Lamoriello might chase Pens' Hossa

SC Devs Fan

Lamoriello might chase Pens' Hossa

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/devils/P...us_wingman.html

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello says he's going to take the same approach to unrestricted free agency he's always employed.

Judging by his signings from the past three summers, which included such unsuccessful leftovers as Karel Rachunek, Vladimir Malakhov, Dan McGillis and Alexander Mogilny, that's not very encouraging.

There are some indications, however, that Lamoriello will try to make a big splash after the free agent market opens at noon on Tuesday in an attempt to propel his team back into the Eastern Conference's elite.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without our re-signings (pando, brylin, salvador, clarkson, pelley) we have between 18-19 mil.

SPEND IT!!!!....

Campbell 8mil

Rolston 4.5mil If he doesnt sign with tampa.

With wiggle room

Edited by Jdub

Lamoriello tried to acquire him from Atlanta before the Feb. 26 trade deadline, but lost out to a late bid from Pittsburgh.

And that is the most telling quote of the whole article, and gives me hope that Lou will try and get something done at either end of the ice. If lou was willing to offer players and pick to get Hossa , then he would deffinatley have tried to lock him up lond term , so you get the impression he is willing to shell out the $$$ to get who he wants.

Also it looks like Salvadore will be returning, so i think we will get either one very good D man, or one "fills a hole" D man.

Its looking promising though.

If the Devil's do not make major steps to improve the team I am all for blowing it up. Yes everything, a fire sale. Get a couple top picks in a row (cough, Pens, cough) and look towards a bright future in 2012 and beyond. Even Marty in my eyes should be available. This franchise is stuck in the mediocre zone and it may be easier to take 10 steps back to start over then the 3-4 steps forward with this current roster.

Flame away!

Edited by devilsadvoc8

If the Devil's do not make major steps to improve the team I am all for blowing it up. Yes everything, a fire sale. Get a couple top picks in a row (cough, Pens, cough) and look towards a bright future in 2012 and beyond. Even Marty in my eyes should be available. This franchise is stuck in the mediocre zone and it may be easier to take 10 steps back to start over then the 3-4 steps forward with this current roster.

Flame away!

Funny, I heard this in 1998 and 2002 and we did pretty well with the same recipe for success.

When I read such tripe, I often wonder if which team we are writing about, its not like we are the Edmonton OIlers.

Funny, I heard this in 1998 and 2002 and we did pretty well with the same recipe for success.

Wasn't our recipe for success to lean on HOFers Stevens and Niedermayer to control things from the blueline?

$8,000,000 per?

How many years this guy want?

The Penguins were planning on signing him for like 7 mil. But he said he would test free agency. And if we have that much room, why not go for it? :noclue: The Penguins can do without him, they have Crosby and Malkin.

When I read such tripe, I often wonder if which team we are writing about, its not like we are the Edmonton OIlers.

Tripe? Really?

This team has not been a threat to win the cup for a while now and are only moving further than closer. The reason the Devils were a cup winner not just a contender were:

a) Lou's arbitration win of Stevens

b) the world class talent of Neidermeyer (a #3 pick BTW) and Marty

Lou was masterful in winning Stevens but talent of that level is not available anymore like that. Marty was the 20th pick and one of the all time draft steals for that pick. The world class talent represented by those three has not been replenished by any stretch of the imagination. Marty is no longer the best in the world every night. He can be on a given night but not for a whole season. He cannot steal a cup by himself. Parise might be but my current expectations for him are below the talent level of those three.

That recipe you so casually mention that enabled the Devils to win those 3 cups is no longer available due to:

a) rule changes

b) lack of any defensive talent on the blue line

c) an older Marty

d) clutch veteran goal scoring is palatibly absent on this team.

This team simply does not have the talent it used to. So, Manta, if you choose to continue to dine on 6 year old rancid filet mignon, that is your decision, I'd rather have fresh tripe for a year or two in order to have fresh filet for another 5.

If Hossa ends up a Devil.....

fvck I can't even imagine it. It just seems so unlikely.

the Devils need to sign someone that fans with no jersey or unpersonalized jerseys say "Hey, I'm gonna go put HIS name on the back of my jersey."

i think thatd be a Franchise First

That recipe you so casually mention that enabled the Devils to win those 3 cups is no longer available due to:

a) rule changes

c) an older Marty

-Rule Changes are not a factor as witnessed by Detroit holding "high scoring" Pittsburgh to no good opportunities because of solid D.

-Our D is fine.

-You mean this years Vezina winner. Only playing Weekes more during the regular season would make Marty THE factor in the playoffs, instead of the tired goalie we see in May.

-We don't need goal scoring, we have players that can score, we need two centers/playmakers to feed them the puck.

Otherwise, we are in good shape moving forward.

Just a question: Is Hossa THAT good? I saw what he did in the playoffs, but if Lou gives him the big bucks, he will all of a sudden be the Man on this team.

If we land him, hopefully Lou can also get another big or semi-big name to take some of the pressure off of him. Even if it's a D-man.

Tripe? Really?

This team has not been a threat to win the cup for a while now and are only moving further than closer. The reason the Devils were a cup winner not just a contender were:

a) Lou's arbitration win of Stevens

b) the world class talent of Neidermeyer (a #3 pick BTW) and Marty

Lou was masterful in winning Stevens but talent of that level is not available anymore like that. Marty was the 20th pick and one of the all time draft steals for that pick. The world class talent represented by those three has not been replenished by any stretch of the imagination. Marty is no longer the best in the world every night. He can be on a given night but not for a whole season. He cannot steal a cup by himself. Parise might be but my current expectations for him are below the talent level of those three.

a) rule changes

c) an older Marty

This team simply does not have the talent it used to. So, Manta, if you choose to continue to dine on 6 year old rancid filet mignon, that is your decision, I'd rather have fresh tripe for a year or two in order to have fresh filet for another 5.

here's the great news: defensemen like stevens and niedermayer aren't around anymore. who are the top defenders in the league? pronger, niedermayer, lidstrom. what do they have in common? they're all on the wrong side of 30. this draft might've produced guys on that level but it took pronger 5 years to become a world-class defender, and it took niedermayer 10. defense ain't easy.

here's some other good news: paul martin had a coming out party in the playoffs even if it doesn't look that way from his stats. johnny oduya was tremendous in the 2nd half. almost all the forwards save parise pandolfo and madden had down years - i expect that to change.

the devils aren't rebuilding. they're one very large piece or two mid-sized pieces from being legitimate stanley cup contenders. they have a number of untradeable contracts. slash and burn is senseless management - it happens only when your general manager (or more likely, several) have made shortsighted moves and can't draft worth a damn. lou swung and missed for a few years (99-02) and it's hurting us now, but these last few drafts look better.

as for the last poster: yes, hossa is that good. i think i put the odds at 15 to 1 - i'll move them up to about 25 to 2 that new jersey lands him. you just don't know what vanderbeek is whispering in lou's ear, and whispers from past seasons include failed trades for teemu selanne, jaromir jagr, and wayne gretzky, among others.

Edited by Triumph