Lamoriello might chase Pens' Hossa

SC Devs Fan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those lines won't work, Bergfors isn't NHL ready, isn't a left wing and shouldn't be on the top line. Also Vrana on 4th line is stupid. Put Vrana up in Elias' spot and then move Elias to the left wing.

alot of people are saying that if bergfors and vrana dont make the team that they will be bust.

id rather give guys in the system a shot. Rather than fill gaps will 3,4,5 expensive free agents and leave guys in the minors rotting or having another team pick them up and giving them a proper look.

theres also talk that lou wants bergfors on the first or second line or not at all. so the more skill around him the better.

Shoot.. I hope he does gives them a shot.. it would be so much better than wasting money on people...

If they get a shot and make it.. and sign hossa...

that would leave like 10 mil to sign 2 defensman.. but its only a dream.

TFP has a small report on how the Devils are interested in Hossa/Redden.. but im sure it was posted..

Hossa/Redden, I think can be more beneficial than Rolston/Campbell.. I wouldn't mind either of those and I am REALLY hoping one of those turn out

TFP has a small report on how the Devils are interested in Hossa/Redden.. but im sure it was posted..

The TFP thing is basically paraphrasing Gulitti's story in today's Record.

As for the earlier question posted on what would be acceptable for Hossa ... I think Lou could put together a deal paying Hossa in the $10 million range in the first year or so but would average to a cap hit in the neighborhood of $8 mil. Something like a six year deal worth $10M, $9.5M, $8M, $7M, $7M and $6.5M per year. That's a $8M cap hit, which IMO is pretty damn acceptable for a player of Hossa's caliber. I wouldn't even mind going a little north of $8M for a guy like Hossa who instantly revitalizes our offense and power play. It's kinda scary to see how fast the pay scale is inflating, but if we ever want to draw some of this prime free agent talent we've gotta be willing to shell out the bucks.

The TFP thing is basically paraphrasing Gulitti's story in today's Record.

As for the earlier question posted on what would be acceptable for Hossa ... I think Lou could put together a deal paying Hossa in the $10 million range in the first year or so but would average to a cap hit in the neighborhood of $8 mil. Something like a six year deal worth $10M, $9.5M, $8M, $7M, $7M and $6.5M per year. That's a $8M cap hit, which IMO is pretty damn acceptable for a player of Hossa's caliber. I wouldn't even mind going a little north of $8M for a guy like Hossa who instantly revitalizes our offense and power play. It's kinda scary to see how fast the pay scale is inflating, but if we ever want to draw some of this prime free agent talent we've gotta be willing to shell out the bucks.

I know thats why I really wasn't excited about it.. and for me personally, offense has to come before defense with this team so he should try to get hossa as a #1 priority then look to acquire redden or campbell (which would be very difficult)

You know Lou doesn't allow any free agent to come in and make more than any home-grown Devil....

We do? When was this a written rule lol. If Lou wants to play the game for the big fish, he has to pay, he knows this.

You know Lou doesn't allow any free agent to come in and make more than any home-grown Devil....

That's certainly been the trend, but if Lou isn't willing to bend on this then the team is screwed this year and every year to come. Making the playoffs and challenging for the division crown every season doesn't allow you to really draft the kind of talent where you can just expect to re-sign homegrown guys and expect to continue succeeding.

alot of people are saying that if bergfors and vrana dont make the team that they will be bust.

id rather give guys in the system a shot. Rather than fill gaps will 3,4,5 expensive free agents and leave guys in the minors rotting or having another team pick them up and giving them a proper look.

theres also talk that lou wants bergfors on the first or second line or not at all. so the more skill around him the better.

Bergfors is younger then Vrana and has a couple of years before it's do or die time. I hope Vrana makes the team this year and becomes a regular, but not on the 4th line.

The Bergen Record reports there are "indications" that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello will try to make a big splash in the free agent market, perhaps going after F Marian Hossa.

"All of that goes on behind the scenes and we don't talk about it," Lamoriello told The Record. "If we can do something that makes our team better, we'll do that. You try to do that during the regular season, but you can't always do it."

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review previously reported the Canucks were "considered a fast-charging contender" for Hossa, who will be one of the top unrestricted free agent prizes July 1.

At the same time, the paper speculated that the Canucks likely cannot offer Hossa the $8M per year over five years he is expected to seek.

After Hossa declared he will test the market, the guessing started as to whether any teams have been granted permission by the Penguins to negotiate before July 1.

"Very good question," Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli responded to The Boston Globe. "But can't comment. Cheers."

The Bruins tried to get Hossa at the trade deadline, according to The Globe, but the Thrashers wanted C Phil Kessel and Chiarelli didn't want to part with him.

Hossa, who had 12 goals and 26 points in the playoffs for the Penguins, came over from the Thrashers at the trade deadline.

The ESPN insider story on Hossa being Devil Bound.

I noticed Ryder is a free agent.. he only made 2.5M/yr and with his lack of production we could land him very cheaply for around that price or maybe slightly lower.. his value shouldn't increase with his mere 14 goals, 31 pts last season.. he could be a bust but if you only spend 2M/yr on him for a year or 2 its no big deal.. and somehow I dont think he would be a bust, I think he just needs a change in scenary

The ESPN insider story on Hossa being Devil Bound.

Just have a feeling Lou is going to get his player this time around and it will be Marian Hossa. :koolaid: Lou almost had him at the trade deadline and this time he won't let him get away. Lou will work out a nice deal for Hossa. Lou knows this is what this Devils team has been missing since the "A" line was dismantled.

:pray:

Atlanta got alot for him...

It was.. Esposito, Armstrong and 2 1sts i think..

Ya, the Devils offer to match that would have been crazy for the team. Apparently the Devils were neck and neck with another team until Pitt came up with that huge offer. We'll never know exactly what the Devils offer might have been but I don't think Hossa would have helped enough to make a difference so I'm glad the deal feel through.