GB) and it would always pick the same songs, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that britney spears song (god I really can't remember the name) because of winamps "shuffle" <_<

1) Just Like a Woman - Bob Dylan

2) El Ciervo Vulnerado - The Mars Volta

3) Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

4) Slippery People - Talking Heads

5) New Deep - John Mayer

6) Get Up Stand Up - Bob Marley

7) Silence Kid - Pavement

8) Lime Tree - Bright Eyes

9) Why Dose Love Got to Be So Sad? - Derek and the Dominoes

10) A Spoonful Weighs a Ton - The Flaming Lips

And squishy....nothing is truely random, because you cannot program random, it requires an equation, therefore it is not randomed, but picked.

And winamp is NOT even vaguely random. We used to listen to our whole catalogue of music on random (so about 20GB) and it would always pick the same songs, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that britney spears song (god I really can't remember the name) because of winamps "shuffle" <_<