Devils can change their ways in tough situation

BlueSkirt

I dont consider skating backwards and flipping the puck (hopefully) out of their zone changing their ways. This disease started few years ago when they reverted back to the "old" days and played with their backs to center ice. I saw a little Devil hockey in the second half of the game when they started head-manning the puck and creating a little offense. But, I'm pretty sure that's because Tampa Bay stopped forechecking. It was especially horrible during the PK, when nobody had the nerve to keep the puck for more than a split second before attempting to flip it in a most panicked manner. Whitey was the worst offender. Although he usually is.

So let me get this straight:

Because New Jersey doesn't have a good goalie, they should stop trying to play defense, and therefore concentrate on offense. Look, it's a noble sentiment, but if anyone saw the way Sheldon Brookbank reacted to Maxim Afinogenov on Monday night, it just can't happen. Sheldon had to turn around and start skating when Maxim was at least 12 feet in front of him.

It doesn't add up. 'Because our goalie gives up more goals per shot on goal, we should no longer seek to limit those shots as much as we previously did'. The reason why Sutter abandoned the heavy forecheck is because it didn't work. People don't seem to realize what playing offensive games or 'trying to win 4-3 instead of 2-1' means. It means a lot of blown leads, a lot more gambling, a lot more defensive mistakes, and guys concentrating less on defense. I mean, look, great. But to me that means you are going to have more 4-0 losses than 2-0 losses too.

Maybe the team should be taking more chances with 1 goal leads and 1 goal deficits, I don't know.

Edited by Triumph

Wow, that is an interesting read, particularly from someone who is not a Devils beat writer! It mentions how when Sutter came in people thought the Devils were going to become an attacking team; but as last season progressed, the team played to its strengths, falling back on its defensive ways.

We didn't have the roster to play the hockey he wanted last year.... at full strength now we do... (you know.. veterans and non-Europeans :P)

The Devils talent was brought in to play defensive hockey first. They won't turn into a scoring machine without losing too many games on the way. They need different players with different skill sets. Lou likes a defensive team. Sutter couldn't change the talent he had to work with so it's play the old Devils style.

So let me get this straight:

Because New Jersey doesn't have a good goalie, they should stop trying to play defense, and therefore concentrate on offense. Look, it's a noble sentiment, but if anyone saw the way Sheldon Brookbank reacted to Maxim Afinogenov on Monday night, it just can't happen. Sheldon had to turn around and start skating when Maxim was at least 12 feet in front of him.

It doesn't add up. 'Because our goalie gives up more goals per shot on goal, we should no longer seek to limit those shots as much as we previously did'. The reason why Sutter abandoned the heavy forecheck is because it didn't work. People don't seem to realize what playing offensive games or 'trying to win 4-3 instead of 2-1' means. It means a lot of blown leads, a lot more gambling, a lot more defensive mistakes, and guys concentrating less on defense. I mean, look, great. But to me that means you are going to have more 4-0 losses than 2-0 losses too.

Maybe the team should be taking more chances with 1 goal leads and 1 goal deficits, I don't know.

He's a journalist what do you expect, logic.

I don't know why everyone is attacking the guy who wrote the article or the article itself, it seemed perfectly logical and and acceptable point of view. Also it's not like it was a Devils bashing article it was a simply the authors thoughts on what he would do if he was the coach and I agree with him.