Flyers fans

Revan

I'm not a fan of any US sports other than NHL, but some time ago I figured out it may be cool to just take a look at some of the teams (especially Metro Area and Philly ones) in MLB, NFL, NBA etc.

Browsing through different sites I encountered the NBA attendance report and... wow, I didn't even realize the 76ers have some of the worst numbers in the league. So when the Rangers fans laugh at the Devils and their attendance, at least they know both the Rangers and the Knicks sell out well, even when they suck. But I can't imagine how can a Flyers - 76ers fan laugh at us knowing his NBA team draws less fans than the Devils. I mean, I know my favourite team doesn't sell that well and that's why I don't laugh that hard at some teams I dislike in other sports (soccer) just because of their attendance. Because I know it's about the club and the success, not about how many seats you fill. Of course I'm proud when one of my teams has lots of fans and the guys are loud, singing and screaming all game long and I go to the games myself, but if some other teams have attendance problems, I realise that's an issue and that's not something you should laugh at.At least not that often.

I know it's nothing new to you, but I was actually pretty surprised when I saw this. I also don't know if the Philadelphian media bitch about the bad attendance at Wachovia just like New York/New Jersey media bitch about the number of fans at the Meadowlands (I don't think it's THAT much of an issue at the Rock anymore, seriously. The Rangers games are the only ones when a Devil fan can feel humiliated a bit with all those blueshirts in the building, but every other game I think it's allright).

Flyers fans pointing out our attendance issues are pretty classless considered the other team they (or most of them) root for has exactly the same kind of problem, if not worse.

Edited by Revan

Obviously not all Flyers fans root for their local NBA team and I stressed that in my post:

Flyers fans pointing out our attendance issues are pretty classless considered the other team they (or most of them) root for

And yes, I'm comparing different sports. But it's not like comparing hockey, which they play in a 20,000 arena to football and its 50,000 stadiums. We're talking about teams playing in the exact same building.

the sixers have also been a laughing stock for years. back in iverson's early years and when they made it to the NBA finals, they were drawing very well.

if the devils were a losing organization, you would REALLY see what poor attendance is like.

We are unlucky to be in a really tough market for sports in general. We are competing with the rags, isles, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Yankees, Mets and to some extent the flyers. NJ is treated like the bastard son of NY sports. It sucks, but it makes me proud to be a Devils fan.

^ That they are. Unlike the bandwagon Rags jumpers. Most of the Rags fan base are Manhattonites with too much $$ in their pockets and are looking for some nightly entertainment for a few hours. Why not go see that hockey team that plays in MSG right? I have yet to meet a ranger fan (and i have met many) that really showed any kind of extensive hockey knowledge + true passion about his team. Its always about "Oh i catch a game or two" If you ask them to name some of the players on their roster they will be lucky to come up with Jagr, Lundquist, Shanny and maybe now Avery.

Hate them, love them, loathe them...Philly fans can be annoying, brash, downright stupid...but Ill say this: They in general, are a very passionate group of fans who are pretty darn loyal.

Well, they're loyal to the teams. They'll gladly throw players on those teams under the bus and run them over and over and over one more just to make sure.

It is entertaining to watch them get suckered into thinking "This is The Year!" only to have it come crashing down. Biron's current level of play is the *perfect* setup for this. Biron will falter later this playoffs and soon enough he'll be the latest ex-Flyer goalie/savior.

Comparing NBA attendance to NHL attendance makes no sense. The Flyers still sell out almost all of their games even when they suck, take a look at last season for them.

The 76ers are probably the 4th most important sport in that city as well. In Philly it's Eagles first, than Flyers, than Phillies and than the 76ers.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Philly is a strange town. Football is king, hockey is a distant second, and everything else is just a distraction.

You can catch Eagles talk on the radio year round, non-stop. The city has a unhealthy obsession with its football team. Where else would every TV news channel feature 30 minute features on the team's wide receiver doing situps in his driveway?

Hockey is also huge there, but can't hold a candle to football. Keep in mind that, not only do the Flyers sell out regularly even in a season where they finish dead last, but their AHL team plays across the parking lot and also draws very well.

The city is kinda bandwagon when it comes to the Phils and Sixers though. On the one hand, the city came out in droves when the Phils put together their incredible run at the end of last season. But on the other hand, the fans drove Billy Wagner out of town with their E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES chants during games where the Phils were in the middle of a pennant race a few years earlier. On the one hand, you have Sixers fans filling the place and going crazy as their team craps all over the Pistons this year, and defending Iverson to the death during his heyday. But on the other hand, you have a more-than-half empty arena after A.I. got traded.

The strangest thing is that you'd expect the city to have a little more love for the Sixers, considering they were the last Philly team to actually win anything. But they're probably the most neglected of the city's teams.

Strange town.

Hate them, love them, loathe them...Philly fans can be annoying, brash, downright stupid...but Ill say this: They in general, are a very passionate group of fans who are pretty darn loyal.

Totally agree, I mean I hate to say this but Leaf fans are another breed of stupid much like the Flyers fans. I mean their team sucks year after year, decade after decade and they STILL drive/fly/unicycle to anywhere the Leafs are playing and let it be known they are there. It may be due to the fact that it's impossible to get a seat and that driving/flying is cheaper than buying a ticket anyway..but still, passionate fans are awesome fans.

Sure they are stupid, but stupid usually means rowdy and that makes for a fun game if you're there.