The Movies thread!

CRASHER

Golden Globes Wrap up

Being the last big awards show before the Oscars, the Globes are always a pretty good indicator of who’s going to win the big one come February. While I’ll definitely do an Oscar preview, here’s a list of last night’s film winners and my take on what that means for the Academy.

Best Motion Picture – Drama

The Social Network – Didn’t guess this one as I thought it was going to be a two horse race between Black Swan and The King’s Speech, but after watching it again this past week, this isn’t surprising. Still, I think this will be as far as it gets in the Best Picture race for the Oscars. This win will get it nominated for the big prize, but that’s about it.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama

Natalie Portman – Black Swan – Not a huge surprise as she not only did a great job in the role, she’s the highest profile star in the highest profile movie nominated, so it’s a perfect storm of win for Portman. The critical success of the film combined with this win may just give her enough of a charge to win Best Actress at the Oscars as well.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama

Colin Firth – The King’s Speech – Another no brainer as he is pretty much a lock to win Best Actor at the Oscars. While he bear out some fine performances, especially James Franco for 127 Hours and Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network, this was a long time coming for Firth and well deserved.

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical

The Kids Are All Right – Another easy pick as Kids was heads and shoulders better than any of the other films nominated. One of my top 10 movies of the year, Kids was heartfelt, honest and bitingly funny. Glad to see it get some recognition this awards season.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical

Annette Bening – The Kids Are All Right – Another good choice as you could have made a case for anybody nominated, Bening was fantastic in Kids. On a side note, good to see Emma Stone get a nomination for Easy A, an easily dismissible but damn good movie featuring a fine performance by Stone. This pretty much secures Bening a Oscar nomination but I doubt anybody is stopping the Portman train this year.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical

Paul Giamatti – Barney’s Version – While this could be labeled as a surprise, this was the only film nominated that could be considered a critical hit, it does make some sense. This movie just got released this week, so I’ll try to give a look-see before the Oscars.

– Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Melissa Leo – The Fighter – A bit of a surprise here as, given the other nominees, I would have labeled her as an underdog, especially given she was splitting the vote with Amy Adams. Also, a surprise given Mila Kunis had a lot of buzz surrounding her for her Black Swan performance, but I’m glad a better actress won. Another category where everyone nominated was deserving, Leo gives a great performance in the role as the controlling mother. Kudos also to Jacki Weaver for getting a nom for her brilliant work in Animal Kingdom.

– Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Christian Bale – The Fighter – This was as always going to be a two horse race between Bale and Geoffrey Rush for The King’s Speech and I’m glad Bale won out at the Globes. Bale was fantastic as Walberg’s brother and I’m glad he’s getting an award for it. While I still think Rush will win the Oscar, Bale more than deserves some recognition for his work.

Best Animated Feature Film

Toy Story 3 – Rinse, lather and repeat for the Oscars. Good for the Illusionist in getting a nom, by the way.

Best Foreign Language Film

In A Better World (Denmark) – Only Biutiful and I Am Love got a stateside release, so I haven’t seen any of the films, so I’ll have to defer to the Globes on this one!

Best Director – Motion Picture

David Fincher – The Social Network – While this is my pick based on the five nominees, I’m very surprised Danny Boyle didn’t get a nom for 127 Hours. Maybe he’ll get a look for the Oscar, but this definitely hurts his chances.

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture

Aaron Sorkin – The Social Network – Slam dunk for me, as I was declaring him the winner as I was walking out of the theater after seeing the film. Definitely the best screenplay written this year, Sorkin should be all but guaranteed a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

Best Original Score

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross – The Social Network – Another one that should carry over to the Oscars. Just an amazing score.

Edited by Bulletproof

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Movie Review

The Fighter

I love me some Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Seriously. Like ‘em, love ‘em, can’t get enough of ‘em. The perfect combination of two already wonderful food stuffs, RPBC’s are a classic treat. So, imagine my delight when they started appearing in almost everything. First it was ice cream, next in breakfast cereals until finally, a couple of days ago, I discovered them in a bag of Chips Ahoy cookies at my mom’s house. At that moment I thought, “Damn, I love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and all, but this is getting ridiculous. What’s next, peanut butter cup infused bananas”? But what did I do? Grabbed myself a couple, chomped down and enjoyed the heck out of them. In the end, even though I keep seeing that flavor over and over again, it doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s damn delicious. This is exactly how I feel about the boxing movie genre, and specifically its latest entry, The Fighter.

Much like the sweet confections mentioned above, the genre of boxing films all share a very similar plot and story arc. Tough guy comes from nothing, goes through a few trials and ends up on top where a) he then falls back down a precarious slope or b) the movie ends. While The Fighter follows the same predictable path of its predecessors, the film is helped by some well placed humor, a focus on family and some very fine acting.

The cast runs the gambit of acceptable to near brilliant. Mark Wahlberg plays Micky Ward, an up and coming boxer from the slums of Lowell, Massachusetts who’s looking for his next big break. Much has been reported of Wahlberg’s near four year preparation for the role and the hard work pays off as he certainly has the look and feel of a seasoned boxer. While his acting style is very by the numbers, Wahlberg does a fine if not unremarkable job in the title role. Also playing against type is Amy Adams, portraying a tough talking local bartender and Micky’s inevitable love interest. Adams also does a fine job in the part as it’s a relief to see her break away from the nice girl roles we’re used to seeing her in. High marks also have to be given to Melissa Leo as Micky’s mother and business manager. Winner of the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress this year, Leo tows the line between loving mother and tough manager effortlessly, giving the movie a much needed shot of freshness and originality.

