Stuff To Do In DC?

njdevil26

Jamie and I will be with the Devils Fan Club on the 26th in Washington. We have from 2pm to game time to wander around the city. I haven't been to DC since I was about 15 so I have no idea what to do or where to go.

Any ideas?

Touristy stuff? Places to eat? Must see's?

Thanks!

I live outside of DC and normally would be at that game, but Im going to the west coast for the holidays.

The nightlife isn't that great, but since you'll be there during the day and the game is at night, Id go check things not seen before. If you are into walks and stuff like that, the area over by Georgetown is really cool. If you're a film fan, the Exorcist steps are pretty cool to see in person and they're relatively close to the campus.

Outside of the government/history stuff, there's not that much tourist-wise. The Smithsonian is a great time-killer though and its always worth a second visit, especially if its been years.

As for eating places, there are tons in the main tourist district with lots of choice and variety due to the population being from literally everywhere (one of my neighbors is Croatian and the other is English). If you're not strict meat/potatoes people, the Ethiopian food is absolutely amazing and you can get it good at just about any of the restaurants (many on 9th). Thats in Little Ethiopia (Shaw), which is near Dupont Circle. If not feeling that, there's a joint called "Ben's Chili Bowl" that is seriously the best chili Ive ever had. Thats on U Street also in the same general location. This area is easily accesible by taking the Metro to the Civil War Memorial.

The Smithsonian Museums are all free and are usually interesting. If you are into art the National Portrait Gallery is across the street from the Verizon Center. The Korean War Memorial is one of the nicest it is down new the Lincoln Memorial just off the mall. The WWII memorial is nice as well. That said bad weather is expected this coming weekend so I don't know if you want to do outdoor memorials.

Whatever you do don't go in the Spy Museum. It's across the street from the portrait gallery and Verizon Center but it is a complete ripoff.

If you're looking for things to do around the Arena, the Spy Museum is always a good bet (although it charges admission, unlike the Smithsonian museums). As far as food goes, I'd try to get into Matchbox, which is one of my favorite restaurants in that area. The area around the Verizon Center actually has plenty of restaurants, but a lot of them are chains.

I live in the DC area and hope to be at the game this weekend -- as soon as I buy a ticket. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm basically looking for a place to go eat lunch when we get there, a monument or site to see, a place to shop, then a bar/pub to have something to eat and drink before the game.

Don't forget this:

http://www.verizoncenter.com/about/neighborhood_restaurant_guide.shtml

What section will you be in? I am heading down there for the game Saturday morning. Didn't know about the DFC thing till well after I got my tickets and booked a hotel room...

They don't give us our tickets til we get on the bus. I'll probably be posting on the board while we are on the long bus ride so I'll know then.

Best view of Washington can be found at the Old Post Office Building's tower which is 5 blocks from Verizon Center on Penn Ave.

You can easily get lost in any of the Smithsonian Museums and spend a good 4 hours. All are an easy walk away from the arena. Forget the Washington Monument and White House because tour tickets only go out in the morning. The Lincoln Memorial is a hike from the downtown area and the closest Metro station is across the river in Virginia. Georgetown is nice but you need more bang for your buck with only 4 hours and there's no Metro stop there either.

A couple of commercial museums that are pretty cool that are near the arena as the Spy Museum which is right across the street and the Newseum that's on Penn Ave next to the Canadian Embassy.