US Military: "Yeah, we still hate gays"

RowdyFan42

Anyone who has ever served in the military in an mos that has women involved will tell you it is a distraction. Guys constantly think of sex, having women around doesn't make that easier, the same would be said with gays in a unit. Any male who has served in the military would tell you that the most efficient units they have been in were all males, it's nothing against females, I have seen many females perform very well but a female is always a distraction in a unit, especially an attractive one.

I'm sorry, but you didn't answer the question. You explained how mixed-gender units might be a problem, but you failed to show how an all-male unit with some gay men would be a problem. Unless it is your intent to say that since "guys constantly think of sex", gay men would always be hitting on their straight mates... is it? And that doesn't even get into lesbians...

I mean, I'm trying to understand here exactly what (or where) the issue is, and so far I'm not getting anywhere...

Edited by RowdyFan42

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but you didn't answer the question. You explained how mixed-gender units might be a problem, but you failed to show how an all-male unit with some gay men would be a problem. Unless it is your intent to say that since "guys constantly think of sex", gay men would always be hitting on their straight mates... is it? And that doesn't even get into lesbians...

I mean, I'm trying to understand here exactly what (or where) the issue is, and so far I'm not getting anywhere...

My apologies for not spelling it out for you. Every time I said "women" it could easily be interchanged with "gay men." Maybe to make it more clear I should have said "The most efficient units are all straight men."

My apologies for not spelling it out for you. Every time I said "women" it could easily be interchanged with "gay men." Maybe to make it more clear I should have said "The most efficient units are all straight men."

Yeah, I got that part. Problem is, they're not easily interchangeable and you have yet to demonstrate how they are. The only way one could really get what you're saying right now is if they were to read between the lines and infer a strong, DEEP undercurrent of homophobia. Since you're new here, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you don't want it...

I find the idea that men are so fixated on sex that it would distract them on the battlefield ridiculous. Under the same context we should split up men and women in all lines of work that are mission critical, women shouldn't be doctors or police officers or air traffic controllers least they "distract" their sex driven male counter parts.

The idea is totally old fashion, like I said, one more generation of intolerance needs to die off before this gets fixed.

if they were to read between the lines and infer a strong, DEEP undercurrent of homophobia.

There goes Rowdy reading between the lines again................. :rolleyes:

When I read between your lines I seem to think you are very simple minded. Fair?

There goes Rowdy reading between the lines again................. :rolleyes:

There goes Leeds cherry-picking again... :rolleyes:

When I read between your lines I seem to think you are very simple minded. Fair?

When I read between your lines I seem to think you believe that all the world's problems will be solved by wiping Islam off the face of the planet. If that's not simple minded, nothing is.

First of all, gays have undoubtedly served in the US armed forces since the Revolutionary War. At one time they were considered security risks, because of being threatened with outting by persons who pressured them to give up military secrets. That day is probably long past, but I would not be surprised if it still has some weight, particularly among officers, but it only goes to show that it is probably better if gays are known and accepted by the military.

I see no purpose for discharging persons who are gay. It just isn't the distraction it was years ago.

I served in a civil affairs company for eight years back when women were just coming into the military on a broad basis 1972-1980. There were women in our unit, which was on reserve status the entire time. Civil affairs units are now serving on active duty across the globe, my old unit is now a brigade (about 5x the size of a company). Women had no negative effect on the ability of the unit to perform.

Just my 2cents and experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.