Devils Viewing Party

OfficialDL

I worked in Manhattan for 4 years and took the train from Morris County. On any given work day, you can not find a parking space at any train station in Morris County and if you're lucky enough to do so, it's a scant few. That's not counting the people in towns like Morristown who take the bus to get to the train who work in the city. The concentration of Morris residents that work in the city is quite high.

Without a census I would say it's even, if anything.

The problem with Morris county is that most people not from Morris county don't know anything about it. I grew up in central Jersey and now live in Hoboken and really know nothing of Morris county, I don't even think I've been to a town there. So I doubt anyone would go to an event like this in Morris if it were to happen.

Hoboken is highly accessible from everywhere in Jersey and is a place that is familiar to people. On top of that is a very young working crowd overall, something you would not find in other towns.

I guess there is a reason they wanted to build the "Rock" here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Morris county is that most people not from Morris county don't know anything about it. I grew up in central Jersey and now live in Hoboken and really know nothing of Morris county, I don't even think I've been to a town there. So I doubt anyone would go to an event like this in Morris if it were to happen.

How old are you? You haven't been here at least once in your life for some reason?

It works both ways. People here aren't going to Hoboken to a viewing party during weeknights. If they are, then they obviously have the time to do so as most people who can afford to live in this area work professional jobs or jobs that don't require alot of free time. People here are weekend warriors. However, they would go to a gathering in their own backyards, work night or not.

I'd like to know the dominant age group that shows for this tonight, epsecially in Hoboken. You do get a segment of people, usually 35+ who really don't want to hang out with frat age kids in a bar setting where you know these kids will be drinking heavily. If there's one thing about this fanbase...it's young and it likes to throw a few back. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for everyone.

Also, since you've never been here, you can't say that no one would go should an event be held here. Morris County isn't Siberia, it's full of Devils fans and a big concentration of this team's fanbase is from here. You would be surprised at the turnout.

Hoboken is highly accessible from everywhere in Jersey and is a place that is familiar to people. On top of that is a very young working crowd overall, something you would not find in other towns.

So is Morris County. If you ever visit Morristown, you'll see a similarity to Hoboken.

no way to get there! unlike the rock, the coliseum has no public transport and as a manhattanite i have no use for a car

I'm in the city too and I plan on going to LI on 3/7. You can take the train to Hempstead and then a bus or cab to the Coliseum. Its a pain in the a$$ but to support the boys on the road its worth it.

So how was it? Did anyone go?

I know I am coming into this late, but I don't see how you could favor Morris County full of McMansions and 2.3 kids for an event at a bar on a weeknight. This was clearly aimed at a younger crowd than the demographics that Morris County offers. Also, to compare Morris County to Hoboken on any level? I am just glad my office is still empty this early as I was laughing so hard.

Edited by PeteyNice

So how was it? Did anyone go?

I know I am coming into this late, but I don't see how you could favor Morris County full of McMansions and 2.3 kids for an event at a bar on a weeknight. This was clearly aimed at a younger crowd than the demographics that Morris County offers. Also, to compare Morris County to Hoboken on any level?

You coming in something late? Never. :rolleyes:

Your answer was a predictable stereotypical potshot. You've obviously never been to Morristown where an event like this would be welcomed.

I am just glad my office (parents house) is still empty this early as I was laughing so hard.

Carry on....

Edited by SJP20

I've been to Morristown...it's not Hoboken, as you seem to be suggesting.

I don't see how you can seriously still be acting like the Devils missed a golden opportunity to be in Morris county when they held it in Hoboken. If the Devils held this in Ohio I could see you arguing Morris county would be better but the Devils picked an incredibly busy place on a busy night to hold it, that seems like a good idea to me. Could there be other places it works too? Sure, but I won't be upset because one good place was picked over a different good place.

I guess all I was trying to say is that, while nothing may be wrong with Morris county, more likely than not the only people to show up to an event like this in Morris would be people that live in Morris. As far as demographic, the median income in Hoboken is fairly high, and it really isn't just "frat" kids. There is always a good mix of people out and about.

