Lamoriello might chase Pens' Hossa

SC Devs Fan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen! Lou doesn't play games, but I wonder if he is throwing it out there so the Pens bump their offer up and use up more cap space.

You answered this suggestion yourself, "Lou doesn't play games".

Hossa has made it pretty clear he wants to play the market.

if we got hossa i'd want lines like this:

zubrus-elias-hossa

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

x-madden-gionta

vrana-pelley-clarkson

close - but rupp should be where pelley is. and i'd be shocked if X isn't pandolfo. but if it isn't, you could slot vrana up there and sign holik (i only bring it up because it seems like a foregone conclusion) for line 4 duties sliding rupp to wing.

if we got hossa i'd want lines like this:

zubrus-elias-hossa

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

x-madden-gionta

vrana-pelley-clarkson

Rupp would be good where Pelley is... Even tho i don't like Rupp.. he has started hitting towards the end of the season..

I would put Vrana up too.. He is a waste on the 4th line.. Maybe put him on the 3rd line to dish the puck to Madden and Gionta...

If we get Hossa, LL can call it a day, and that would be just fine with me. It would easily be the biggest move in the league, and would give us plenty of depth and line possibilities for next season. I would freak if we got him.

*It's times like this I wonder if Marty works overtime and gets on the horn himself to talk some of these UFA's to come to Jersey.

Edited by Beezer34

Our D is fine?

One or two moves away?

I am watching a different team than you guys & gals are. This team is NOT that close especially with a GM who isn't going to overpay for FAs. Other than Marty, there is no one on this team (sorry Zach, you aren't there yet) that worries other teams other than the predictable "sports interview" cliched niceties.

Whatever talent is there, is completely inconsistent (Exhibit A- Mr. Elias, Exhibit B - Mr. Langenbrunner, Exhibit C Mr. Parise, Exhibit D Gionta, need I go on?).

The Defense is at least 2 major upgrades away from championship calibre

The Offense needs at least 1 maybe 2 consistent scorers away from championship calibre.

Just my opinion but barring a freakish playoff run, I'd rather reload fully. And Lou was not great for a stretch either drafting or FA. That's the facts. So slash and burn IS an option. I am not calling for his head but think that this team is doomed to mediocrity.

If we get Hossa, LL can call it a day, and that would be just fine with me. It would easily be the biggest move in the league, and would give us plenty of depth and line possibilities for next season. I would freak if we got him.

*It's times like this I wonder if Marty works overtime and gets on the horn himself to talk some of these UFA's to come to Jersey.

IF (and I'm not using the term loosely like some people who are dreaming too hard and will more than likely suffer crushed dreams) we get Hossa, I would probably collapse from shock. Then I would run around my entire block, screaming "WE GOT HOSSA, fvck YOU ALL!" Of course, since I'm in Ottawa, that's bound to rile a few people up, but that's the whole point.

IF we acquired Hossa, teams would fear us like they once did, only not for our trap defense play, but for our suddenly surge of an offensive stride. It would be history in the making for this team if we got him.

That said, he'll probably be a dickwad and sign elsewhere.

Our D is fine?

One or two moves away?

I am watching a different team than you guys & gals are. This team is NOT that close especially with a GM who isn't going to overpay for FAs. Other than Marty, there is no one on this team (sorry Zach, you aren't there yet) that worries other teams other than the predictable "sports interview" cliched niceties.

Whatever talent is there, is completely inconsistent (Exhibit A- Mr. Elias, Exhibit B - Mr. Langenbrunner, Exhibit C Mr. Parise, Exhibit D Gionta, need I go on?).

The Defense is at least 2 major upgrades away from championship calibre

The Offense needs at least 1 maybe 2 consistent scorers away from championship calibre.

Just my opinion but barring a freakish playoff run, I'd rather reload fully. And Lou was not great for a stretch either drafting or FA. That's the facts. So slash and burn IS an option. I am not calling for his head but think that this team is doomed to mediocrity.

As I just stated in another thread, this team is on the verge of a decline, which given our past success, is coming right on time. Slashing and burning is indeed an option, but a dumb one considering we do have some talent on this team. If only the leauge worked like NHL 2008...then you could dump everyone and fantasy draft for all the stars you like. Unfortunately, in the real world, it requires a right mix of players combined with alot of luck to make it to the Cup. A "fire sale" is only applicable for teams who are either crumbling from salary cap issues or eneded up last in the leauge. The Devs are neither of those things.

A couple of pieces here and there and we should be a very good team. But they have to be the Right pieces.

