New Jersey Baseball

Neutral Zone Trap

This is highly unlikely to happen, but just for the sake of debate I'm interested in the feedback.

Let's say a MLB baseball team was "created" in New Jersey.

Would the fans on this board who follow the Mets and Yankees switch allegiance and support the New Jersey team ?

I'd like to hear the reasons why not if you'd still keep supporting the New York teams.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is highly unlikely to happen, but just for the sake of debate I'm interested in the feedback.

Would the fans on this board who follow the Mets and Yankees switch allegiance and support the New Jersey team ?

I'd like to hear the reasons why not if you'd still keep supporting the New York teams.

I'm a Red Sox fan. So I obviously can't get up to Boston to see games frequently. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the Yankees and really don't care much about the Mets. I'd certainly give a Jersey team a chance.

I actually had this conversation with my girlfriend's father and brother the other day - and got ripped lol. All three of us are Yankee fans and I am the only one who would switch. To be honest I don't really like New York all that much, I'm not a big city person, I love the suburbs. Of course people from everywhere have ego's but some New York sport fans take it to a new level. I only cheer for the NY Yankees since they are the closest thing to a local team. If given the option of a New Jersey team (I would love to see this happen) I would make the switch.

My girlfriend's dad already had a situation like this in his life, he grew up a Ranger fan before the Devils came to town, but stuck with the Rangers since that was already his team. I love New Jersey and whenever there is a Jersey team, I will cheer for them. It'd be awesome to have a Jersey baseball team but I can never see it happening.

Yes. I wouldn't stop being a Mets fan, but I can't not support a Jersey team. Just can't. The Jersey team would probably even become my primary team.

I remember in the early 90s the rumors of a team re-locating to Jersey and playing in a stadium to be built in the Sayreville area, just over the Route 9 bridge where a bunch of factories used to be. I wanted it to happen so badly...

It'll never happen, but yes. If there is a team that represents New Jersey, they're automatically my team. I'll burn my Yankees stuff (except for my Gehrig jersey ... my appreciation for that guy transcends the pinstripes) and jump on board with the NJ team 100%.

Same goes for football.

It'll never happen, but yes. If there is a team that represents New Jersey, they're automatically my team. I'll burn my Yankees stuff (except for my Gehrig jersey ... my appreciation for that guy transcends the pinstripes) and jump on board with the NJ team 100%.

Same goes for football.

See now football would be interesting. If for some reason the Giants and/or Jets actually re-named themselves the New Jersey Giants or New Jersey Jets...I'm not sure I could come on board there. If there were an entirely new team, yes...but I REALLY dislike both the Giants and the Jets, and I don't think changing the name from New York to New Jersey - even if they've been playing in Jersey for so long - would actually change anything in my head.

This is part of the reason why I don't get behind the whole Drop NY thing...I don't friggin' want either of 'em!

See now football would be interesting. If for some reason the Giants and/or Jets actually re-named themselves the New Jersey Giants or New Jersey Jets...I'm not sure I could come on board there. If there were an entirely new team, yes...but I REALLY dislike both the Giants and the Jets, and I don't think changing the name from New York to New Jersey - even if they've been playing in Jersey for so long - would actually change anything in my head.

This is part of the reason why I don't get behind the whole Drop NY thing...I don't friggin' want either of 'em!

I'm a Giant fan but if the Jets were named the NJ team, then I would switch my allegiance to them. I see your point though and sure many people feel the same as you do.

I'm a Giant fan but if the Jets were named the NJ team, then I would switch my allegiance to them. I see your point though and sure many people feel the same as you do.

For better or worse (usually worse), I'm a Seahawks fan...and hell, I guess it's okay for me to support ONE non-Jersey team throughout all of sports, right?

As a kid I used to be such a team-jumper. At various times when I was between 8-13ish I was a Jaguars and Cowboys fan for football, Colorado Rockies for baseball, and, for about two minutes (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I will)...Florida Panthers for hockey.