But anyway......I went to the event last night and it was awesome. Bar was packed all night long...the entire upstairs was dedicated to Devils fans where they had the game on just about every TV. They had 2 Devils Dancers there handing out Devils ski caps, beer bottle sleeves, and t-shirts. During intermissions they did trivia for prizes and they even had a wing eating contest. They also did a raffle for tickets to a game. So overall I think it was a success for the Devils and the bar and I see them doing this again.

I've been to Morristown...it's not Hoboken, as you seem to be suggesting.

Never said it was Hoboken. Some of the traits Hoboken has can be found in Morristown. If the object of this event was to attract younger fans, Morristown has plenty of bars and restaurants and is accessable from many major highways and in a location where there is a large concentration of Devils fans. If the Devils were to choose Morristown at some point, they would be better served on a weekend, although they would still make out with a good crowd on a weekday in some spots.

I don't see how you can seriously still be acting like the Devils missed a golden opportunity to be in Morris county when they held it in Hoboken. If the Devils held this in Ohio I could see you arguing Morris county would be better but the Devils picked an incredibly busy place on a busy night to hold it, that seems like a good idea to me. Could there be other places it works too? Sure, but I won't be upset because one good place was picked over a different good place.

I never said Hoboken was a bad place. I never said they missed out by picking one over another. I'm making a case that a good strategic location in Morris County would be a great place for an event such as this. What i said from the beginning is that the Devils for over 25 years of their existance have yet to dip into other locations in this state with fan relations like this (as of yet, but i'll believe it when i see it). There are more Devils fans in the Morristown area then in Hoboken.

I haven't heard too many people reviewing going from this board as of yet, so who's to say it was a "golden opportunity" in Hoboken? If it was packed? Great! Did people turn out in waves of red/black or were they just HoBo bar hoppers who patronize the bar as usual?

Look, this is my opinion. I knew i'd have it argued as predicted. This is a demographic that the Devils need to cater to, especially with he concentration of fans here. We'll see what the future holds if the past dictates anything.

I haven't heard too many people reviewing going from this board as of yet, so who's to say it was a "golden opportunity" in Hoboken? If it was packed? Great! Did people turn out in waves of red/black or were they just HoBo bar hoppers who patronize the bar as usual?

Look, this is my opinion. I knew i'd have it argued as predicted. This is a demographic that the Devils need to cater to, especially with he concentration of fans here. We'll see what the future holds if the past dictates anything.

Actually about 80% of the people there were rocking their Red and there were a lot of people from outside Hoboken too. I frequent this bar, and on Thursday nights it is never this packed, considering the plethora of bars in the area.

I am good friends with the family that owns the Grasshopper pubs. Most recent one is in Morristown right off the green. Grasshopper Off The Green is the name. Family are huge Devil fans. Maybe they can set something up with the Devils for another Party.

Their location in Carlstadt always had Devil players showing up after games to grab something to eat.

We should not worry about what section of Jersey is more fertile ground for Devil Fans. The goal should be the whole friggin state!! Lets face it, The Devils are the only Pro team that seems to be proud of the NJ on their Jersey.

Actually about 80% of the people there were rocking their Red and there were a lot of people from outside Hoboken too. I frequent this bar, and on Thursday nights it is never this packed, considering the plethora of bars in the area.

After all this I was not able to go last night, but walked by the BB on my way home from work and it looked rocking from the outside last night. GO DEVS

...I went to the event last night and it was awesome. Bar was packed all night long...the entire upstairs was dedicated to Devils fans where they had the game on just about every TV. They had 2 Devils Dancers there handing out Devils ski caps, beer bottle sleeves, and t-shirts. During intermissions they did trivia for prizes and they even had a wing eating contest. They also did a raffle for tickets to a game. So overall I think it was a success for the Devils and the bar and I see them doing this again.

Did the place have HDTVs upstairs? Was the volume turned up? Was the game on downstairs too? Any Rangers fans show up to cause trouble? Did you guys hear when Doc and Chico mentioned you? Did the bartendars have on Maine Black Bear colors or Devils colors?

