DEVS' UNDERACHIEVERS LOOK TO REBOUND

Elias26

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10012008/sport...ound_131467.htm

Start with Patrik Elias, no longer smarting so badly from the loss of the captaincy, and now nearly four years removed from hepatitis. Improve on 20 goals? Ya think?

Brian Gionta, only 22 goals last season? Jamie Langenbrunner, only 13 after training camp surgery? Dainius Zubrus is another 13-goal man now looking for far better than that.

(N)Єverson's method is questionable, but his conclusion is correct.

So many Devils underachieved last year and they got 99 points.... he's figuring 10 more points out of the improvement form those underachievers and Holik/Rolston is reasonable to expect... (N)Єverson is saying we should have a shot at the President's cup.

He's left out the most important factor...Brodeur. Brodeur has to play to last year's level or everything else is meaningless. That was a glaring omission.

yeah, but that doesn't count an unsustainable performance in overtime and shootout. the devils were 15-7 in OT and shootout. they will probably be something closer to 11-8 this year. although they were 13-9 the two years before.

so that makes new jersey, since the lockout, 41-25 in OT/shootout. if they have 20 OT games, their expectation is to go 12-8.. but you never know.

Edited by Triumph

yeah, but that doesn't count an unsustainable performance in overtime and shootout. the devils were 15-7 in OT and shootout. they will probably be something closer to 11-8 this year. although they were 13-9 the two years before.

so that makes new jersey, since the lockout, 41-25 in OT/shootout. if they have 20 OT games, their expectation is to go 12-8.. but you never know.

ok... so say you are correct... and they go 10-10 in OT.... that's only a -2 in points... it doesn't really change the argument that we should be much better (10 points)... the Marty issue aside.

ok... so say you are correct... and they go 10-10 in OT.... that's only a -2 in points... it doesn't really change the argument that we should be much better (10 points)... the Marty issue aside.

12-8 vs 15-7 isn't -2, it's -5. but nonetheless, i'm just not sure the devils can keep up winning without a higher GF/GA differential. maybe they can, maybe brodeur allows that, but i see the devils doing a little better than last year, even though most of their guys have better seasons.

and i didn't read the article but what about madden and pandolfo coming back to earth? with clarkson on their line they'll be lucky to ever see the puck.

12-8 vs 15-7 isn't -2, it's -5. but nonetheless, i'm just not sure the devils can keep up winning without a higher GF/GA differential. maybe they can, maybe brodeur allows that, but i see the devils doing a little better than last year, even though most of their guys have better seasons.

and i didn't read the article but what about madden and pandolfo coming back to earth? with clarkson on their line they'll be lucky to ever see the puck.

I feel your angst over Clarkson. I somehow see Langenbrunner on that line for a Cup contending team....and Zubrus back up where he should be.

I figure Pando will score a bit more and Madden a nit less so that should balance out. The verdict's out on Clarkson.

All of this doesn't matter since Marty was Superman last year and if he isn't in top form, we'll be in trouble.

wow, that was the most non-backhanded article I think I have ever read from (N)Єverson. As a few people have said he really makes some good points. Even with just Elias and Gionta having good seasons this year and Langenbrunner being in for the entire season really gives us as many as 30-40 more goals for. add in Rolston who is expected to get around 30 Holik chipping in 10-15 and Zajaac improving on his totals as well as Zubrus! we definatly could be competing for the presidents trophy or even, crazy as it will seem to the "experts" who say we only play defense, the team scoring title.

Of course, as has been said it all means nothing without super marty being super marty, but seeing as he appears to have taken a newfound interest in his physical health I think he may actually have a better season than the last few. If all of this ends up coming true we may get to watch another celebration like the one in my avatar real soon.

Edited by brickwall30

wow, that was the most non-backhanded article I think I have ever read from (N)Єverson. As a few people have said he really makes some good points. Even with just Elias and Gionta having good seasons this year and Langenbrunner being in for the entire season really gives us as many as 30-40 more goals for. add in Rolston who is expected to get around 30 Holik chipping in 10-15 and Zajaac improving on his totals as well as Zubrus! we definatly could be competing for the presidents trophy or even, crazy as it will seem to the "experts" who say we only play defense, the team scoring title.

Of course, as has been said it all means nothing without super marty being super marty, but seeing as he appears to have taken a newfound interest in his physical health I think he may actually have a better season than the last few. If all of this ends up coming true we may get to watch another celebration like the one in my avatar real soon.

I don't know about the scoring title but if we score more and Marty continues to be Marty then we could win the presidents cup. Also yeah it's been 5 years now since the 03 celebration. We need a new one.

There's really nothing wrong with his points. I mean, it's written by (N)(N)Єverson, so you can sense that he really hopes the all go further into the tank instead of rebounding, but there's nothing wrong with his actual points.

As MSweet mentions, he could have said that if Broduer isn't Brodeur, with NJ's defense, it won't matter whether these guys have better years or not.

I agree with wall here. The expectations of the above listed players SHOULD be higher this season. And they will need to be as the division/conference should be tighter than ever.