Stealing the show, however, is the work of Christian Bale as Dicky Ekllund, Mickey’s brother, trainer and closest confidant. Bale’s part is easily the most difficult of the cast as he not only has to connect with Wahlberg on a brotherly level but has to be unassumingly self destructive at the same time. Bale plays the part wonderfully, bringing a real honesty and empathy to the role. Dicky has the distinction of being the “King of Lowell” for his boxing career but has since fallen in the depths of a drug addiction that threatens to take down his whole family and the budding career of his brother. Dicky is easily the catalyst of the story and in hands of a lesser actor could have turned into a parody but Bale is pitch perfect in his portrayal. Bale actually just got himself a Golden Globe for his work and he is sure to a get an Oscar nomination in the next couple of weeks.

The story, however, runs very familiar ground. While I enjoyed the local flavor of Lowell and the connection between Bale and Wahlberg, the rest of the plot is standard boxing flick fare. Luckily, the screenplay is peppered with a surprising amount of humor that almost always works well, especially when Bale is on screen. Director David O. Russell directs his cast with startling insight into the working class toughness of this boxing family yet does so at the sacrifice of visual flair. This is a blandly shot film to be sure, but when you have a cast this good, that is more than forgivable.

All in all, The Fighter doesn’t break any new ground for the boxing genre but, much like those yummy peanut butter cups, it’s still a good time that pushes all the right buttons. There’s just something charming about the classic “everyman fighting against all odds” tale and that charm never gets old, no matter how many times you see it. In the case of The Fighter, this world weary tale is told with style, humor and excellent acting, giving the audience just enough nuance to elevate it beyond its clichés. While Rocky will always be the quintessential telling of this story, The Fighter has a few new tricks up its sleeve, mostly embodied in the work of Bale and Leo. Everyone else simply has to play to type supporting their great performances. To bookend this review with my candy reference, The Fighter is just like a pack of Dark Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups: while an attempt was made to slightly change the classic flavor, the end result is the same old candy we grew up loving, a taste that still stands the test of time.

Couple of movies I saw recently:

Green Hornet

Absolutely hated it. Bad script, annoying characters, uninspired actions scenes. Seth Rogen quickly went from cool, relaxed guy I would like to hang out with to loud, noisy, obnoxious and just plain annoying. If I didn't already know that it was a Michel Gondry movie, I would've never guessed. Gondry, what were you thinking?

Conviction

Nice yet unspectacular drama with strong performances from Hilary Swank and long time favorite actor Sam Rockwell.

Opening This Week – Nationwide

No Strings Attached – Despite how lovely Natalie Portman looks in Ashton Kutcher’s work shirt on the movie poster, I just typed the words Ashton and Kutcher in this preview, hence dooming this film to bland mediocrity. Roger Ebert had a very telling line in his two star review saying, “The movie is rated R but it’s the most watery R I’ve seen. It’s more of a PG-13 playing dress up”. Reviews have been mixed although they all hover around bland and boring, making this is a very tentative See It For Yourself. Fans of the rom com genre may find some adult thrills in this movie but everyone else should steer clear.

Opening This Week – Limited

Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) – Dramatic Indian film about four young people living in Mumbai who chronicle life in the city through video diaries and handheld cameras Getting very fine reviews from critics, most have said that its simply good drama known more for its Bollywood than independent filmmaking. Playing in select theatres in New York and New Jersey

The Housemaid – Korean erotic thriller about a housemaid who finds herself involved in an affair with the head of the household with shocking results. Critics have labeled this as beautifully shot yet featuring a head scratching conclusion. Still, most of the comments have been quite positive, so I say check it out! Showing at Lincoln Plaza Cinemas

Applause – Universally praised for the work of Danish film star Paprika Steen, this film about an alcoholic actress on her comeback tour is getting rave reviews from critics. Playing at City Cinemas Village East

Opening This Week – Indie, Art House and Small Screenings

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance – Anime style film about a team of piots battling a strange alien race. The second in what look to become a franchise, fans of the series will more than enjoy this offering. Screening at the Imaginasian

Johnny Mad Dog – A cast of unknown actors star in this intense feature about child soldiers fighting a fictional war in Africa. Critics have been largely positive about the movie; saying that it’s intense and unflinching view of warfare is worth the price of admission. Showing at the Anthology Film Archives

The Woodmans – Fascinating documentary of the tragically short life of Francesca Woodman, a 22 year old artists who took her own life far before her prime. A look at her family and the work that made her famous, The Woodmans looks to not only celebrate her life but examine the family dynamics that may have led to her demise. Screening at the Film Forum

Other Movie Notes

The Way Back expands to wide release this weekend. Starring Colin Farrell, Jim Sturgess and Ed Harris, the latest directorial effort by Peter Weir has been getting very good reviews from critics. Check out Atterr’s review of this earlier in the thread for a little more detail on the flick!

Also, The Company Men, the anti-recession film starring Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and Kevin Costner expands to a wider release this weekend. The trailers look interesting enough and reviews have been solid, so this still remains a See it For Yourself type flick.

My 3 To See

The Woodmans – Getting universally lauded by critics, this just may be worth coming into the city to check out at the Film Forum.

The Company Men – Solid reviews, a good cast and a timely story all make this film a fine recommendation now that it’s out in wider release.

Applause – Sure, this is also in very limited release, but did you really want to see Black Swan, Blue Valentine or True Grit on the recommendation list again? I didn’t think so!

Confused by the colors? Here’s the guide!

Green means that reviews are great, the trailer looks great, so this is definitely worth seeing!

Orange means reviews have been mixed but there’s enough here for me to say, “See It For Yourself”.

Red means this film should be avoided at all costs! Run, Devil fans, run!!