Anyone else here go to this thing?

I'd like to know the dominant age group that shows for this tonight, epsecially in Hoboken. You do get a segment of people, usually 35+ who really don't want to hang out with frat age kids in a bar setting where you know these kids will be drinking heavily. If there's one thing about this fanbase...it's young and it likes to throw a few back. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for everyone.

I dont get this paragraph. One second you say Morris County people support these kind of events, and now here youre saying old farts from Morris County wouldnt want to go to Hoboken. Fair enough, but they likely wouldnt want to support it much in their own backyard either. Honestly, there is not enough population concentration for these residents to have a big turnout

big up to the devils on this one, honestly it could have been in a BIGGER bar, there was barely any breathing room and the poor barstaff was completely overwhelmed. It took me and another cute girl 30 mins to get a beer and usually we get preferential treatment!

Game was on almost every tv (random yankees classic on one screen) they all looked like HD's and they kept the sound on during the call, though during tv timeouts and intermission we had to deal with some jackarse with bad music and no talent mc the thing. Only time he won was when he decided to go with Born to Run between OT and the shootout and i think by then most of the bar was drunk, and sung along. (you can't not love bruce in jersey)

Got a hat, missed the beer cozys :( and had fun. Would love to see them do it a larger spot or open the whole bar next time for this.

I dont get this paragraph. One second you say Morris County people support these kind of events, and now here youre saying old farts from Morris County wouldnt want to go to Hoboken. Fair enough, but they likely wouldnt want to support it much in their own backyard either. Honestly, there is not enough population concentration for these residents to have a big turnout

Where did i say people from Morris County wouldn't go to Hoboken in the quote you picked out of my post?

Here i'll re-quote for you and you can tell me where:

The closest i came was saying that people from Morris County wouldn't travel to Hoboken for that event on a work night, but in their own backyards they would.

Also, i find it amusing that people who have commented that this sort of event would not draw in Morris are typically the ones who do not live here, visit here or have spent any amount of time here to see just how many Devils fans there are.

I can see myself going to a Morris County site much more than Hoboken. I just can't see taking the train for an hour to watch a hockey game in Hoboken for 2 and a half hours then riding the train home for an hour. That sounds like a job... I have one of those.

One benefit Hoboken has over Morris County is sites that can hold a decent amount of people. I haven't hit the bar scene in Morris County in a number of years but I just don't see that many sites that could handle a good turn out which is what you need for success and to have more events like this.

I think they need to go to as many locations (Morris Co., Hoboken, Newark, Middlesex Co., Monmouth Co.) for these events as possible and not be of the mindset that one location is better than another so we can only have an event there. All of these sites noted above have benefits for the fan base.

I hope it went well at the Black Bear Bar and Grill. Keep these opportunities for the fans coming Devils Marketing Dept.

Also, i find it amusing that people who have commented that this sort of event would not draw in Morris are typically the ones who do not live here, visit here or have spent any amount of time here to see just how many Devils fans there are.

How do you know the typical disagreeing person doesn't have enough knowledge on Morris county? Also, do you know enough about the other areas to suggest they're not better?

Also, if the majority of posters are coming from other areas in NJ doesn't that suggest other areas of NJ have a higher concentration of fans and so it might make more sense to do events there first? Or does Morris county just have a higher than normal count of hardcore fans who don't use online. This site has almost 2,300 users registered so it should give us some sort of idea on Devils fans.

How do you know the typical disagreeing person doesn't have enough knowledge on Morris county? Also, do you know enough about the other areas to suggest they're not better?

Grow up here for 34 years, work here, raise a family here and own a "mcmansion" here like us "old farts" and then that disagreeing person will have some credibility aloing with someone who has. Helps, right?

Also, if the majority of posters are coming from other areas in NJ doesn't that suggest other areas of NJ have a higher concentration of fans and so it might make more sense to do events there first?

If there is a Devils event in Morristown, the concentration will mostly be among those within the area, just like in Hoboken. Isn't that the idea?

