Martin or Kovy

Daniel

77 members have voted

1. 1. Resign Martin Or Kovy?

• Kovy
    • Martin

Clarkson just might be the player most overrated by this board, of all time. He's the definition of a 'fan favorite'.

He's one of the few who will get in front of the net on a powerplay, or any other time. And what's so bad about a tough winger who hits, fights, and has the potential for 20 goals a year?

Clarkson just might be the player most overrated by this board, of all time. He's the definition of a 'fan favorite'.

I think if anything, Clarkson is UNDERrated. He's pretty much our only tough winger that can go out there and play some respectable minutes with skilled players. He can work the puck down low and take the body, not to mention he's one of the only Devils who can drive the net and cause some chaos in the slot. He's a fan favorite because he sticks up for teammates and drops the gloves, but he's also a very talented, key player to this hockey club. Especially at the beginning of this season, when he appeared to be off to a breakout year.

I think if anything, Clarkson is UNDERrated. He's pretty much our only tough winger that can go out there and play some respectable minutes with skilled players. He can work the puck down low and take the body, not to mention he's one of the only Devils who can drive the net and cause some chaos in the slot. He's a fan favorite because he sticks up for teammates and drops the gloves, but he's also a very talented, key player to this hockey club. Especially at the beginning of this season, when he appeared to be off to a breakout year.

He's also a true RW, along with Langenbrunner.

As much as I'm a fan of the team game with everyone contributing on defense, and Kovy kind of goes against that, there are so few chances to get a player of his caliber. I really think that, as long as it won't cost us Parise in the long run, Lou should put every effort into keeping him.

Problem is, with Rolston and Pando on the books, it doesn't really seem possible. Pando can be buried, but I don't know if Lou would do that to him. Rolston could only leave if some GM out there owes Lou a favor and takes him in a trade.

overrated != bad

I do not think he is overrated. He will be a 30 goal scorer at least a couple times in this league. As others have stated, he is gritty, throws his body around, fights and is not afraid to crash the crease. He is a sparkplug for sure and has been SORELY missed ever since he went down with the injury....

Ok, then what's so 'overrated' about a winger that hits, fights, controls the puck down low and has the potential for 20 goals a year?

Because, at least it seems by how some people talk, that his value to the team is as big as Parise or Elias.

Look at earlier in the thread, the 4 names listed are Kovalchuk(top 10 winger in the league), Parise(US Olympian and All-star), Martin(US Olympian and best defenseman on the team), and Clarkson(role player). So you can see how maybe that looks like Clarkson is getting overrated just a bit by being put in the same grouping of value as the other 3.

So it isn't that Clarkson is bad, it's not, he does a great job filling his role, but when people start acting like he is as much a linchpin of the Devils future as Parise then things are started to get overrated.

Because, at least it seems by how some people talk, that his value to the team is as big as Parise or Elias.

Look at earlier in the thread, the 4 names listed are Kovalchuk(top 10 winger in the league), Parise(US Olympian and All-star), Martin(US Olympian and best defenseman on the team), and Clarkson(role player). So you can see how maybe that looks like Clarkson is getting overrated just a bit by being put in the same grouping of value as the other 3.

So it isn't that Clarkson is bad, it's not, he does a great job filling his role, but when people start acting like he is as much a linchpin of the Devils future as Parise then things are started to get overrated.

A good team needs good role players. Clarkson is young and has potential to be a fantastic "role player" for the future of the club. I don't think his value is overrated. I'm not saying he's as important as Parise, but he's a player the organization should hold on to for sure.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

I think those 4 were only listed since they are the big names that will be FA in June 2010 or 2011. That being said, I think most people are pretty realistic on just what Clarkson brings to the team. No one is expecting him to ever be a top player in the league, but he has value to a team like the Devils.

You have to look at above-average but not great players like Clarkson in comparison to the alternative. When he gets back, we should see a lot less of Pandolfo, McAmmond, Nieds, Pelly, et al., especially on the power-play. That's what makes Clarkson valuable to this team. By contrast, if we're talking about a team like the '07-08 Red Wings, who had a guy like Dan Cleary, then he's not missed that much.

If the Devils lost Parise for a significant stretch of time, the team would be totally f'd.

Edited by Daniel