Edited by Bulletproof

Watched Apocalypse Now for the first time a few days back. There was a lot about the movie that was easy to appreciate ... the cinematography, camera angles, use of light/shadows and particularly the sets in the jungle. I enjoyed watching it but, as tends to happen, I got the feeling that there was something more going on that I wasn't picking up on. There seemed to be a lot of symbolism and an emphasis on that which is poetic. Stuff like that tends to take me a couple viewings to really grasp. The Redux version is on my queue ... as soon as I have the huge chunk of free time it'll require, I'll have to give it a go.

Also watched Godfather for the umpteenth time over the weekend. I never tire of that movie. So much of today's culture, be it common slang or the foundation for countless mafia films and TV shows that followed, began there.

To finish the Brando trifecta, I've got Streetcar Named Desire on my queue as well. I don't know anything about it other than STELLLLAAAAAA so I'm looking forward to that.

Watched Apocalypse Now for the first time a few days back. There was a lot about the movie that was easy to appreciate ... the cinematography, camera angles, use of light/shadows and particularly the sets in the jungle. I enjoyed watching it but, as tends to happen, I got the feeling that there was something more going on that I wasn't picking up on. There seemed to be a lot of symbolism and an emphasis on that which is poetic. Stuff like that tends to take me a couple viewings to really grasp. The Redux version is on my queue ... as soon as I have the huge chunk of free time it'll require, I'll have to give it a go.

Also watched Godfather for the umpteenth time over the weekend. I never tire of that movie. So much of today's culture, be it common slang or the foundation for countless mafia films and TV shows that followed, began there.

To finish the Brando trifecta, I've got Streetcar Named Desire on my queue as well. I don't know anything about it other than STELLLLAAAAAA so I'm looking forward to that.

Heart of Darkness by Josef Konrad. Good Read. You can also rent Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse about the making of Apocalypse Now. It's really fascinating stuff.

Perhaps my best double-header ever:

Blue Valentine

I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going in. I basically only went to kill some time before Black Swan started, but as it turned out Blue Valentine is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. The movie follows a young couple through the course of their relationship, but not necessarily in chronological order. Sweet and beautiful one minute, heartbreaking the next. The main characters are perfectly written and are convincingly brought to life by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams in what is a career best performance for both. You won't see a movie as real, raw, intimate and honest as Blue Valentine this year. Can't recommend it enough.

Black Swan

Despite the good, sometimes great, reviews, I was not sure what to expect from Darren Aronofsky's latest film. Fortunately it was more The Wrestler than The Fountain (which is one of the most boring and pretentious movies I have ever seen). Black Swan actually has a lot of similarities with The Wrestler, but I only realized that after I left the theatre. While watching the film, I was too caught up in its great cinematography, gripping story and flawless acting by Natalie Portman. The movie is not perfect as some characters are underwritten (Winona Ryder!), but the sex scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis the third act is so intense and breathtaking that all minor faults are forgiven.

Edited by Atterr

Heart of Darkness by Josef Konrad. Good Read. You can also rent Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse about the making of Apocalypse Now. It's really fascinating stuff.

Was going to say exactly same thing about Apocalypse Now. My only addition is that I feel the Redux version is pretty insufferable. While the original is a masterpiece of mood and tension, the Redux just blows all that up in favor of some really pointless scenes that just adds length to the movie. It's worth watching so you can compare, but I always watch the original if I have the choice. Three words that sum up my point: French. Dinner. Scene. Yeeeesh.

As for the book, Forest is right, it's an excellent read. As for the doc, that is probably one of my favorite film documentaries and the only reason I purchased the brand new "3 Disc Full Disclousre Edition" of the movie. If you are renting from Netflix, the third disc of the brand new edition has the documentary on it. Really fascinating.

Perhaps my best double-header ever:

Blue Valentine

I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going in. I basically only went to kill some time before Black Swan started, but as it turned out Blue Valentine is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. The movie follows a young couple through the course of their relationship, but not necessarily in chronological order. Sweet and beautiful one minute, heartbreaking the next. The main characters are perfectly written and are convincingly brought to life by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams in what is a career best performance for both. You won't see a movie as real, raw, intimate and honest as Blue Valentine this year. Can't recommend it enough.

Black Swan

Despite the good, sometimes great, reviews, I was not sure what to expect from Darren Aronofsky's latest film. Fortunately it was more The Wrestler than The Fountain (which is one of the most boring and pretentious movies I have ever seen). Black Swan actually has a lot of similarities with The Wrestler, but I only realized that after I left the theatre. While watching the film, I was too caught up in its great cinematography, gripping story and flawless acting by Natalie Portman. The movie is not perfect as some characters are underwritten (Winona Ryder!), but the sex scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis the third act is so intense and breathtaking that all minor faults are forgiven.

Saw Blue Valentine on Saturday, and I have to agree, both Gosling and Williams did a remarkable job in the roles. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a party with a film professor from NYU and he had mentioned that Black Swan is a film about expectations and I really do agree. I'll go more into it in my full review, but all of the struggles between the two characters stem from unrealized expectations and the diversion that creates is remarkable. One of the better films I've seen this year.

Saw Blue Valentine on Saturday, and I have to agree, both Gosling and Williams did a remarkable job in the roles. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a party with a film professor from NYU and he had mentioned that Black Swan is a film about expectations and I really do agree. I'll go more into it in my full review, but all of the struggles between the two characters stem from unrealized expectations and the diversion that creates is remarkable. One of the better films I've seen this year.

By Black Swan you actually mean Blue Valentine?

The Academy Awards nominations have just been announced. Nothing for Blue Valentine except Best Actress for Michelle Williams. Quite disappointing.

I am surprised by the many nominations for True Grit, including Best Movie, Best Leading Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Directing. Seems like another homerun for the Coens. Can't wait to see it next week.

The 10 movie nominations make no sense. Ignore the movies that don't have a Best Director nominations and you are left with the only 5 true contenders.

Despite The Social Network winning at the Golden Globes, my money is on The King's Speech.