So you're saying that because a person comes from Flemington to an event in Hoboken, there should be an event in Flemington? I do not understand what angle you are driving at there.

Or does Morris county just have a higher than normal count of hardcore fans who don't use online.

Online fan forums are the measure of a fan base in an area? Wow, new on me!

This site has almost 2,300 users registered so it should give us some sort of idea on Devils fans.

This site is not the end all to end all to measure the Devils fan base in any way shape or form. To even suggest the above is ridiculous and to suggest that a fanbase should be measured by who uses online is even more ridiculous.

Grow up here for 34 years, work here, raise a family here and own a "mcmansion" here like us "old farts" and then that disagreeing person will have some credibility aloing with someone who has. Helps, right?

I'm saying you're speaking about Morris County and saying others shouldn't comment because they don't know enough to comment on it. On the flip side that means you also can't comment on any other place because you won't know enough about it. That means nobody can comment on where the best place would be because everyone is lacking in enough knowledge about everywhere in NJ except where they live.

This site is not the end all to end all to measure the Devils fan base in any way shape or form. To even suggest the above is ridiculous and to suggest that a fanbase should be measured by who uses online is even more ridiculous.

I'm saying the Devils should hold these events where the most bar going people are. This website is a great way to measure that. We have a large amount of Devils fans in the age range that would attend a bar to watch a game. This website is a sampling of this fanbase which we can use to extrapolate how the rest looks.

Your responses to my last posts makes it seem like you're just thinking that you would like a bar event close by to you but you don't want to look at it from the Devils point of view in how they might analyze the best places to hold one, especially the first one.

Edited by Devils731

I'm saying you're speaking about Morris County and saying others shouldn't comment because they don't know enough to comment on it. On the flip side that means you also can't comment on any other place because you won't know enough about it. That means nobody can comment on where the best place would be because everyone is lacking in enough knowledge about everywhere in NJ except where they live.

I'm saying the Devils should hold these events where the most bar going people are. This website is a great way to measure that. We have a large amount of Devils fans in the age range that would attend a bar to watch a game. This website is a sampling of this fanbase which we can use to extrapolate how the rest looks.

Your responses to my last posts makes it seem like you're just thinking that you would like a bar even close by to you but you don't want to look at it from the Devils point of view in how they might analyze the best places to hold one, especially the first one.

There are a LOT of bar-going people in Morristown. I'm one of them, so I know. And I've seen Kenny Daneyko out in Morristown on numerous occasions as well, just for the record.

There are a LOT of bar-going people in Morristown. I'm one of them, so I know. And I've seen Kenny Daneyko out in Morristown on numerous occasions as well, just for the record.

But more than Hoboken? I've been to bars in Morristown too. Is there a large enough difference that making it in Hoboken first over Morristown is some sort of slight?

Apparently this viewing party had a whole level rented out to them so that was another point in having it in Hoboken first.

But more than Hoboken? I've been to bars in Morristown too. Is there a large enough difference that making it in Hoboken first over Morristown is some sort of slight?

Apparently this viewing party had a whole level rented out to them so that was another point in having it in Hoboken first.

Probably not MORE than Hoboken, but on an average Friday or Saturday night, I'd say the number of bar-goers is pretty close. I've spent enough time in both places to be able to gauge that accurately. And it's not a slight that they held it in Hoboken- not at all. And I don't think unknown poster intended on this turning into a pissing match between MC residents and non-MC residents. Simply put, the Devils should not forget about their huge following in Morris County in the future. That's the point that was trying to be made.

Edited by MadDog2020

Simply put, the Devils should not forget about their huge following in Morris County in the future. That's the point that was trying to be made.

I agree with you that that is a good point and I believe the point SJ was trying to make.

How he came off was that somehow Morris county was continuing to be ignored and slighted by the Devils when nothing like this has ever been done before. I can make arguments for tons of places that should have something like this but the only post we had upset that they might be forgotten was the one about Morris county so that seems out of place. I felt no need to say Union county better not continue being forgotten or Middelsex county.