Brandon Sutter got crushed: Hospitalized

Cowutopia

Should these hits be illegal?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should these hits be illegal?

• No. Keep your head up, newbie.
    • Yes, protecting the players is more important than the integrity of the game, especially with contracts being so expensive these days!
    • I have no idea. I may be a pansy.

I see this is the Hurricane broadcast...I can't believe the one announcer is calling for a penalty. That's as clean a hit as I've ever seen. Great hit. Makes me miss Stevens.

fvck this guy calling for those hits to be illegal. This isn't a goddamn pansy game. That would be like if Football became two-hand-touch.

It looks like that announcer isn't the only one who thinks those hits should be illegal:

"He was taken to the hospital to get checked out," Carolina coach Peter Laviolette said. "He was in a vulnerable position, and those kind of hits have to be removed from the game. He may not have had his arm up, but those kind of hits are dangerous."

fvck Peter Laviolette. If fighting and those hits are ever taken out of hockey my fanship will be in serious jeopardy.

Edited by Cowutopia

I see this is the Hurricane broadcast...I can't believe the one announcer is calling for a penalty. That's as clean a hit as I've ever seen. Great hit. Makes me miss Stevens.

fvck this guy calling for those hits to be illegal. This isn't a goddamn pansy game. That would be like if Football became two-hand-touch.

It looks like that announcer isn't the only one who thinks those hits should be illegal:

"He was taken to the hospital to get checked out," Carolina coach Peter Laviolette said. "He was in a vulnerable position, and those kind of hits have to be removed from the game. He may not have had his arm up, but those kind of hits are dangerous."

fvck Peter Laviolette. If fighting and those hits are ever taken out of hockey my fanship will be in serious jeopardy.

I dont think the announcers were saying that at all. If anything , they were saying it was clean. John and Tripp are two the best in the league. John also does Versus broadcasts.

Clean hit, and it's amazing how in sports young kids are taught certain things (in this case it's keep your head up)... and just totally forget them when they come to the pros.... man Doug Weight felt AWFUL about this... you saw it on the highlights....

wow....

once he gets better Dad should make him ride the bikes for not having his head up :lol:

Given the huge number of talented players leaving the game because of concussions, these hits are only hurting the game of hockey. Do you think our coach likes seeing his son's hockey career being put in jeopardy like that? Depending on the severity of the concussion, his hockey career could be over before it started. see Brett Lindros.

Now, that was certainly a legal hit. Like each and everyone one of Scott Stevens's hits. They are legal within the confines of the rules as they stand now.

And don't give me "this is a rough sport and injuries happen... don't pansy up my game" sh!t. Head shots are being taken out of sport in every other league given the epidemic of star players being concussed.

NFL:

15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant) - Striking opponent on head or neck with forearm, elbow, or hands whether or not the initial contact is made below the neck area.

And helmet-to-helmet hits are being cracked down on with fines and suspensions.

New OHL rule:

Rule 48 - Checking to the Head

A minor or a major and game misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the referee based on the degree of impact, shall be assessed to any player who checks an opponent to the head area in any manner. A match penalty shall be assessed to any player who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by Checking to the Head.

Note: A hit to the head with a shoulder shall be considered an illegal check and shall be penalized as checking to the head.

The problem with starting to call hits to the head as penalties is that sometimes there is no intent to hit them that high and it just happens because the player getting hit moves at the last second in a way that the guy lining him up wasn't expecting him to. Think of when Roenick knocked out Modano or Tkachuk, whoever it was--they were buddies so he obviously wasn't trying to give him a concussion, but he turned in a way Roenick wasn't expecting and as a result he got knocked out.

You can see that he is reaching for the puck so his head is lower than normal, otherwise Weight probably would have gotten him in the chest area.

Ask RJ Umberger the same question.

I think this hit is a little different. Umberger was skating the puck up the ice with his head down, Sutter had his head down for a split second because he was reaching for the loose puck.