There isn't a time for a "fire sale" or anyhting like that, because this team can regroup. As people have stated we are feeling the effects of poor drafting 99-02... give it some time.

I don't think Hossa alone would bring the championship to New Jersey, but that would be a big step in the right direction and would certainly help our offense. If we can add a good D-man too (maybe someone not as expensive as Redden, but a decent player still), the next season would be a good one for us. Then, who knows. Maybe a move at the trade deadline (Gio?) or another signing next summer and there is a chance Brodeur might win another Cup with the Devils before hanging his skates.

But Lou has to offer somebody big bucks to finally make this team stronger, otherwise it will be the same story as last 4 seasons (good regular season and short playoffs).

Hossa's current contract is 7mil/year (according to TFP or TSN, one one of them I remember reading it).. Hes not even worth 7mil right now with his stats last season.. TSN is stupid they have "Hes in for a big pay raise since he proved he can lead a team to the Finals" .. yeah he really led the Pens to the finals :rolleyes:... him allll alone

Hossa isnt' even worth his 7mil, hes gonna be looking for 8+ .. PASS

Edited by nmigliore

Hossa's current contract is 7mil/year (according to TFP or TSN, one one of them I remember reading it).. Hes not even worth 7mil right now with his stats last season.. TSN is stupid they have "Hes in for a big pay raise since he proved he can lead a team to the Finals" .. yeah he really led the Pens to the finals :rolleyes:... him allll alone

Hossa isnt' even worth his 7mil, hes gonna be looking for 8+ .. PASS

If the last few offseasons have proven anything, it's that you absolutely have to overpay if you want to land someone big. Landing a guy like Hossa would instantly make this team all that much better, and we have the cap room to bring him in. Why not go for it? I'd rather overpay for a proven player like Hossa than for a guy like Malone anyway.

Hossa is not worth the 8 million he wants and will get but he is probably worth overpaying for as the Devils so they can have 3 top level offensive guys to split up amongst the top 2 lines instead of only 2. Then the Devils can overpay for one of the mid-level defensive guys and I think the Devils would be looking very good.

...or you can accept the natural decline, get some decent draft picks and build the team from within, just like they did 15 years ago. Marion Hossa, while he would be a great pick up, does not guarentee a Cup. Besides, sign him to a ridiculous contract and you wont have the space to sign anybody to compliment him. Hossa would be a nice addition, but it's not a do or die situation.

If the last few offseasons have proven anything, it's that you absolutely have to overpay if you want to land someone big. Landing a guy like Hossa would instantly make this team all that much better, and we have the cap room to bring him in. Why not go for it? I'd rather overpay for a proven player like Hossa than for a guy like Malone anyway.

If the history of the UFA in a salary cap age has proven its that if you expect to win, you should NOT sign high priced UFA's because its a recipe for failure.

For every Brian Rafalski and Scott Niedermeyer type of signing there are 10x's more teams burdened with Sheldon Souray type signings.

My # 1 would be, sign a #1 or hell, even a #2 center that could play center on our #1 line. We have no playmaking center. Look how much Gionta dropped without Gomez. If we have someone to feed him the puck, he'll score. Then defense, then wingers.

My # 1 would be, sign a #1 or hell, even a #2 center that could play center on our #1 line. We have no playmaking center. Look how much Gionta dropped without Gomez. If we have someone to feed him the puck, he'll score. Then defense, then wingers.

So you are saying we are set between the pipes...

Hossa is an unbelievable talent. He had a down year but made up for it with a stellar playoffs. This is a guy with 3 seasons below 30 goals - his rookie year, and two seasons where he scored 29. if he continues on his current pace he's a lock HOFer - a guy who missed the lockout year and played for a ton of time in the dead puck era scoring 500 goals and providing great two-way play.

His goal scoring numbers are even more remarkable considering his teammates on Ottawa and the fact that he was only getting 18:30 or so of ice time compared to the 21 minutes he was playing for Atlanta.

Manta, keep thinking it is 2002. free agents are far more valuable than you think. there's even a slight chance that souray contract turns out to be not terrible. you can't just home-grow everyone and trade the guys you don't need anymore.

Edited by Triumph

If the history of the UFA in a salary cap age has proven its that if you expect to win, you should NOT sign high priced UFA's because its a recipe for failure.

For every Brian Rafalski and Scott Niedermeyer type of signing there are 10x's more teams burdened with Sheldon Souray type signings.

Good point. Even in the case of Rafalski, the Wings didn't exactly overpay for him anyway. They gave him a few too many years, but that was a pretty fair contract for a Cup winning d-man.