New Music

DaneykoIsGod

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Horehound" the debut album by The Dead Weather (Alison Mosshart, Dean Fertita, Jack White and Jack Lawrence) came out in Europe today and is coming out in North America tomorrow. You can listen to the entire thing for free on their facebook page. It's an awesome album, I really like the way they blended all of their styles while sounding completely fresh. So far it has decent reviews, really the main critique being that there isn't really a radio friendly song that will draw a ton of people, but who cares about that, the radio sucks anyway. Definitely one of my favorite bands now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeadWeatherTV" target="_blank">Check out their youtube page for some videos.</a>

Good suggestion. I listened to a couple of their track and I'm really diggin 'em.

Clutch's new album, Strange Cousins From The West, came out last week and I can't stop listening to it. You can listen to the whole thing on MySpace. All the songs are really good, but Motherless Child, Struck Down and Freakonomics stand out to me. Every time Freakonomics comes on I feel like breaking into a James Brown dance or something. They also continued their tradition of unconventional covers (they've previously done Howlin Wolf's "Who's Been Talkin'" and John Coltrane's "Equinox") by covering Pappo's "Algo Ha Cambiado." Great stuff all around, as always.

My cousins in Italy just sent me an album for a band Linea 77. It's an "Italian Nu Metal Band" It's okay.

In other news... since Jamie and I will be in the car for six hours on Thursday driving up to Upstate NY around the Canadian border... and then into Montreal, we need to music! Any suggestions? You all know what I like.

Rev theory is a pretty good band...theyll be playing the second stage at Crue Fest 2 this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZY1leVDZc

State of Shock is also another good band. I heard of them from my friend who saw they open up for Staind. Alot of their songs are pretty catchy so check em out.

Edited by RockingTheRed81

kay, i've jumped on board with the dead weather. they're friggen awesome. i'm going to atlanta in october to hang out with a friend and he got me a ticket to see them at the tabernacle. kind of really excited.

Hell yeah! I know I've already my love with them known in this thread but seriously they are one of my favorite bands out there at the moment. Check out this interview with them, hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INitu4Jfyls

by the way, i went to a show on sunday (went to see the forecast -- really good local illinois band), i ended up falling in love with the opener, a trio named the noise fm. they're not exactly anything groundbreaking but they had a really good sound. you can download their whole album for free on their website right now. definitely worth a listen or two: thenoisefm.net

Edited by RD

I've been listening to recently:

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (Warning only like 30 minutes long)

Moby - Wait For Me (Moby's new album, don't hate, he's good)

Modest Mouse - No One's First and You're Next (the new EP)

I've been hearing about Phoenix for about two years now, and finally heard a song of theirs on WXRP the other day. It wasn't bad, but not what I was expecting, either.

I bought the new Our Lady Peace and VAST albums the other day. Five years ago, getting the new albums by my two favorite bands (one of which before it was officially released - Vintage Vinyl rules) would have been cause for a major musical freakout.

But now, not so much. The OLP album is meh at best, and I'm so far removed from VAST that I didn't even realize they had put out a new physical in-stores-type CD until two months after the fact.

All of this said, I highly recommend Monkey Brains by Our Lady Peace and I'm Afraid Of You by VAST (the latter for the stellar lyric "You got a degree/In photography/And you take it out on me")

This may not be "new music" but I just discovered these guys and it's damn fine. Bell X1 from Ireland with the song "The Great Defector" live on Letterman:

YES! Keep forgetting about them, great call.

I know so little new music without 106.3 :evilcry: I'm still not over it. It's not summer in Jersey without FM106.3/G-Rock.

Came out today, but VVinyl tends to break release dates and had it on the shelf on Sunday when I went to search for the Iran album.

It's not AWFUL, but there's nothing there that's gonna make me want to listen more than twice. Which is weird, because even the OLP albums I didn't like (Gravity) had stuff that made me want to listen again. That talk of "we're gonna rock like Naveed" was BS.

They sound like a band that's afraid to do what they do best.

Monkey Brains is a good song, so was Refuge and White Flags...a lot of them I don't even remember which song was which though, they're all so...meh.