I don't know, it was the early 90s and I was fond of the idea of a liking a team that had no history whatsoever to hear about that happened before I knew what sports was. :lol: Then my father started talking sh!t about the Devils while simultaneously taking me to my first hockey game at the Meadowlands and that all changed.

I'm a Steelers fan, so I'm kind of indifferent toward both the Jets and Giants. If anything, I kinda dislike both of them for playing in New Jersey but still calling themselves New York ... to me it's a slap in the face. I can see what you're saying, but I'm with fiesty. I'd burn my Terrible Towel and jump on board in a heartbeat if either team actually switched their names to New Jersey.

But, again, it'll never happen.

I'm a Steelers fan, so I'm kind of indifferent toward both the Jets and Giants. If anything, I kinda dislike both of them for playing in New Jersey but still calling themselves New York ... to me it's a slap in the face. I can see what you're saying, but I'm with fiesty. I'd burn my Terrible Towel and jump on board in a heartbeat if either team actually switched their names to New Jersey.

I'd feel better about it if it were the Jets to do it than the Giants - I might be able to reconcile it in my head because while I dislike both teams, I REALLY dislike the Giants, and I only sort of dislike the Jets.

Also, as a Seahawks fan, I have an incredible hatred of the Steelers. You guys have like 20 Super Bowls, you couldn't let us just have that one?! It's gonna be another 25 years before we ever get that close again! :lol:

Also, as a Seahawks fan, I have an incredible hatred of the Steelers. You guys have like 20 Super Bowls, you couldn't let us just have that one?! It's gonna be another 25 years before we ever get that close again! :lol:

hahaha Sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better, I still want to punch a baby every time I hear the name Neil O'Donnell.

Definetly. It would be easier if they were in the AL.

BTW, the Lakewood Blueclaws have amazing attendance for a single A team. Good sign I figure. blueclaws.com

I love going to BlueClaws games. They're five minutes away and every Thursday is $1 beers. God bless low class-A baseball!

In all seriousness though, they greatly benefit from all of the retirement villages in the area. Cheap tickets and a plethora of really really old people adds up to minor league baseball success. I'm still upset that the Lakewood arena got shot down when Vanderbeek was thinking about moving the River Rats there.

I love going to BlueClaws games. They're five minutes away and every Thursday is $1 beers. God bless low class-A baseball!

In all seriousness though, they greatly benefit from all of the retirement villages in the area. Cheap tickets and a plethora of really really old people adds up to minor league baseball success. I'm still upset that the Lakewood arena got shot down when Vanderbeek was thinking about moving the River Rats there.

Me too man, me too. It had something to do with the lakewood town council right? Which is BS cause they practically play in Brick.

Lakewood's in a really good location - too far from NYC or Philly to really justify taking a family of four. Factor in great promotion, cheap tickets and next to no payroll and it's impossible for a team like Lakewood to fail. Teams like the Blueclaws and the Somerset Patriots will always be around, even when the Newark Bears of the world continue to struggle.

For better or worse (usually worse), I'm a Seahawks fan...and hell, I guess it's okay for me to support ONE non-Jersey team throughout all of sports, right?

As a kid I used to be such a team-jumper. At various times when I was between 8-13ish I was a Jaguars and Cowboys fan for football, Colorado Rockies for baseball, and, for about two minutes (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I will)...Florida Panthers for hockey.

I don't know, it was the early 90s and I was fond of the idea of a liking a team that had no history whatsoever to hear about that happened before I knew what sports was. :lol: Then my father started talking sh!t about the Devils while simultaneously taking me to my first hockey game at the Meadowlands and that all changed.

Since there isn't a true NJ football team I see nothing wrong with choosing a team from elsewhere. I always liked football but never had a team, I'd often work and miss all the games in high school so I never had a chance to develop a passion for a team. A couple of years ago I went to my first college and most of my roommates were die hard Giant fans who convinced me to choose them. Lucky me too because in my second year they won the super bowl.

