AHL 2008 Calder Cup Playoffs

Satans Hockey

How is it going to AHL games down there anyhow?

I mean I know up here the teams pretty spoiled with the amount of hardcore fans they've gotten..plus the new building is pretty awesome as well. Gets freaking LOUD too. I remember last season the "HOOOOWWWWAAARDDD" chant could rival ANY nhl fans chants at playoffs. Seriously, you could hear it for a good 10 block radius after we eliminated Grand Rapids. I wish i had recorded how loud it was.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really wanted to make my up to Manitoba to catch a Moose game. If they ever make the Calder Cup Finals than I will most likely make a trip up there.

It really depends on what team you go see. I have been to a good amount of arenas in the AHL so here is my list of the best fans in the AHL. The list is based on only teams arenas I have been to...

(1) Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins - they sellout just about every home game. They all wear white during the playoffs and they are very loud. They also like to travel to just about any road playoff games they can go to. I remember a few years ago when they played in Bridgeport that there was about 5,000 Pens fans and 1,000 Sound Tigers fans.

(2) Hershey Bears - they have a pretty big arena and they also pretty much sellout just about every home playoff game. Their crowds are also very loud and into the games.

(3) Philadelphia Phantoms - In a town where there are so many other sports the Phantoms draw very well. They average around 10,000 people per game and if they get deeper in the playoffs the Spectrum or Center will sell out. When they won the Calder Cup in 05 the Wachovia Center was completely sold out and the crowd was just insanely loud and we celebrated like we just won the Stanley Cup.

(4) Providence Bruins - It's a small arena but it is pretty packed when the team is in the playoffs. I went up there for 2 games during the Phantoms 05 run and the crowd loves to heckle the visiting teams players.

(5) Hartford Wolfpack - They drew around 10,000 people for the one game I went up to there. The crowd is into the game but everyone still just seems depressed cause they don't have an NHL team.

(6) Binghamton Senators - They draw pretty well. I've been to a couple of games up there and they always seem to have a good crowd that is very into the game.

(7) Albany River Rats - I've only seen terrible crowds up there but they had very terrible teams at the time. I haven't been up there since they became the Hurricanes affiliate. To the credit of the fans up there though, the people that were there were very into the game.

(8) Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Pathetic is the right word to describe the Sound Tigers fan base. As much as I love going to their games and as much as I love the arena they play in there is no way of describing their attendance other than pathetic. The only time they ever have a good crowd is when they play Hartford.

This is a pic from the game when the Phantoms won the Cup, they had a "purple out" and gave everyone purple phantoms shirts...

PhantomsCalderCupChampions001.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey

Moose win game 2 in OT, ending Syracuse's thousand game winning streak.. 3-2, Brownie with the Ot goal and Genoway (ick) with a point as well.

Yes you def have to make it up to Winnipeg for a game, during the reg season they average about 6500 a game, which is pretty respectable considering all of the hard core Jets fans that REFUSE to acknowlegde the AHL. And we'll hoof it across the street to have a drink at the Tavern..and we'll have to drag brodeurrocks out too:)

Ohhh that pic is awesome! I remember that series..wasn't it during the lockout year with my boy Antero Nittymaki in nets?

Edited by annabelle

Moose win game 2 in OT, ending Syracuse's thousand game winning streak.. 3-2, Brownie with the Ot goal and Genoway (ick) with a point as well.

Yes you def have to make it up to Winnipeg for a game, during the reg season they average about 6500 a game, which is pretty respectable considering all of the hard core Jets fans that REFUSE to acknowlegde the AHL. And we'll hoof it across the street to have a drink at the Tavern..and we'll have to drag brodeurrocks out too:)

Ohhh that pic is awesome! I remember that series..wasn't it during the lockout year with my boy Antero Nittymaki in nets?

Yup he was in net that year. The Chicago team also had a good amount of NHL guys. Kari Lehtonen was in net for them and they also had Jay Bouwmeester, Joe Corvo, Stephen Weiss, J.P. Vigier, Brad Larsen and Braydon Coburn.

I'm not going to the Phantoms game tonight. I'm going to the Flyers-Caps game tomorrow so I don't feel like driving down there today and tomorrow.

Ick Syracuse win game 3 in OT 2-1.....

The thing is that I was talking to one of the Crunch players last night at the bar and he was WASTED, which says alot because as wasted as I was I still thought to myself, "wow that guys HAMMERED". Ughhh

Also saw them all walking into the MTS today..and I yelled at them because I'm hardcore like that..So the next game I will not yell, "Syracuse SUCKS AS$" because it doesn't seem to do anything....

The Atlantic Division finals are set up and are going to get underway between Providence and Portland on April 26th. Both of those teams took care of their first round opponents pretty quick so their game 1 is actually going to start when other teams may still be playing in the first round but that's just how the minors works.

