New Jersey Baseball

Neutral Zone Trap

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See now football would be interesting. If for some reason the Giants and/or Jets actually re-named themselves the New Jersey Giants or New Jersey Jets...I'm not sure I could come on board there. If there were an entirely new team, yes...but I REALLY dislike both the Giants and the Jets, and I don't think changing the name from New York to New Jersey - even if they've been playing in Jersey for so long - would actually change anything in my head.

This is part of the reason why I don't get behind the whole Drop NY thing...I don't friggin' want either of 'em!

Dolphins 'til I die. End of story, regardless of anything. As far as a NJ baseball team- yes I would become a fan. I'm a Mets fan, but not what you would consider a die-hard... I'm somewhere in between the casual and die-hard variety (the only two teams I absolutely live and die on every play with are the Devils and the Dolphins).

Edited by MadDog2020

No way. Why? Because Im loyal to the Mets, they are my team.

edit: i guess another reason is that hockey and baseball are like equal for me, i think most people here just are casual baseball fans (not everyone, im just saying the ones who seem to have no problems switching allegiance from their team to the NJ team).. but otherwise I just cant understand how a diehard Yank/Met/whatever fan would have no problem switching allegiance to an NJ team.

I see your point and I would say most people probably agree with you. I do consider hockey and baseball to be my two favorite sports, well above anything else. I also consider myself a die-hard Yankee fan, I try to get to as many games as possible, I watch/listen to every single game, and I read multiple blogs a day to keep up with them and the farm system. I just love NJ enough since this is my home that I would still make the switch even though I have invested a lot of time and money, and have some great memories from being a Yankee fan.

The one thing a NJ stadium would have going for it would be the ease of getting there, compared to CitiField and Yankee Stadium (as well as Lincoln Financial). Suddenly Jerseyites don't have to navigate (multiple) bridges and tunnels (complete with expensive tolls) to see MLB. Think about how many more games NJ residents could go to...so much less traffic and travel time, and suddenly going to a night game during the week isn't so daunting (if I go to a Met game during the week, I'm not getting home until well after midnight, when I have to be up the next day by 6:00 AM). If NJ had a team, depending on where the stadium would be built, I could probably swing a few weeknight games a month. The convenience factor here is huge. Sure, it might start off as a novelty thing, where you go to see the Jersey team play the Mets or Yankees, and go to a few other games, but if you find yourself going to the Jersey team's building more and more, chances are you'd start becoming a real fan of theirs.

Besides the team being NJ for me, this is another huge reason I would switch. I love nothing more than to go to sporting events live but its hard for me to get to as many Yankee games as I would like. The convenience of having less of a commute and less cost is a big plus to me. Also, I have trouble getting out of work early enough to get to games and working 6-7 days a week makes it that much harder. If the team was local I would definitely be able to pull it off like I do for the Devils.

I just love NJ enough since this is my home that I would still make the switch even though I have invested a lot of time and money, and have some great memories from being a Yankee fan.

This is exactly the reason for me. A bigger dilemma would be if an NHL team in my hometown popped up, what would I do? That's a tough one.

I skimmed over this thread so sorry if this was stated already but when the Meadowlands was first being thought of and than later constructed they pushed really hard to get the Yankees to move there, the Yanks were even considering in the early 90s when the attendance there was just putrid (it is funny that it really wasnt that long ago) I also remember talks of the Marlins possibly moving here at one time.

Besides the team being NJ for me, this is another huge reason I would switch. I love nothing more than to go to sporting events live but its hard for me to get to as many Yankee games as I would like. The convenience of having less of a commute and less cost is a big plus to me. Also, I have trouble getting out of work early enough to get to games and working 6-7 days a week makes it that much harder. If the team was local I would definitely be able to pull it off like I do for the Devils.

This is the main reason I became a Phillies fan, I love the Yanks but I can't stand driving or taking public transportation to games, it takes forever for me so I started going to games down in Philly at the Old Vet and spending barely any money to see them play with a decent seat. At the time the Vet was a ghost town but when the new park opened the crowds started getting bigger just to see the ballpark and than everyone jumped back on the bandwagon but like someone said it in here, myself and the other die-hards who had watched some just awful teams for years deserved that championship.

The way I look at it with the MLB/NFL is that since the Yanks and Phils play in different conferences and barely ever play each other unless they meet in the finals(chances are slim to none) that I can easily root for both teams with no problem. The same thing goes with football, I'm a Jets fan first but I root for the Giants too except when they play each other, plus the world will explode before I see the day that the Jets and Giants meet in the Superbowl so I never have to worry about that.