Oh one thing....Florida Panthers....wow....I lost a lot of respect for you there.

(Just kidding)

My brother for some reason was always into NY teams, I guess since my dad's family is from there, and when I was really young he was raising me to be a Ranger fan. Then when I was six I found out there was an NJ team and switched and never looked back.

Normally I am the same way with "NY" teams playing in NJ, although in my story above you see why I am a Giant fan, though I suppose than I am a bit of hypocrite. I used to follow the NY/NJ Metrostars even though I thought the name was lame, screw the NY part. I sill was a fan when they were just Metrostars. When Red Bull bought them and used the NY name without any mention of NJ despite building a new stadium in NJ I soured on them and started to follow the Galaxy (I've always had this thing for LA and Beckham was joining them so I chose them) I wouldn't say I am a super fan though, I casually follow them.

Oh one thing....Florida Panthers....wow....I lost a lot of respect for you there.

(Just kidding)

My brother for some reason was always into NY teams, I guess since my dad's family is from there, and when I was really young he was raising me to be a Ranger fan. Then when I was six I found out there was an NJ team and switched and never looked back.

See, I can tell you exactly why I was initially drawn to the Panthers - they came around right as I was learning about hockey, my first favorite player was John Vanbiesbrouck, and his mask that first year with the Panthers was AWESOME.

The interest in that team lasted all of a few months before I went to a Devils game and realized the girl I liked at school was a Devils fan. :lol: That's when I switched over. Which was about a year and a half or two years before the first Cup, luckily.

Me too man, me too. It had something to do with the lakewood town council right? Which is BS cause they practically play in Brick.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23168

I'm still sore over this.

Lakewood's in a really good location - too far from NYC or Philly to really justify taking a family of four. Factor in great promotion, cheap tickets and next to no payroll and it's impossible for a team like Lakewood to fail. Teams like the Blueclaws and the Somerset Patriots will always be around, even when the Newark Bears of the world continue to struggle.

When you think about it, it's really amazing how many baseball teams there are in New Jersey. Lakewood BlueClaws, Somerset Patriots, Newark Bears, Camden Riversharks, Atlantic City Surf, Trenton Thunder ... am I missing any?

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23168

I'm still sore over this.

When you think about it, it's really amazing how many baseball teams there are in New Jersey. Lakewood BlueClaws, Somerset Patriots, Newark Bears, Camden Riversharks, Atlantic City Surf, Trenton Thunder ... am I missing any?

If that's not all of 'em, it's a good chunk of 'em. I've got an Atlantic League magnetic schedule here but you got all the Jersey teams there. Not too familiar with the teams not in the independent league though.

I was actually thinking of this last fall when I had to do a project for my sport marketing class. I feel like I am less of a Yankees fan every season. My dad was a huge Yankees fan so I've been a Yankees fan for as long as I can remember. While I don't think that is a valid enough reason (as DaneykoIsGod once put it regarding Rangers fans in NJ--"your dad also fvcked your mom, I don't see you chomping at the bit to follow in those footsteps"), I have a lot of great memories of going to the stadium and such so it's hard for me to just let go. Also, I have no idea what other team I would pick, but if there were a team to proudly call itself New Jersey, I would switch immediately. I hate associating myself with New York sports fans.

Absolutely not. I have too many fond memories of going to Yankee Stadium since 1996 or so. I can understand the argument, but to me I root for teams not just because of where they play but because of my experiences going to games, etc.

Fixed.

Anyway, to reply on topic, like many on here I've got a lot (OK, maybe not a lot) of great Met memories, but if a team actually came to NJ (I'd prefer it to be an expansion team, as it could build its own identity starting from scratch), it would be hard not to root for them. I honestly don't know whether I'd leave the blue and orange behind...it would actually have to happen for me to say for sure what I'd do.