Ick Syracuse win game 3 in OT 2-1.....

The thing is that I was talking to one of the Crunch players last night at the bar and he was WASTED, which says alot because as wasted as I was I still thought to myself, "wow that guys HAMMERED". Ughhh

Also saw them all walking into the MTS today..and I yelled at them because I'm hardcore like that..So the next game I will not yell, "Syracuse SUCKS AS$" because it doesn't seem to do anything....

Your probably the reason Syracuse won. They were all probably in the locker room like "oh yeah we'll show that girl who yelled at us who sucks ass now" :P

Hahah that's exactly what I was thinking,, I mean I'm SHOCKED they weren't so pysched out by me yelling that at them before their practice..i mean really! Whats scarier than a drive by yelling? This IS in downtown Winnipeg afterall..:P

Nolan BAumgartner got assigned to the Moose by Dallas today, good in a way because he can make a difference but bad in a way as well because my buddy Heshka will get his ice time cut...

Moose win 5-2 tonight against the crunch, series tied..woot, fakk i'm intoxicated! Next game tomorrow and i'll be at that one as well, nice and loud tonight! (B)

It only took one overtime for the Rats to force a Game 7 by beating the Phantoms 1-0 on a Kirk MacDonald goal. We'll have to wait until Tuesday for that deciding matchup, though. Meanwhile, Wilkes-Barre gets to sit around and hopefully collect rust waiting for their next opponent.

Other games on tap in the AHL tonight:

- Portland and Providence kick off the second round early with Game 1 of the Atlantic Division finals tonight at 7 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.

- Syracuse and Manitoba look to break a 2-2 series tie at the MTS Centre. Which number will be higher, goals scored or beers consumed by annabelle as she cheers on her Moose? :evil:

- Chicago hopes to knock off Milwaukee tonight at the Bradley Center as the Wolves hold a 3-2 lead over the Admirals in the West Division semifinals. The winner of this series will go on to face Rockford.

The only active series not being contested tonight is the other half of the North Division semis. Toronto holds a 3-2 edge over San Antonio and home ice advantage with games on Sunday and Monday.

It'll be BEERS SCORED, i mean urrmmmm

SEriously though, it should be a good game tonight. Last nights was a nice quick pace and there will definitely be some bad blood spilling over to today. The Crunch players were slashing and pushing before every face off last night in the third and then after the end horn one of the Crunch players, (i was drunk i can't (remember which one) went and ran the Goalie..which caused a huge scrum but no fights. Obviously they're trying to get the Moose to take some stupid penalties tonight..hopefully there's some fights, there wasn't last night.

Looking forward to brownie kicking some Syracuse as$ and even though I'm going on a date to the game..I'll be drinking steady! woot!

Oh and I hope I'm not sitting in front of some little kid that is holding one of those stupid noisemakers right in my freaking ear all game again..or I'll be forced to take it away and throw it at the parent..no jk..:P

Edited by annabelle

I went to the Phantoms-Rats game today. The ice was horrendous (the Sixers played the night before) players on both teams were falling down a lot for no reason. I think both teams were a bit tired from the other night as well cause the game was very sloppy from both teams. The place was empty. It was around 1,000 people.

The Phantoms got screwed though. One of them went on a breakaway and it should have been a goal because on the rebound Leighton got went entirely back into the net on his own doing. It was clear on the replay that it should have been a goal. Oh well though.

I'll probably end up going to game 7 as well. I took a few pics and I'll post those later.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Wow, So the Crunch win halfway through the first OT 3-2. Ughhh! seriously, i was soo freaking PISSED! It was a HORRIBLE turnover by my buddy Hansen! ARGHHH

On a totally different note, one of the Crunch goalies is uber hot and super nice...too bad he wasn't playing cuz dude was out LATE last night...:(

Wow, So the Crunch win halfway through the first OT 3-2. Ughhh! seriously, i was soo freaking PISSED! It was a HORRIBLE turnover by my buddy Hansen! ARGHHH

On a totally different note, one of the Crunch goalies is uber hot and super nice...too bad he wasn't playing cuz dude was out LATE last night...:(

So, your plan to take out the enemy goalie and liquor him up so the Moose win backfired, eh? Guess you shoulda taken out the other goalie too. :dance:

Haha, nah the other goalie is FUGLY, but maybe I should have, "gotta support the team" right?

San Antonio blanked the Marlies 3-0..

West Div final is Chicago/Rockford

East is Wilkes.B /TBA

I can't believe it's come to this but I'm pulling for Chicago..

nahh, in the series....

Moose all the way! :)

Lets Go Moose!!! WOOT!!

This game is televised here but I have to work until 11pm..:(

Edited by annabelle