I didn't really see it as clean. Weight never tried to play the puck and Sutter didn't have possession of the puck. It could have been called interference. Being young, Sutter looked as though he thought Weight was going to play the puck. Rookie mistake...

Sutter pushed the puck forward just as Weight hit him. That's not interference. I don't know if being young had to do with it, he's a rookie in the NHL but he's been playing hockey his whole life. Hits like this happen to veterans too.

The problem with starting to call hits to the head as penalties is that sometimes there is no intent to hit them that high and it just happens because the player getting hit moves at the last second in a way that the guy lining him up wasn't expecting him to. Think of when Roenick knocked out Modano or Tkachuk, whoever it was--they were buddies so he obviously wasn't trying to give him a concussion, but he turned in a way Roenick wasn't expecting and as a result he got knocked out.

If you read the OHL rule, it covers that.

If it is unintentional, then it's a 2 minute minor.

If the guy was aiming for the head, it's a 5 minute major and game misconduct.

I've watched a fair number of OHL games this year and I don't think this has ruined the game. There is just as much hard-hitting action as there has always been.

Sutter pushed the puck forward just as Weight hit him. That's not interference. I don't know if being young had to do with it, he's a rookie in the NHL but he's been playing hockey his whole life. Hits like this happen to veterans too.

I understand your point, but it was clear in the replay Sutter was going for the puck, but Weight was going for the hit.

Edited by kressley

I understand your point, but it was clear in the replay Weight had no intension on playing the puck.

Why do you need one? This isn't football where you have to turn to try to catch the ball to avoid pass interference. "Take the man, not the puck" - hockey 101.

I understand your point, but it was clear in the replay Weight had no intension on playing the puck.

OH MY GOD!!!

you mean another hockey player DELIBERATELY RAN INTO ANOTHER?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!

They should have a name for this somewhere.......

You are allowed to do that.

And I dont think anyone can say that Weight wasnt going for the puck.

They were both skating fast towards it, Sutter was pushing it forward and then put his head down. Weight was leading with his shoulder.

Oh, look. I'm now a Senior Devil :P

Edited by NCDevsFan

And I dont think anyone can say that Weight wasnt going for the puck.

They were both skating fast towards it, Sutter was pushing it forward and then put his head down. Weight was leading with his shoulder.

Oh, look. I'm now a Senior Devil :P

Nah he definitely meant to hit him. If they were both going for the puck and it was just incidental contact it wouldn't have been such a huge hit.

Clean hit...moronic hockey nannies can cry me a river. :puke:

It was a clean, perfect shoulder to the head. I don't think he was intentionally going for his head (it's Doug Weight people) but even if he was it's still a clean hit. I love it! Old time hockey

Edited by '7'

If you read the OHL rule, it covers that.

If it is unintentional, then it's a 2 minute minor.

this is what I don't want. Hey, half of those Stevens hits were absolutely intentional. You hit a guy coming across center ice with his head down, it's going to be a head hit. You want to take that out?

There are enough penalties already. It's absolutely pansy-ing up the sport. The NFL is getting pansied up too, especially the quarterback and running backs, because they want to protect their stars who make the most money and draw the fans.

I was listening to an interview the other day with like, an offensive lineman, who was talking about how the NFL didn't give two sh!ts about any of the non-star players, and that the horse-collar rule is ridiculous, and on and on about how the NFL is just trying to protect its star players in a game where injuries happen., and they choose to play it.

this entire generation is way too fvcking coddled. Hockey is a dangerous game and yet nobody has died on ice in years and years. They know it's a dangerous game. People who choose to box get concussions. People who choose to play hockey are willingly exposing themselves to some danger. Every time some incident happens everybody over-reacts, like when that girl died in the stands and nets were put up behind the ends of the rink. sh!t happens people, stop being pussies.

Edited by Cowutopia

I've watched a fair number of OHL games this year and I don't think this has ruined the game. There is just as much hard-hitting action as there has always been.

Bullsh!t there is. There is already less hard-hitting action in the NHL.