If we had a baseball team in NJ I would probably get season tickets just because the commute would be the easiest out of the other teams around here.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I see your point and I would say most people probably agree with you. I do consider hockey and baseball to be my two favorite sports, well above anything else. I also consider myself a die-hard Yankee fan, I try to get to as many games as possible, I watch/listen to every single game, and I read multiple blogs a day to keep up with them and the farm system. I just love NJ enough since this is my home that I would still make the switch even though I have invested a lot of time and money, and have some great memories from being a Yankee fan.

See for me Im not really a person who loves the state.. I mean I like living here and all, and I really dont have many complaints, but I dont actually love the state. I love the team; the Devils.. I became a fan not b/c I live here, just because I enjoyed watching the Devils when I was younger.. it just so happened the Devils were on alot (obviously b/c they are the local team).. I wonder what would have happened if I turned on MSG instead of FSNY :doh1:

I wonder what would have happened if I turned on MSG instead of FSNY :doh1:

Lol, that's funny, because that was essentially how I became a Yankees fan. I was getting into sports, and came across a game on WPIX(didn't have cable then) and the rest is history, lol. Of course, if I had landed on WWOR back then, I might've gone the other way(and made the majority of the rest of my family quite happy, lol)

I just love NJ enough since this is my home that I would still make the switch even though I have invested a lot of time and money, and have some great memories from being a Yankee fan.

+1

Not too sound too cheesy or anything, but living in NJ has made me who I am. By rooting for Jersey, I'm rooting for myself, if that makes any sense. I'm not a city boy, so why would I root for the big city team if there is an alternative that represents me and where I'm from? Any time I travel I always bring a Devils hat with me because it's the only hat I can wear that lets people know where I'm from (I know, I know, but screw the Nets).

+1

Not too sound too cheesy or anything, but living in NJ has made me who I am. By rooting for Jersey, I'm rooting for myself, if that makes any sense. I'm not a city boy, so why would I root for the big city team if there is an alternative that represents me and where I'm from? Any time I travel I always bring a Devils hat with me because it's the only hat I can wear that lets people know where I'm from (I know, I know, but screw the Nets).

Amen to that.

It's funny, when I was out in San Diego for a conference a couple of years back - the sheer number of people who would stop me and say they were from Jersey (or random yelling of "DEVILSSSS!" from cars...) was astonishing. It happened six or seven times, and I was only wearing my jersey one day walking around the city.

You can take the boy/girl outta Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey outta the boy/girl.

It's nice to have that connection with people you don't even know. I used to hate this place (everyone does as a kid/early teenager)...but I could never live anywhere else now.

+1

Right on bro. Couldn't have said it better. I also always bring my Devils hat whereever I go, for the same reason. I wore it walking through Philly last year and the driver of one of those horse-drawn carriages yells at me: "THE DEVILS? F*CK THE DEVILS!" I told him to kiss my 3 Cups and reminded him that the Phaggots hadn't won a Cup yet in his lifetime. He shut up.

Edited by MadDog2020

• 8 months later...

Just a heads up, you can't post entire articles on this forum. There are legal implications.

That said ... the thought of a New Jersey baseball team with Evan Longoria, David Price, Carlos Pena, B.J. Upton, Carl Crawford ... wow! It'll never happen, but a man can dream.

Just for the sake of discussion, where would the ballpark go? How sick would it be if there was a major league ballclub in Newark too?

Just a heads up, you can't post entire articles on this forum. There are legal implications.

That said ... the thought of a New Jersey baseball team with Evan Longoria, David Price, Carlos Pena, B.J. Upton, Carl Crawford ... wow! It'll never happen, but a man can dream.

Just for the sake of discussion, where would the ballpark go? How sick would it be if there was a major league ballclub in Newark too?

It would probably go in the Newark area.. It's just such a transportation hub and flowering city that it really makes more sense than a swamp :giggle:

If the Yankees moved to NJ their uniform would resemble this:

DellCoaching.JPG

Is there a spot on Hoboken that would work? It is, after all, the birthplace of baseball.

Hoboken's too small, though I would love it. But they just can't handle even a minor-league arena, let alone a major league stadium.

I remember when I was younger, my father saying he read an article about some jersey businessmen trying to lure the Giants back to this side of the country, and how they wanted to build a stadium in Sayreville, just past the route 9 bridge (or before if you're coming from the south), where there's a whole lot of nothing (plus the old cineplex and building that used to be the chuck-e-cheese type thing).

It made sense then, and it makes more sense now because there's even more...nothing...now than there was before. Heh.

This is highly unlikely to happen, but just for the sake of debate I'm interested in the feedback.

Let's say a MLB baseball team was "created" in New Jersey.

Would the fans on this board who follow the Mets and Yankees switch allegiance and support the New Jersey team ?

I'd like to hear the reasons why not if you'd still keep supporting the New York teams.

Absolutbitively!!! ... I support every Jersey team ... past, present and future.

If we don't support our own teams, who else is going to?

-- Jersey and Proud of It