Patrice Bergeron, perhaps?

Triumph

Since when does Bettman make the rules? Funny I have assumed it was the majority owners all this time and he was just a sock puppet. And even that might be giving him too much credit.

Then that argument supports a 'bailout' even more; if the majority of owners are in trouble then they will change the rules. The teams that were 'honest' will moan and complain - as they should - but no way this league leaves talent on the sidelines because teams cannot afford to sign marquee players.

But don't you think, realistically, that if 80% of the teams in the NHL will be in trouble (and I don't claim to know the number) that Bettman won't change the rules? It doesn't benefit anyone when the NHL as a whole isn't putting the best product it can on the table.

Bettman doesn't have the power to change the rules. Any solution to this 'problem' will have to be collectively bargained. And what the owners are going to ask for is higher escrow payments which will likely result in a rollback of salaries. re: best product - that's kind of academic - most of the players missing won't be particularly good. I think the Devils are going to lead the fight against the CBA being re-opened, and Lou has the kind of clout to do that. We've seen teams just spending away assuming that the more they spend, the more leverage they exert on the NHLPA to change the rules.

I don't know, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bettman did change the rules, but I think it's better to be safe in this case. Spending with the idea that the rules will be changed sounds like a gamble I'd vote against.

I think Lou can gamble a little by signing a 3rd line center. It's not like he's going to miss out on anything great next year, nor does he have the money to spend anyway even with a cap inflator. Although it is worth noting that Dominic Moore was waived by the Wild..

I thought the Bruins signed Dany Sabourin. I think Tuuka will play one more year in Providence maybe?

Oh, that's right, good call. Sabourin is on a two-way contract, so I think Rask and Sabourin will fight it out for the backup position. Tim Thomas doesn't play a lot of games, so that's an important position.

Bettman doesn't have the power to change the rules. Any solution to this 'problem' will have to be collectively bargained. And what the owners are going to ask for is higher escrow payments which will likely result in a rollback of salaries. re: best product - that's kind of academic - most of the players missing won't be particularly good. I think the Devils are going to lead the fight against the CBA being re-opened, and Lou has the kind of clout to do that. We've seen teams just spending away assuming that the more they spend, the more leverage they exert on the NHLPA to change the rules.

Indeed. The GMs that have been smart and prepared for the long term would resist this.

I would love to have Patrice Bergeron, but I don't think he's been the same player since the Randy Jones hit.

Bingo.

Bergeron was largely invisible in the games I watched last year and he seems to shy away more from physical play. On a stacked Boston team he only potted 8 goals. Eight! That's worse than Gomez and Henrik Sedin, two of the more prolific "pass-first" playmakers. He's not the young player we saw before the concussions, when he seemed like he could center the Bruins' top line without Savard around.

If the Devils were to get him, and everything works with the cap, fine - I'll cheer him on no less. I just will have lower expectations than, say, 3 seasons ago.