Devils get an early start on break

Devilsdude530

When asked afterward if his team handed the game to the Habs, Devils coach Brent Sutter angrily replied, “Damn right we did.”

Sutter was so upset that he ordered a 30-minute team stationary bicycle workout after the game before the players could head their separate ways for the break.

“If they don't like it, too bad,” Sutter said. “Patting themselves on the back. They've already got their plans going to Vegas or wherever they’re going when the game is half over. I can't accept that. They can work in the gym now if they don't want to work on the ice."

Edited by Devilsdude530

That's why I hope he is part of this organization for the rest of his life. I would love to see any and all quotes from his post game press conference tonight since I was so lucky enough to be there.

Absolutely.... this team doesn't deserve a Vegas trip right now!

Here's what I want to know: It's a little more obvious in other quotes than in this one, but Sutter says he saw this coming in the SECOND period. Why didn't he say anything during intermission, then? Why did he wait until the final minute of the game to call a timeout if it was obvious the team was falling apart earlier in the period? And this isn't the first time he's done this, either. It seems Sutter is far too content to stand there and watch as the guys take a dump on the ice and then bitch about it to the press afterward rather then being an actual coach and trying to coach the guys during the game. He's more concerned with blaming everyone else and washing his hands of the situation rather than making an attempt to resolve the situation.

Here's what I want to know: It's a little more obvious in other quotes than in this one, but Sutter says he saw this coming in the SECOND period. Why didn't he say anything during intermission, then? Why did he wait until the final minute of the game to call a timeout if it was obvious the team was falling apart earlier in the period? And this isn't the first time he's done this, either. It seems Sutter is far too content to stand there and watch as the guys take a dump on the ice and then bitch about it to the press afterward rather then being an actual coach and trying to coach the guys during the game. He's more concerned with blaming everyone else and washing his hands of the situation rather than making an attempt to resolve the situation.

In his defence, I recall him calling a TO in the Thrasher or Montreal game at the top of Period 3 when things loosened up and started to break down, and even though he did, the guys couldn't focus enough to hold the game together. I do think Sutter would be the first to be accountable for the loss, regardless of how the players performed. He doesn't strike me as they type to make excuses to shift blame from himself. Realistically, he can jump around, yell at them, or dram cartoons on his clipboard all he wants...but if the guys aren't "mentally" prepared to hold a lead, nothing he can do in the 3rd period will change that. His big message, it has seemed, is to some extent he is trying to make the "players" accountable....even the 2/3 time SC cup icons.

Here's what I want to know: It's a little more obvious in other quotes than in this one, but Sutter says he saw this coming in the SECOND period. Why didn't he say anything during intermission, then?

Maybe he did and they just didn't respond :noclue:

Sutter is probably the most aggressive Devils coach ever when it comes to using timeouts so I can't fault him for not using it tonight because obviously he just didn't feel it was the right time to do so, not that he is scared to use it early in a game like almost all other NHL coaches.

Rowdy, I think you're too focused on immediate, regular-season results. Maybe you'd like to see Sutter fire up the boys through a lull during Game No. 41 or whatever the hell it is, but I like the MESSAGE after the game better --- because there's a lesson to be learned that can make this team better in the coming months.

The whole arena could feel the team falling apart.

After the second goal, when they gave up, I turned to my friend who is a Habs fan and said, "You guys are going to win this game. They've gone into 'ride Marty and hope we win' mode."

If the fans can tell, and the coaches can tell, why does it need to be spelled out to the players? It doesn't. They had already given up, and Sutter knows that. The same thing happened in the third against Toronto, but Brodeur stood on his head.

Edited by Devil Dan 56