By Black Swan you actually mean Blue Valentine?

The Academy Awards nominations have just been announced. Nothing for Blue Valentine except Best Actress for Michelle Williams. Quite disappointing.

I am surprised by the many nominations for True Grit, including Best Movie, Best Leading Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Directing. Seems like another homerun for the Coens. Can't wait to see it next week.

The 10 movie nominations make no sense. Ignore the movies that don't have a Best Director nominations and you are left with the only 5 true contenders.

Despite The Social Network winning at the Golden Globes, my money is on The King's Speech.

Yep, I meant Blue Valentine...thanks for the catch!

I'm working on my Oscar Preview now, so I'll have my thoughts up here this afternoon, but I totally agree that the 10 Best Picture nominations are annoying. My feeling is they do it to get more viewers. If they kept it to five, most people wouldn't have seen the nominees, so the more they nominate, the more they can get fans checking out the show.

I was also annoyed that Blue Valentine didn't get more nominations, especially in the bloated Best Picture category.

Stay tuned for my preview!

2010 Oscar Preview and Nominations

Well, the biggest night in movies is finally upon us and while the nominations have been very by the book this year, there are a few surprises and a few glaring omissions. Here’s a look at the categories, the nominees and who I think Will Win and Should Win.

Best Visual Effects

'Alice in Wonderland'

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1'

'Hereafter'

'Inception'

'Iron Man 2'

My Take : While you could make an argument for any of the films on here, Inception both should and will win this award. Breathtaking in almost aspect visually, Inception was a technically ground breaking movie. The only omission would be Tron as I’ve heard that movie is stunning to look at as well.

Best Sound Mixing

'Inception'

'The King's Speech'

'Salt'

'The Social Network'

'True Grit'

My Take : Meh, throw them in the air and see what lands first, but my vote would go to Inception for this as well.

Best Sound Editing

'Inception'

'Toy Story 3'

'TRON: Legacy'

'True Grit'

'Unstoppable'

My Take : Will probably be between TRON and Inception, but I’m going to give Inception the nod one more time as I feel it has a chance to sweep the technicals.

Best Makeup

'Barney's Version'

'The Way Back'

'The Wolfman'

My Take : I’m going out on a limb and choose Barney’s Version as the Academy always will go for aging an actor above scary costumes.

Best Film Editing

'Black Swan'

'The Fighter'

'The Kings Speech'

'127 Hours'

'The Social Network'

My Take : You could make an argument for any these films, but my pick would be The Social Network. To me, this award should go to the movie that really depends on the editing to move the storytelling. Given this criteria, The Fighter and The Kings Speech drop right off and while the remaining three are excellent, The Social Network’s cuts and time jumps were extremely important in telling the story. Something tells me the Academy will vote the same way.

Best Documentary

'Exit Through the Gift Shop'

'Gasland'

'Inside Job'

'Restrepo'

'Waste Land'

My Take : While a touch controversial, now that Exit Through The Gift Shop has been nominated for best documentary, I have to give it my vote. Easily one of the best movies I had seen all year and a lock for my top 10 of 2010, Exit is a thrilling and fascinating look into the world of street art. That being said, I think the Academy is going to hand the award to the excellent war doc Restrepo, especially given the controversy surrounding Exit. Also, Restrepo is timely and has more emotional weight than Exit, so I think that will push it over the edge for the Academy.

Best Original Score

'How to Train Your Dragon' John Powell

'Inception' Hans Zimmer

'The King's Speech' Alexandre Desplat

'127 Hours' A.R. Rahman

'The Social Network' Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

My Take : While my vote goes to Trent Reznor for The Social Network, I can’t see the Academy handing an Oscar for the front man of Nine Inch Nails. Or will they…

Best Costume Design

'Alice in Wonderland'

'I Am Love'

'The King's Speech'

'The Tempest'

'True Grit'

My Take : When in doubt for this category, always go period piece which eliminates Alice and I Am Love. Since I can’t see True Grit winning it and The Tempest got such terrible reviews, that leaves The King’s Speech as the victor.

Best Art Direction

'Alice in Wonderland'

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I'

'Inception'

'The King's Speech'

'True Grit'

My Take : Always a tricky one as the idea of “art direction” is very subjective, my vote is going to go to The King’s Speech as I think it’s going to run away with a good portion of the evening.

Best Adapted Screenplay

'127 Hours'

'The Social Network'

'Toy Story 3'

'True Grit'

'Winter's Bone'

My Take : Now to the exciting ones! My pick is also what I think will be the eventual winner as it already won a Golden Globe for the same category. Alan Sorkin’s wonderfully written The Social Network should and will win out over the other nominees and it really shouldn’t be close.

Best Original Screenplay

'Another Year'

'The Fighter'

'Inception'

'The Kids Are All Right'

'The King's Speech'

My Take : Here, the Academy and I are going to differ. While my pick is the wonderfully written The Kids Are All Right. I have a feeling The King’s Speech is going to just beat it out. To me, while fantastic, Kings relies on fantastic performances to buoy a great yet unremarkable screenplay, where Kids was such a breath of infectious fresh air, it’s hard for me not to vote for it. Still, I think the Academy chooses The King Speech.

Best Foreign Film

Mexico - 'Biutiful'

Greece - 'Dogtooth'

Denmark - 'In a Better World'

Canada - 'Incendies'

Algeria - 'Outside the law'

My Take : Another tough pick but given Bardim’s surprise Best Actor nomination, I think the edge has to be given to Biutiful, despite luke warm reviews. Sadly, I haven’t seen any of these films so I can’t do a pick!

Best Animated Feature Film

'How to Train Your Dragon'

'Illusionist'

'Toy Story 3'

My Take : Easiest pick of the night, Toy Story 3 for the win!

