"It is always darker before the dawn"

cubanjd305

By that case, most teams could have a case that their year is next...

If it was true, teams like Buffalo would have one at least one cup by now.

In hockey, it's planning, drafting, coddling, growing, signing, coaching and a million things you can control...oh, and luck.

If it was true, teams like Buffalo would have one at least one cup by now.

In hockey, it's planning, drafting, coddling, growing, signing, coaching and a million things you can control...oh, and luck.

ok...go root for any other team in the division...see how your case goes

ok...go root for any other team in the division...see how your case goes

WTF are you talking about?

I said your darker before the dawn thread was pointless and baseless. If it was darker before the dawn, you'd have to figure Philly would've won in 2001 after the disaster in 2000.

Be realistic.

I said your darker before the dawn thread was pointless and baseless. If it was darker before the dawn, you'd have to figure Philly would've won in 2001 after the disaster in 2000.

Be realistic.

wtf

first, I misunderstood what you said.

second, now that you put it that way....I am talking about this franchise's history

but apparently you guys don't wanna feel better....you want to keep dwelling on what happened.

that's my point, there is nothing else we can do or say, it already happended, I'm just looking for things to feel better about the future.

sorry for trying to be positive

wtf

first, I misunderstood what you said.

second, now that you put it that way....I am talking about this franchise's history

but apparently you guys don't wanna feel better....you want to keep dwelling on what happened.

that's my point, there is nothing else we can do or say, it already happended, I'm just looking for things to feel better about the future.

sorry for trying to be positive

I'm not trying dwell on anything, I was over the loss probably in the afternoon yesterday :koolaid: I'm just saying this team's dark days took many years before the dawn. So one misstep playoff year isn't as dark as it may seem. The Islanders are dark.

I'm not trying dwell on anything, I was over the loss probably in the afternoon yesterday :koolaid: I'm just saying this team's dark days took many years before the dawn. So one misstep playoff year isn't as dark as it may seem. The Islanders are dark.

I'm just taking the comparison many have made here, about this being as or more heartbreaking than those losses in '94, '99, and '01, and looking at the positive side of those.

you took the "dark" part too literaly man..

...not in most cases, but it does happen more than you think.

*Edmonton lost in the '83 finals, but came back to win it in '84. *Calgary Flames flopped in '86, won it in '89. Then there was our '94 choke, just to rebound the following year. (and let's not forget the *Red Wing team we beat that year, ('95) that came back 2 years later to win the Cup in '97) *Devils flop in '01, --- Cup in '03. *Carolina lost in '02, won it 3 seasons' later in '06. *Anaheim lost in '03, -came back to win it 3 seasons' later in '07. :ph34r:

Pretty good observation actually cuban. Again, it doesn't happen often, but not a bad average either. (about two teams every decade)

Edited by Beezer34

*Edmonton lost in the '83 finals, but came back to win it in '84. *Calgary Flames flopped in '86, won it in '89. Then there was our '94 choke, just to rebound the following year. (and let's not forget the *Red Wing team we beat that year, ('95) that came back 2 years later to win the Cup in '97) *Devils flop in '01, --- Cup in '03. *Carolina lost in '02, won it 3 seasons' later in '06. *Anaheim lost in '03, -came back to win it 3 seasons' later in '07. :ph34r:

Pretty good observation actually cuban. Again, it doesn't happen often, but not a bad average either. (about two teams every decade)

Those teams lost either in the CF or SCF. Does this mean we'll make it to the 2nd round next year? :P

Well..maybe these last few years (and playoff disasters... <_< ) ignite the spark that the team needs. Oh and if Brent would be SO kind as to remind the team (a.k.a a pep talk, not a beat down, thanks!) of 1995, 2000 and 2003, MAYBE then we'd be at LEAST Eastern Conference Champs. Or Hell, why don't we just put Scotty behind the bench for once! I'm Just sayin.

Does this mean we'll make it to the 2nd round next year? :P

No not in our case. I don't think 2 consecutive 1st round exit's qualifies. :P But he did bring up an interesting point of SCF failures, that in 3 - 4 years time results in a Championship. If the Penguins now go on to win it, the statistic garners even more cred (imo)

NJ needs to lose the two checking lines. Go with three offensive forechecking lines.

