And We Did It Without Claude, Too!

kenrock

Anybody else think about this...a friend of mine was teasing me about this throughout the Cup Finals...Claude was amazing in '95 (and in '96 too--IN DENVER) and played his role in '00. There really isn't a guy on the roster playing that role, is there?

Think Langenbrunner, Madden, Friesen, and Marshall.

I was thinking more the agitator/pest/cheater/borderline dirty role...Each of those guys are fiesty and Mad Dog talks trash and Friesen is kinda edgy...but none of those guys remind me of Claude per se...although I love the fact that each of the those guys are Devils and that one was an undrafted FA and we trade for the others...

Langs and Friesen kinda remind me more of a Randy McKay type, no?

And not Jimbo either...he is the resident goon with no speed and hands of stone! But I love him too...his role is like that of Peluso without the playoff scring touch (and maybe necessary ice time)...

Don't think I didn't think about the fact that we won without the guy we weren't supposed to be able to win without!!

On the ice, Marshall did a great job of playing that role. I'm glad there are pictures of him holding Salei's skate. That was riotous and a great example of it.

Also, Brunner. When you want the puck as much as he does, you're willing to do what he does to get it. I think Freeze -- I mean, Nachos!! -- took a real cue from him when they started playing together -- and some of his hits were just dynamite.

Off the ice, it's Nieuwy. He was really there for them in the locker room. He was key in Game 7 in Ottawa and key to turning the faceoff situation around as best as it could be in the Finals.

Not to mention Stevens and Dano who just lead the team by example.

When we didn't win without him, people said it couldn't be done. Well, we did it.

He is the guy "we could not win without." I thought about it. Pretty soon after it happened.

I'm not as big of a fan as most around here. Maybe cause I don't like seeing guys on teams of mine go to other teams, win and then come back and pretend it's all cool.

Dude, you steal my avatar and talk about my favorite Devil? :evil: I wish Claude would have retired here but alas....Lou and his money are not soon parted. He's a fan favorite!

Not meant to be I guess...money and ego. But then again, Uncle Lou got the necessary milage outta Claude I guess. And his stops in Phoenix and Dallas have had minimal to zero impact...and he wasn't even wearing the ole #22 in Dallas. What a shame. I think former Devil Kirk Muller was, no?

Ahh, Muller yet another fan favorite! LOL! :evil:

I'm not as big of a fan as most around here. Maybe cause I don't like seeing guys on teams of mine go to other teams, win and then come back and pretend it's all cool.

After that '95 playoffs performance...Claude has to be a legend to Devils fans. You gotta love Claude--stupid penalties and all. Now Holik I can see holding a grudge with, he cannot come back...the Rags are not as bad as going to the Avs (and helping them win a Cup) at least IMHO.

Not meant to be I guess...money and ego. But then again, Uncle Lou got the necessary milage outta Claude I guess. And his stops in Phoenix and Dallas have had minimal to zero impact...and he wasn't even wearing the ole #22 in Dallas. What a shame. I think former Devil Kirk Muller was, no?

Yep, Muller has had #22 in Dallas since he came in 99/00. I just realized while typing this that Hull had #22 when he first came here, because Verbeek had #16. Verbeek wasn't resigned after '99, so Hull got his #16, and Muller came in and got #22.

After that '95 playoffs performance...Claude has to be a legend to Devils fans. You gotta love Claude--stupid penalties and all. Now Holik I can see holding a grudge with, he cannot come back...the Rags are not as bad as going to the Avs (and helping them win a Cup) at least IMHO.

Lemieux was under contract & traded.

LHRB walked away on his own free will.

I hope Franken-holik's last ever SC Final game occurred in 2001.

Yep, Muller has had #22 in Dallas since he came in 99/00. I just realized while typing this that Hull had #22 when he first came here, because Verbeek had #16. Verbeek wasn't resigned after '99, so Hull got his #16, and Muller came in and got #22.

Wasn't Lemieux #32 w/ the Habs? Not unfamiliar territory for him! :)