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, 'The Fighter'

Helena Bonham Carter, 'The King's Speech'

Melissa Leo, 'The Fighter'

Hailee Steinfeld, 'True Grit'

Jacki Weaver, 'Animal Kingdom'

My Take : Easily the most difficult of all the categories to pick this year, a case could be made for any of the actresses nominated. While my pick would be Jacki Weaver for her wonderful turn in Animal Kingdom, something tells me the Academy will not agree. As for the other nominees, I can’t see Carter get enough votes for The Kings Speech, so she’s out too. Now conventional wisdom would think Amy Adams and Melissa Leo would split the vote for The Fighter, leaving newcomer Hailee Steinfeld as the winner, and if that’s case, good for her as she was quite good in True Grit. However, both Adams and Leo were splitting the vote at the Globes and that didn’t stop Leo from winning so my inclination is that Melissa Leo will win out come Oscar night.

Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale, 'The Fighter'

John Hawkes, 'Winter's Bone'

Jeremy Renner, 'The Town'

Mark Ruffalo, 'The Kids Are All Right'

Geoffrey Rush, 'The King's Speech'

My Take : This basically boils down to a two horse race between Bale for The Fighter and Rush for The Kings Speech. Now, while my pick goes to the excellent work of Rush as Firth’s unorthodox doctor, I think Christian Bale will win out for the Oscar. While either performance is worthy, my gut tells me that Bale will win out, especially after winning the Golden Globe.

Best Actress

Annette Bening, 'The Kids Are All Right'

Nicole Kidman, 'Rabbit Hole'

Jennifer Lawrence, 'Winter's Bone'

Natalie Portman, 'Black Swan'

Michelle Williams, 'Blue Valentine'

My Take : While every actress is deserving of the award, my pick and eventual winner has to be Natalie Portman for her excellent work in Black Swan. Playing almost three different parts, each with its own nuances and emotional baggage, Portman was exceptional in the role and has been on an award’s tear ever since. Michelle Williams would be my runner up in the under-nominated Blue Valentine.

Best Actor

Javier Bardem, 'Biutiful'

Jeff Bridges, 'True Grit'

Jesse Eisenberg, 'The Social Network'

Colin Firth, 'The King's Speech'

James Franco, '127 Hours'

My Take : While the inclusion of Javier Bardem is a bit of a surprise, everybody else is more than deserving. To me, this is a three horse race between Eisenberg, Firth and Franco, but it’s not going to be close. Both my pick and should be the Academy’s, Colin Firth’s brilliant portrayal of the Duke of York should garner him a much deserved Oscar.

Best Director

Darren Aronofsky, 'Black Swan'

David O. Russell, 'The Fighter'

Tom Hooper, 'The King's Speech'

David Fincher, 'The Social Network'

Joel and Ethan Coen, 'True Grit'

My Take : While I’m surprised that Danny Boyle didn’t get a nomination for 127 Hours, this should be a two dog race between Aronofsky and Fincher. While I truly feel each director was excellent, my pick has to go to David Fincher for The Social Network. That being said, if Aronofsky does win out, not only would I be ecstatic, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Best Picture

'Black Swan'

'The Fighter'

'Inception'

'The Kids Are All Right'

'The King’s Speech'

'127 Hours'

'The Social Network'

'Toy Story 3'

'True Grit'

'Winter’s Bone'

My Take : And now, finally, the big one! Yes, we all hate the whole ten nominee thing as there really a few that are being seriously considered, Black Swan, The Social Network and The Kings Speech. While you may see either Swan or Network sneak out an upset, the clear cut winner to me is The King’s Speech. What else can I say other than it’s the best movie I had seen all year, featuring a perfect blend of comedy, pathos and character arc. Also, shame on the Academy for overlooking Blue Valentine for this award and a few others.

Speaking of the Coens, I watched The Man Who Wasn't There the other day. Good movie.

Also watched Exit Through The Gift Shop. Mr. Brainwash is made up, right? As soon as he started to try his hand at art, it started to seem very Borat-ish. Fake or not, that was a very interesting watch.

Speaking of the Coens, I watched The Man Who Wasn't There the other day. Good movie.

Also watched Exit Through The Gift Shop. Mr. Brainwash is made up, right? As soon as he started to try his hand at art, it started to seem very Borat-ish. Fake or not, that was a very interesting watch.

Well, my take on Exit is that Mr. Brainwash is actaully just a product of Bansky and the entire flick is actually one big piece of street art. There are still Mr. Brainwash shows in majpor cities, after all. Even the title of the movie seems to suggest it might all be a gag. Like a commenter on my RT review mentioned, it's almost as if Banksy is saying, "You paid your money, you rode the ride I gave you in the world I created, now Exit Through the f'ing Gift Shop". While nobody has come out and said one way or the other, if the movie really is a "fictionalized documentary" and it wins the Oscar for Best Doc, it might be the greatest prank ever pulled on the filmgoing community. None of this, however, lessens the fact that it's an excellent movie, fictionalized or not.

Edited by Bulletproof

Well, my take on Exit is that Mr. Brainwash is actaully just a product of Bansky and the entire flick is actually one big piece of street art. There are still Mr. Brainwash shows in majpor cities, after all. Even the title of the movie seems to suggest it might all be a gag. Like a commenter on my RT review mentioned, it's almost as if Banksy is saying, "You paid your money, you rode the ride I gave you in the world I created, now Exit Through the f'ing Gift Shop". While nobody has come out and said one way or the other, if the movie really is a "fictionalized documentary" and it wins the Oscar for Best Doc, it might be the greatest prank ever pulled on the filmgoing community. None of this, however, lessens the fact that it's an excellent movie, fictionalized or not.