The album cover's probably the best one since Clumsy though, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

I know so little new music without 106.3 :evilcry: I'm still not over it. It's not summer in Jersey without FM106.3/G-Rock.

That's why you need some XM / Sirius in your life...sure, they are an annoying mega corporation with terrible customer service, but gosh darn to they play some good music now and again. The whole Bell X1 CD is quite stellar, by the way!

That's why you need some XM / Sirius in your life...sure, they are an annoying mega corporation with terrible customer service, but gosh darn to they play some good music now and again. The whole Bell X1 CD is quite stellar, by the way!

I get Sirius/XM on DirecTV and my father has it for his car. What strikes me is how much repetition there is...it seems no different than commercial radio in that respect. For as little as I listen to it, I hear the same songs over and over (if I hear Pearl Jam on Lithium again, or that damned Asteroid Galaxy Tour band that only seems to exist on Alt Nation again, I'm gonna scream)

Last, notice how I said "play good music now and again" :D The variety really has gone down the tubes in the years I've had it, but it's still better than commercial radio.

By the way, since we're all sharing music videos, allow me to post a video my brother recently shot and directed for an R&B singer friend of his. The song is a touch above decent but dare I say the video is pretty fantastic for being made with no money, although I am a touch biased. I'm just a proud brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0HA0KrtW4A

Edited by Bulletproof

Yeh, Bell X1 is good stuff. I've been away from Jersey for most of the summer but I too am not over losing G Rock. It made my delivery job much more enjoyable to actually hear decent music on the radio and it introduced me to a ton of new and old bands. Unfortunately for me I didn't find G Rock until a month before they switched.

Stuff I've gotten lately

Silversun Pickups- Swoon

Peter Bradley Adams- Leavetaking

Silversun Pickups are by far my favorite band. Ever since I heard "Kissing Families" from their EP Pikul I fell in love. Inbetween that EP and both of their full lengths I have never heard a track I didn't like. Great band.

Came out today, but VVinyl tends to break release dates and had it on the shelf on Sunday when I went to search for the Iran album.

It's not AWFUL, but there's nothing there that's gonna make me want to listen more than twice. Which is weird, because even the OLP albums I didn't like (Gravity) had stuff that made me want to listen again. That talk of "we're gonna rock like Naveed" was BS.

They sound like a band that's afraid to do what they do best.

Monkey Brains is a good song, so was Refuge and White Flags...a lot of them I don't even remember which song was which though, they're all so...meh.

The album cover's probably the best one since Clumsy though, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

I've been listening to a lot of the new Pheonix album lately. There are a whole bunch of great songs on it.

As for the new OLP album, it's average at best. I think you are right on with Monkey Brains and Refuge being the stand out tracks. The rest is pretty typical mainstream top 40 crap. I do like the album cover too.

Regardless of how good..or bad this album is...they are still a fun band to see live. I saw them last week and they put on a good show.Their guitarist has gotten a lot better live.

Edited by devilsrule33

Regardless of how good this album is...they are still a fun band to see live. I saw them last week and they put on a good show.Their guitarist has gotten a lot better live.

Yeah, I'm regretting not getting tickets for the NYC show tonight. The person I was going to go with couldn't go, so I didn't bother. I imagine there will be a full-scale tour eventually though, they always seem to do a handful of one-offs when a new album comes out, then an actual tour a few months later.

I have to say, after posting that semi-review, I downloaded the two "bonus" (Time Bomb and The Right Stuff) tracks that weren't on the CD I bought, and I like them both better than most of the stuff on the album, so they haven't lost their touch, they're just overthinking the album concept, I think. Which is ironic considering no one buys albums anymore it seems.

Edit: After listening to it multiple times, I think The Right Stuff could become one of my favorite OLP songs. Almost wishing I waited for the version of the album with the bonus tracks, instead of grabbing the regular version just to have it a few days early.

Edited by thelastonealive

okay so i just listened to burn burn and it's painfully mediocre. ew. i'm severely disappointed.

it sounds like i might like it a LITTLE more after a few listens but man, i was really expecting more. i'm still amped to see them in august but this sure put a huge damper on my excitement. sigh.