Elias, Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Gionta, Rolston (healthy), Bergfors, Clarkson and ?. I would like a 2nd/3rd line center, maybe Comrie who looked strong the last two years. Zubrus needs to be traded to clear space.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Rolston-Elias-Gionta

Bergfors-Comrie-Clarkson

Zharkov-Pelley-Rupp

I like Madden, but when considering 2.5 million at his role vs Pelley at .500, you go with Pelley. The same said for Pandolfo but nobody in their right minds would take Pandolfo, I would like to replace him with Zharkov. Lou would never do this in a million years but man that would be a fast lineup.

I think its bad observation.

Ottawa lost in 07 - they aren't coming back to win a cup anytime soon

Edmonton lost in 06 - ditto

Calgary lost in 04 - ditto

Dallas lost in 00 - ditto

Buffalo lost in 99 - ditto

Washington lost in 98 - they could win this year but that has nothing to do with them losing here

Philly lost in 97 - nope

Florida lost in 96 - hell no

Vancouver lost in 94 - they could win this year but that has nothing to do with them losing here

Los Angeles lost in 93 - lol

There are enough teams that have lost in the Finals to never come back and win a cup in a recent time frame to make this observation a legit one

Edited by Satans Hockey

NJ needs to lose the two checking lines. Go with three offensive forechecking lines.

Elias, Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Gionta, Rolston (healthy), Bergfors, Clarkson and ?. I would like a 2nd/3rd line center, maybe Comrie who looked strong the last two years. Zubrus needs to be traded to clear space.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Rolston-Elias-Gionta

Bergfors-Comrie-Clarkson

Zharkov-Pelley-Rupp

I like Madden, but when considering 2.5 million at his role vs Pelley at .500, you go with Pelley. The same said for Pandolfo but nobody in their right minds would take Pandolfo, I would like to replace him with Zharkov. Lou would never do this in a million years but man that would be a fast lineup.

That is a very soft lineup. Gotta have at least one line with some decent size that can forecheck, IMO. Otherwise they'll just get worn down by bigger, stronger D. Also, that pretty much means we are stuck with the same defense again.

Be realistic.

geez dude dont take it so seriously. Its a couple of interesting points about our club's history. No need to go into a fit and get all literal about it. Besides, he was referring to our club, not philly, not long island. But, regardless, dont get so uptight about it.

what came after the heartbreak many of you mention in '94?

what came 2 years after the heartbreak many of you mention in '01?

what came after the heartbreak some of you have mentioned in '99?

"that's all I have to say about that"

not talking about everyother team...only Devils heartbreaks

That is a very soft lineup. Gotta have at least one line with some decent size that can forecheck, IMO. Otherwise they'll just get worn down by bigger, stronger D. Also, that pretty much means we are stuck with the same defense again.

? Same defense, you dump Zubrus, Madden and Pandolfo and add Comrie who doesn't cost much. You will be able to pick up someone like Beauchemin or Komisarek. Your only as soft as your coach allows you to be. Carolina has a bunch of soft players playing big.

he's proving your theory wrong, don't tell him to go root for another team :rolleyes: . The Devils were "due" for a win against the Rag$ like 8 times in a row last year, bro. It isn't all about stats, logs, exponentials, and patterns. If it were, this league would be really boring.

That was his reaction to the OP telling him to "root for another team in the division" after he questioned the theory. It was warranted.

he's just not reading what I wrote....does my post say "according to stats..EVERY team..........."? I just mentioned the 3 major heartbreaks that people have talked about here, and try to shed a light of hope, being that in DEVILS history, we've bounced back pretty well from extreme disappointments.

don't try to read that much from it

he's just not reading what I wrote....does my post say "according to stats..EVERY team..........."? I just mentioned the 3 major heartbreaks that people have talked about here, and try to shed a light of hope, being that in DEVILS history, we've bounced back pretty well from extreme disappointments.

don't try to read that much from it

im honestly amazed at people trying to read into this so much. I think they think, that you believe the devils only have success because of luck and tragic resluts - which is obviously not what you posted and is absurd why people would think that way

Then don't quote his second post, dumbsh!t.

Fair enough, but you don't need to say "go root for another team" because he begs to differ..

Sure thing, officer jackass

Then don't quote his second post, dumbsh!t.

Fair enough, but you don't need to say "go root for another team" because he begs to differ..

I said as a way to let him see that actually OTHER teams don't have the same history, and if he roots for them, he'll notice

he brought up everyother team not me