Great post. It really as if MBW could be Banksy's single greatest piece of street art to date. It could be called a prank, a statement or whatever you like. To me, one of the great deifinitions of art is something that's pleasing to the senses while remaining open to interpretation. This film was fun to watch and leaves much open to discussion and interpretation. That, in itself, could be a mission accomplished.

I will say this though ... to me, MBW looked a hell of a lot like Rob Schnieder. I kept expecting him to turn into a hot chick, an animal, a male gigolo or a stapler or something. Derp!

Bulletproof’s Top 11 Movies of 2010…and more!

Well, 2010 is officially in the books and it’s been an uneven year for movies. With a very lackluster summer season buoyed by a number of good Oscar contenders, 2010 can be best described as a mixed bag. So, here are my Top 11 flicks of the year! Please note that I’m only listing movies I’ve seen and were originally released stateside this year. There is at least one foreign film on this list that got released in 2009 yet didn’t see an American release until 2010. Oh, and why Top 11? As the Nostalgia Critic likes to say, I like to go one step beyond…

Honorable Mention

The following films either just missed the cut and man, was it hard to exclude them! These films are listed in order of just missed, so, I’ll just give them numbers like the main Top 11 have. Also, each flick has my Rotten Tomatoes rating, if applicable

20) Catfish – Issues involving questions about the movie’s documentarian integrity aside, Catfish is a startling cautionary tale about putting your life online. More about social networking than The Social Network, Catfish may not be 100% true but it’s definitely 100% fascinating and fun. – 80%

19) Splice – While critics were divided on this sci-fi thriller starring Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley, I felt that the film did a nice job of combining a startling creature feature with a relationship drama. Sure, the third act starts to fall apart a bit and the whole alien / Brody relationship is, well, creepy, Splice was still much smarter and more daring than anything else in theaters this past summer. - 80%

18) I Love You Phillip Morris – One of the few movies I saw but didn’t get around to reviewing, I Love You Phillip Morris is an irreverently hilarious tale about a con man who falls in love with a fellow inmate and devotes his life to his happiness. Starring Jim Carrey in one of his finest roles to date and Ewan MacGregor as the object of Carry’s affections, Phillip Morris has some wonderful acting and an ending that will leave you shocked and shaken. Some minor pacing issues and gaps in storytelling keep it from top honors, but this is a definite must see.

17) Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Elliot Spitzer – The third best documentary I saw year, this piercing look into the scandal surrounding former New York governor Elliot Spitzer is sharp, entertaining and very non partisan. The best thing about this doc, wonderfully directed by documentarian Alex Gibney, is how it doesn’t focus on the smut, rather, focuses on the Wall Street enemies Spitzer made in his rise to power and how they had a hand in making his tryst a big hairy deal to begin with.

16) The Fighter – Another Oscar nominee that missed my Top 10 by a wide margin, The Fighter features some fantastic performances by its entire cast, especially Oscar front runner Christian Bale. The only thing holding it back is its all too familiar story, by the numbers direction and a lackluster performance by Mark Wahlburg. Still, The Fighter pushes all the right buttons and is a fine time at the theaters, regardless of the clichés inherent in the story. - 80%

15) Inception – Many of you may be shocked to see this so low, but I had it in the Top 10 when I first started the list. Sadly, I thought of fourteen movies I enjoyed more than this Christopher Nolan effort. Despite its many flaws, Inception is still a brilliant idea and a very competent summer thriller. If the execution had been better, this would have been a Top 10 for sure. - 80%

14) Machete – The only action flick to come out this year that lived up to its promise of ultra violent campiness, the latest film from director Robert Rodriguez delivered fine performances, plenty of throwback cheese and more blood than an abattoir. Some of the most fun I had all year at the movies. - 90%

13) A Prophet – While this and number 12 really could be 12a and 12b, A Prophet was the first truly excellent film I saw in 2010 and deserves a spot on the list. A thrilling prison drama involving a 16 year old inmate, his eventual climbing of the prison social strata and his loss of innocence is beautifully shot, well acted and perfectly directed. The only thin line separating this movie from number 12 is that A Prophet has some very odd music choices in it. That aside, if you’re a fan of crime drama, do not let A Prophet go unwatched. - 90%

12) Animal Kingdom – One my big surprises of 2010, this Australian film about a crime family on the brink of self destruction is a fine first effort by director David Michod. Featuring some fine performances, including an Oscar nominated turn by Jackie Weaver as the evil matriarch of the crew, Animal Kingdom is much more poignant and interesting than it is thrilling, focusing on the family dynamic more than the violence that created it. Excellent flick. - 90%

The Cream of the Crop

11) True Grit – While I was on the fence on whether or not to include this in the Top 11, the latest film by the Cohen Brothers is a very fine remake of the 1960’s John Wayne classic. Featuring updated pacing, some excellent acting, especially by newcomer and Oscar nominee Hailee Steinfeld and the Cohen usual beautiful cinematography, True Grit is fun, adventurous and very well made. While I must admit I prefer John Wayne’s Rooster Cogburn to the sometimes mush mouthed Jeff Bridges take, True Grit is still a fine film and worth seeing while it’s still in theaters.

