2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their scouting needs to get better, but so does the offense. This hot and cold stuff will not work in the playoffs.

Mike

Admittedly, I've been a terrible baseball fan this year. Something about the Kovalchuk thing dragging on so long has made it tough for me to go into baseball mode. But based on what little I've been catching here and there, I need to ask ... why does Berkman suck so bad? I mean, he's atrocious. Possibly an even bigger letdown than Pudge in his brief Bronx stay.

Their scouting needs to get better, but so does the offense. This hot and cold stuff will not work in the playoffs.

It's not like not being able to hit nobodies is anything. Think last year with Craig Stammen for WSH. I remember it going back to at least 98 when they faced CWS immortal Jim Parque and he shut them down. Until it's a whole new group of players, I can't imagine it changing. These other teams might as well just throw minor leaguers out there. They'd shut the Yankees out every time.

Admittedly, I've been a terrible baseball fan this year. Something about the Kovalchuk thing dragging on so long has made it tough for me to go into baseball mode. But based on what little I've been catching here and there, I need to ask ... why does Berkman suck so bad? I mean, he's atrocious. Possibly an even bigger letdown than Pudge in his brief Bronx stay.

Berkman even looked shot on the Astros this year. He had some quote where he said he didn't care that much or something. He was only hitting .245 there and one of his switch hitting sides is messed up. They got him for nothing so we really can't complain, but nobody could imagine that he'd make Marcus Thames look like Joe DiMaggio

here's his quote:

"I'm at the point in my career where I needed to either retire or find something that would sort of light the fire again. ... So this is almost a litmus test for me to see how much more baseball I have left."

He doesn't seem like he cares that much but I'll wait to judge

A couple of interesting posts from RAB today that I thought were worth passing along. They updated the Top 30 Prospects list now that the post-draft signing period has ended. Also they suggest DL'ing Javy to help get through this dead arm period in hopes of getting him back to being the pitcher he is capable of. I agree with them and I'd be excited to see what Nova could do his minor league numbers are very respectable this year:

22 GS 138.1 IP 1.258 WHIP 8.5 H/9 2.9 BB/9 7.0 K/9 2.45 K/BB 0.7 HR/9 2.93 ERA

Edited by thefiestygoat

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/08/rumor-de-la-nuit-hiroki-kuroda-34316/

Kuroda's going on waivers per Rosenthal, would obviously be a good get if the Yankees could acquire him

Also Damon sticking it to Boston by saying no. Awesome :evil:

It'd be nice if Kuroda fell all the way to the Yankees but I'm not going to hold my breath. I am also happy Damon decided not to return to Boston...I wouldn't have been mad at him at all if he did choose to go there, but it's nice not seeing him wearing that uniform.

Helluva win tonight, nice way to rebound from last night's sh!tty game.

Gary Wallace of nomaas.org sat down with Mark Newman for an excellent post draft interview. A lot of nice little tidbits of information on a lot of different prospects.

I don't think Kuroda is that much of a pipe dream. He is owed $2.7M for the rest of the season. I can't see too many teams willing to swallow that number.

Also glad to see Damon tell Boston 'no'. I guess he does have some principles beyond the money.

The starting pitching is starting to worry me. After the big man and Hughes it is a crapshoot. Whether it is Kuroda or someone else I would love for the Yanks to bring in another starter.

At least the Bridge to Mo looks set. Kerry Wood has been tremendous, Joba has settled down and despite the hiccup on Monday Robertson has been solid.

I don't think Kuroda is that much of a pipe dream. He is owed $2.7M for the rest of the season. I can't see too many teams willing to swallow that number.

the thing is Boston and TB can block him from getting to the Yankees. TB probably wouldn't but Boston's still holding out some kind of hope and might do it. I agree it's not a pipedream though. Prob about 50/50 that he could get here that way

Nice little read on Damon spurning the Sox.

Damon claimed that the decision to stay away from Boston was as difficult as the one to leave. In both instances, the Yankees were involved, though this time in a more tangential way. When the Tigers traveled to Yankee Stadium just last week, Damon was given a standing ovation, and he wondered how he would be treated if he were in a Red Sox uniform instead. Although Damon is beloved by his peers, who could not care less that he once left the Red Sox for a richer contract with the Yankees, he still seems concerned with how he is viewed by fans. He could not bear to jeopardize his relationship with a second major following.

By picking Tigers over Red Sox, Damon chose Yankees over Red Sox. If his allegiance were not clear five years ago, it is today.

I read Cashman said the Yanks have no intrest in Kuroda, but that could just be postering on his part.

I'm getting a bit po'ed at our offense as of late. We're not scoring runs and losing to pitchers who we should be knocking the cover off the ball on. I hope this changes soon.

Mike

I read Cashman said the Yanks have no intrest in Kuroda, but that could just be postering on his part.

I'm getting a bit po'ed at our offense as of late. We're not scoring runs and losing to pitchers who we should be knocking the cover off the ball on. I hope this changes soon.

Mike

the offense has been up and down like this all year. It seems like Tex and Cano are the only ones consistently hitting lately. Jeter's dead wood, A-Rod hasn't been the same and guys like Berkman and Granderson haven't quite lived up to their billing

Thames has been hitting and so has Kearns. Girardi needs to find a way to get their bats in the line up more.

Mike

Thames has been hitting and so has Kearns. Girardi needs to find a way to get their bats in the line up more.

Mike

Thames can't really hit righties though. He's more a situational guy. Kearns has always had the talent but's never really put it together. Might as well ride him until this streak runs out

That would be AJ Burnett. Not thrilled with that idea, but, he won't be worse than the other option (Vazquez)

Mike

Ivan Nova is probably our 4th starter in the playoffs behind Fill Yooz, CC and Andy is healthy (though if he's not, it's AJ time!!!)

Also the Big Puma's coming back when rosters expand. Cash and Girardi are gonna have to go Ol' yeller on him now

Edited by DH26

Ivan Nova is probably our 4th starter in the playoffs behind Fill Yooz, CC and Andy is healthy (though if he's not, it's AJ time!!!)

Also the Big Puma's coming back when rosters expand. Cash and Girardi are gonna have to go Ol' yeller on him now

Honestly, I would want that. Hopefully Andy can come back healthy and not have any more issues from here on out. If Hughes and Nova can just be decent behind CC and Andy I'd feel ok about their chances. I like Javy but his arm is done. I really expect nothing but bad things out of Burnett. Though you know he will pitch in the rotation in the playoffs.

Replacement Level took a look into AJ's season and there isn't much hope for him to come around.

Hopefully the bullpen can keep being solid and certain guys on the offense can get hot and pick up others when they are down.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Finally Tampa loses and we get a game up on them. I'm not liking our chances with AJ on the hill tonight. He always causes me to hold my breath when he pitches.

Mike

I'm hoping the Dodgers finally trade Lily to the Yankees so that the rotation can have some solid pitching behind CC, Hughes and Nova. Once Pettitte comes back, that could be the starting 4 for the playoffs unless Lilly comes over. Then Nova would be in the pen.

If the Dodgers still think they're in the hunt for a playoff spot, then I'm not sure why they put Lilly on the waiver wire if they arent going to trade him.

Mike