2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

I'm hoping the Dodgers finally trade Lily to the Yankees so that the rotation can have some solid pitching behind CC, Hughes and Nova. Once Pettitte comes back, that could be the starting 4 for the playoffs unless Lilly comes over. Then Nova would be in the pen.

If the Dodgers still think they're in the hunt for a playoff spot, then I'm not sure why they put Lilly on the waiver wire if they arent going to trade him.

Mike

Lilly would be great for the Yankees. A dependable pitcher who will eat up innings

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilly would be great for the Yankees. A dependable pitcher who will eat up innings

they apparently never even discussed it before the 8/31 deadline. The Yankees claimed him but the Dodgers didn't actually engage in any meaningful discussion, so here were are post decent AJ start

Nice win for the Yanks yesterday. Solid pitching performance by CC and Grandyman finally does something useful, coming off the bench and hitting 2 jacks.

Mike

Printed it for the train ride home :evil:

Mike

Jeter's contract will probably be anywhere from 75-100 for 3-4 years and the Yanks will pay it too. Imagine the public relations nightmare if they let him walk.

Mike

Remember, Mo, Girardi, Pettitte, Javy and Swisher are free agents as well. I dont see them letting Mo walk. Pettitte is always year to year and they'll resign him if he comes back. Swish, I feel should be resigned. Javy needs to go. NY is not for him and if Girardi wants to leave for Chicago, I'd let him go too.

Mike

I really, really hope they find a way to take 2 out of 3 in Tampa. Normally I don't let long streaks either way go to my head, but this losing skid coupled with all these injuries have me feeling pessimistic about them breaking out of this slump like I normally would expect.

Replacement Level takes a statistical look at the implications of this series with the Rays.

Go CC! Hopefully we get good news on Swisher's MRI tomorrow, Gardner gets better, and Pettitte has a successful rehab start.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I agree. This "Lose the battle, win the war" mentality is OK if you are going well, playing a bad team or have the division wrapped up. But the Yanks are struggling mightily a playing the team they are fighting with for first. You have to go all out. Or at least most of the way out to win.

At least the offense showed up tonight.

Hopefully this is the start of the team getting out of this slump. Looks like Long's work with Jeter is paying off. Swisher's MRI today revealed the exact point of inflammation and he got a cortisone shot for that. Looks like Pettitte had a succesful rehab outing and Gardner apparently was feeling better. Hopefully Tex having to play with a broken toe the rest of the way doesn't hinder him too much.

Amazing ceremony by the Yankees for Mr. Steinbrenner! Very touching, had to fight back tears the whole time. Win it for the Boss!

figures.... this has to happen when i am at work

Amazing ceremony by the Yankees for Mr. Steinbrenner! Very touching, had to fight back tears the whole time. Win it for the Boss!

ugh double post sorry

Edited by grcenter47

• 2 weeks later...

So as we hit the final weekend of the regular season the division title is still in play as Tampa is stumbling to the finish just like the Yanks. Unfortunately, they play the Royals and already lost to Grienke while we play Boston.

Since Tampa has the tie breaker we need to do 1 game better than them this weekend...

Yankees win the division IF

Yankees sweep Boston and Tampa loses at least one game

Yankees take 2 of 3 and Tampa loses at least twice

Yankees win one game and Tampa gets swept

Not likely scenarios but you never know.

Despite Girardi's talk of "wanting to win the division" I expect we will see some Scranton style lineups this weekend. And I am ok with that. I am more concerned with Pettitte's back and that Girardi will decide to use Bad AJ as a starter in the playoffs.

This has been a fun an entertaining regular season. Certainly more nerve wracking than 2009 but the playoffs are the playoffs and you can't complain too much.

I like our chances against Minnesota a lot more than Texas even if games will be played in a blizzard.

Pathetic finish for the Yankees. a 200 million dollar payroll and we have to settle for the fvcking wild card. Thing I have the most problem with is Joe is sitting there thinking he did all right. I pray he goes to Chicago after this season whether we win another WS or not. Guy just makes sh!tty mangaging decisions.