10) Exit Through The Gift Shop – The documentary that made me redefine what a documentary can be, Exit is a whirling dervish of a film. Centering around a group of street artists and the obsessive filmmaker who follows them around, Exit is one part art doc, one part thriller and one part mediation of the essence of artistic endeavor itself. While many critics have wondered if this film is really a documentary at all, the overall impact and flow of the feature is worth viewing anyway. - 90%

9) Restrepo – While I picked Exit for Best Documentary this year, this edges it out ever so slightly thanks to the danger involved in making it and the pure emotional weight it carries. Dropping two filmmakers into the most dangerous section of Afghanistan to film a platoon of US troops for a year, Restrepo does a better job of documenting the horrors and dangers of war than anything Hollywood has cobbled together in the last twenty years. Short, sweet and powerful, Restrepo is an emotionally stirring bit of filmmaking that will most likely win Best Doc come February. - 100%

8) The Secret In Their Eyes – Odd that an almost two year old film makes it on my Best Of list, but this Argentine crime thriller is packed with wondrous acting, a well crafted tale and perfectly paced direction. Also, this film features one of my favorite scenes from the last year, the now somewhat famous soccer stadium sequence. Couple that with a final twist that not only surprises but makes perfect sense, and you have a great flick that may have flown under the radar for many American viewers. - 90%

7) Blue Valentine – This year’s winner for most snubbed Oscar contender, Blue Valentine is a finely acted story about the origins, trials and heartbreak of a weather-beaten love. While it can be taken as a straight loss of love story, the movie elevates its inherent melodrama by providing the reasons for the rift and showing that there are no winners or losers in the game called adult relationships. Superbly acted by both Ryan Gosling and Oscar nominee Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine is an unflinching look into a modern day couple and should have gotten a lot more respect from the academy than it did. – 90%

6) Black Swan – Destined for most critics Top 10 list this year, Black Swan screamed out of the gates and never looked back. Furiously paced, superbly acted and featuring a final thirty minutes unrivaled by any movie released this year, Black Swan is, quite simply, the finest film Darren Aronofsky has ever produced. Sure to be in close running for a number of Oscars, including and most deservedly Best Actress for Natalie Portman, Swan is a emotional thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat.- 90%

5) The Kids Are All Right – My vote for Best Original Screenplay, The Kids Are All Right was a sure surprise when it came out the beginning of July. While many viewers dismissed the trailers on the fear that it would be a standard rom-com, Kids surpassed those expectations as a well crafted and wonderfully acted take on a non conventional family. Featuring award nominated performances by both Julliane Moore and Annette Beining, Kids is a captivating and oft hilarious film that should be checked out immediately - 100%

4) 127 Hours – While this movie started out lower on the list, I had to keep creeping it up based on how wowed I was when walking out of the theater. Even if you know the story of doomed hiker Aaron Rogers, you haven’t seen it like this in all of it’s unapologetically visceral glory. Much like he did with 2008’s Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle knows how to create emotionally exhilarating movies and 127 is no exception. While you would think 95 minutes of a guy stuck in a hole would be stretching one’s viewing tolerance, Boyle goes inside the survivors mentality, giving us a vivid inside view to what it takes to make it through the harshest of conditions. Powerfully told, and wonderfully acted by James Franco, 127 Hours may not be for those of weak stomach but it’s most certainly worth seeing for everybody else. - 100%

3) The Social Network – This might be a bit of a surprise for some of you as this movie also started towards the back end of my list but the more I watch it, the more I appreciate how damn good this movie is. The movie literally has everything in it: a perfectly put together cast, a great director and the best screenplay written this year. Jeez, even the soundtrack is fantastic. What really strikes me about the film is how it really isn’t about Facebook at all, rather, about the drive to create something that combines everybody. Mark Zuckerburg is an almost Randian character and that zeal for excellence rooted in what inspired him to create an empire is where The Social Network shines the brightest. Should be on the short list of Best Picture for the Oscars and should be your short list to see if you haven’t already. - 100%

2) Toy Story 3 – The final film in the groundbreaking animation franchise is near cinematic perfection. Not to rehash what I wrote in my full review, Toy Story 3 contains everything we love about movies: colorful characters, emotional situations, well timed humor and the willingness to transport its viewers to another world. This world of toys and their drive to stay relevant in the wake of Andy’s departure is timely, sad and in the end, quite uplifting. We all knew that Andy would one day grow up and lock up the toy chest. Funny thing is, we never wanted to actually believe it. Pixar tackles this eventuality head long in a final stanza that keeps the spirit of the franchise we have all come to love. Toy Story 3 is probably the best animated film I’ve ever seen and is an easy pick for my number two slot. - 100%

1) The Kings Speech – Thinking back on my selection of The Kings Speech for number one, I’m confronted with a number of doubts. As I look back on what I’ve written for 20 through 2, I’m seeing films with better editing, better direction and better screenplays. So why am I picking this film as my number one? Simply because, whenever people ask me what my favorite movie of the year is, I answer The Kings Speech immediately and without hesitation. The King Speech was the most supremely satisfying filmgoing experiencing I witnessed this year and damn if I can figure out why. Sure, it has Oscar worthy acting performances and yeah, it has a perfect blend of humor, pathos and emotional arc, but best movie? The only way I can figure it is that the film is a wonderful sum of its parts, a true breath of fresh air in the land of stale biopics and is the only movie I’d gladly pay to see again in theaters. To me, that’s more than enough to award this movie my top prize and it should get the top prize at the Oscars this year. - 100%

Edited by Bulletproof

Opening This Week – Nationwide

The Roommate – Being billed as a psychological thriller, this nondescript flick featuring no name actors opens this week. Evidently, somebody gets a new roommate in college who is so nice, so sweet and so demented, so much so, that she wants to become her newest “best-ie”. Looks like standard slasher / thriller fare, odd considering it looks to have little thrills and even less slashes, considering its PG-13 rating. This film has not been pre screened for critics, so no word on it but I doubt it’s going to be any good.

Sanctum – Also in 3D and IMAX 3D – Repeat after me, people: this movie was Executive Produced by James Cameron. That’s right, not directed, not written, not even “showed up to the set to provide emotional support”-ed. This tale of a group of cave divers trying to survive an underwater flood is actually directed by first timer Alister Grierson, whose previous effort was a film about Australian soliders running from the Japanese in the 1940’s. While that film, Kokoda, was fairly well received, it got some demerits for bland characterization, a critique that is following to this latest effort. While critics are agreeing that it’s beautiful to look at, the cookie cutter characters and lame story make it a flick worth skipping.

Opening This Week – Limited

Waiting for Forever – Getting a few exceedingly scathing reviews, this indie romantic charmer mills the mine of quirky independent clichés and gets nowhere in doing so. Sounding a bit like The Science of Sleep, boy tries to woo his long time lady friend by enchanting her with a number of sideshows tricks learned entertaining her as kids. Critics have been pretty brutal about it saying that it’s seeped in so much hipster quirkiness that any soul or life in the characters drown in the kitsch. There are better movies of this ilk so I would stay a stay at home date would be more appropriate. Showing at AMC Empire 25

What Women Want – Wait…didn’t that crazy person who stared in the Patriot make this movie like ten years ago? Yes, he did and this is an exact remake of that flick, only this one comes from China and is in Chinese with Chinese actors. Hopefully this is a statement saying, “We will not support that anti-semite, so let’s make our own” but most likely it’s just a simple remake. Showing in select theatres

Home – Initially released last year as part of World Environment Day, this flick is just like that BBC Plant Earth series that almost every Blue Ray owner has to show off their system. Adding this because it’s getting a one weekend only showing in NYC and it could be a pretty spectacular experience. Showing at City Cinemas Village East

Opening This Week – Indie, Art House and Small Screenings

Cold Weather – Well reviewed independently produced whodunit about a young ice factory worker who searches out his suddenly missing ex girlfriend. From the same director of Quiet City and Dance Party USA, Cold Weather has been largely favorable reviews from critics. Screening at the IFC Center

Dressed – Documentary about the career of fashion auteur Nary Manivong and his rise from a broken home to the height of the New York fashion scene. Showing at the Clearview Chelsea

The Other Woman – Natalie Portman and Lisa Kudrow star in this sad drama about infidelity, love triangles and their inevitable consequences. While Portman’s work has been praised, as usual, the film itself reportedly suffers from pacing issues, a bland screenplay and a boring story. Also showing at the IFC Center

Into Eternity – Documentary about a Finish underground nuclear waste repository that sounds almost like science fiction rather than fact, which makes the subject matter all the more scary. Getting great reviews from critics, this might be a good one to toss on the Netflix list. Screening at the Film Forum

The Troubadours – Another documentary examining the singer/songwriter scene of the 60’s. Focusing on James Taylor and Carole King, this doc gets deep inside the music and its motivations. Reviews have been fairly positive but with subject matter this universally awesome, how could they not. Showing at the IFC Center

Other Movie Notes

Frankie and Alice, the flick that was supposed to launch Halle Berry to another Oscar nomination, has finally been given a wider release. The flick has been getting pretty terrible reviews thus far, so I would label it as a skip.

My Few To See – Oscar Prep

Since the Oscars are just a few weeks away, here is a mini checklist of films to see before the big show, ordered from must see to you can miss it. Remember, this is a list that will make the Oscars actually interesting and let you be a little more conversational if you’re seeing it with friends…what, I’m the only one who does that?? Also, keep in mind that this is not a list of the best movies of the year. Check out my Top 11 a few posts up for that!

The King’s Speech – Nominated for 12 Oscars, including Best Picture, not only was this my favorite flick, it’s the most lauded, so if you haven’t seen it, you really should. My only fear is that all this buzz is going to ruin the experience. Taken as it is, it’s pretty fantastic but it doesn’t have the WOW factor or some of the other nominees and all this buzz may hurt the experience for people who have yet to see it. Still, if you just started doing your Oscar prep, this is a good place to start.

The Social Network – Sure to win a few of the 8 awards it’s nominated for, as well as come close to Best Picture, David Fincher’s latest flick is required pre Oscar viewing, especially since you can get it on DVD and On Demand now.

Black Swan – Only nominated for 5 awards this year but boy, they are some biggies including Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Director. Considering Portman should win Best Actress and it really should win Best Cinematography, Black Swan is a crucial piece to getting your Oscar 2011 PhD!

True Grit – While this appeared fairly low on my Top 11, True Grit is in second place in nominations race with 10 nods. Nominated performances by Hailee Steinfeld and Jeff Bridges as well as wide release make this an easy see.

The Fighter – Nominated for a whopping 7 awards, including Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress, The Fighter has made a name for itself in Oscar land. Also, by seeing this movie you knock off both Melissa Leo and Amy Adams for Best Supporting Actress, so it’s definitely worth seeing for “Oscar completeness”

Confused by the colors? Here’s the guide!

Green means that reviews are great, the trailer looks great, so this is definitely worth seeing!

Orange means reviews have been mixed but there’s enough here for me to say, “See It For Yourself”.

Red means this film should be avoided at all costs! Run, Devil fans, run!!

I really liked Exit Through The Gift Shop but I'm in the "not a doc" crowd. I'm definitely getting an Andy Kaufman feel from it.

Yeah, the more I see it, the more I'm in the not a doc crowd. Again, that doesn't take away from how great the film is but all that convtroversy may keep it from winning the Oscar.

Watched The Social Network tonight, On Demand. Thought it was a great movie. Am wondering how much of it was true and how much was made up -- specifically Mark Zuckerberg's character.

From what I've read, alot of the screenplay is petty fictionalized and Zuckerberg has come out and said that while the events are techinally true, alot of the minutia was taken out for the sake of the drama of the movie. Still, it's the best written movie of the year and should win Best Adapted Screenplay.

Finally saw The Fighter. Great movie. Bale was insanely good.

As you may know by now, I was never the biggest Bale fan but he knocked it out of the park with his performance. If he doesn't win Best Supporting, I'll be shocked, even though my vote still goes to Geofrey Rush. Either one would be fine with me, but Bale really should get it.