2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

So Melancon went in the Berkman deal...seems the Yankees soured on him fast. He was one of my favorite prospects to follow but relievers are extremely expendable, especially in this case since Houston is kicking some money. Best of luck to him, I hope he makes it in the Majors.

I like the Kearns pick up. Solid veteran player for the bench that doesn't cost much in dollars or trade asset. Cashman had a great day...I wonder if he has anything else up his sleeve? Some rumors going around that they want a more experienced infielder for the bench.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Melancon went in the Berkman deal...seems the Yankees soured on him fast. He was one of my favorite prospects to follow but relievers are extremely expendable, especially in this case since Houston is kicking some money. Best of luck to him, I hope he makes it in the Majors.

I like the Kearns pick up. Solid veteran player for the bench that doesn't cost much in dollars or trade asset. Cashman had a great day...I wonder if he has anything else up his sleeve? Some rumors going around that they want a more experienced infielder for the bench.

Melancon was terrible every stint in the ML but he got shuffled around a lot, so he needed to stick somewhere. He was even falling in AAA this year b/c of that.

I don't think they need another infielder. Pena hasn't hit as well as last year, but that's not what he's there to do. If it's just b/c there isn't that much experience on the bench with Cervelli, Curtis and Pena, then I guess I could live with it

Apparently, the Yankees think Romaine is the heir apparent to Jorge otherwise they would not have offered Montero up in 2 seperate deals. Word on Montero is that his catching skills are not on par to Romaine's. Plus, with 1b filled and unless you want to use him as a DH, there maybe no spot for Montero. If we got Lee and he signed an extension, I would have done it.

Mike

Austin Romine is a great defensive catcher and a good hitter. He doesnt have the power like Montero but definitely beats him on defense. I see Montero solely as a DH in the future

He is going to be at sports express in livingston signing autographs this month :koolaid:

Edited by grcenter47

i was hoping they would get Soria from the Royals so he can be their 8th inning set up guy and then hopefully the heir to Rivera when he decides to retire. I think a Soria/Rivera one two punch would be as lethal as Rivera/Wetteland from the 90's

yeah but what they'd have to give up would be ridiculous for a reliever. Either Montero/Romine and probably something else big too. You can find relievers. Robertson came out of nowhere for example

yeah but what they'd have to give up would be ridiculous for a reliever. Either Montero/Romine and probably something else big too. You can find relievers. Robertson came out of nowhere for example

I bet Albaladejo gets called up after deadline and either Park or Gaudin gets DFA'd. Either way their time is numbered right now. I wonder if they would consider Nova for the bullpen after a couple more starts in AAA if he is still pitching well.

Looks like the Yankees are getting Kerry Wood. Not really a fan of his but this is probably a salary dump so I'm fine with it given the asking price of other relievers. Perhaps the Yankees get lucky and Wood rebounds, though I would be surprised if it happened.

Low risk, high reward. I like Kerry a lot so I'd be happy with this move.

Looks like the Yankees are getting Kerry Wood. Not really a fan of his but this is probably a salary dump so I'm fine with it given the asking price of other relievers. Perhaps the Yankees get lucky and Wood rebounds, though I would be surprised if it happened.

if they get him for nothing and he's terrible, you just cut your losses. If he's great, then awesome. Nothing to lose here

isnt he prone to injuries?

Yup, but he's been fairly healthy since he's become a reliever

they also only got him for a PTBNL or cash so no risk

also, just listening to Harold Reynolds on MLB network saying a great OBP guy like Berkman hitting #2 is bad is just laughable esp when they had Swish there before. Harold's just embarrassing himself. Verducci and Hart seem to have gotten the sabermetric thing though

Edited by DH26

Yup, but he's been fairly healthy since he's become a reliever

they also only got him for a PTBNL or cash so no risk

also, just listening to Harold Reynolds on MLB network saying a great OBP guy like Berkman hitting #2 is bad is just laughable esp when they had Swish there before. Harold's just embarrassing himself. Verducci and Hart seem to have gotten the sabermetric thing though

well thats good... maybe we can dump Chan Ho Park now :cheers:

i love how chan ho park was lights out with the phillies but when he got here, he forgot how to pitch

last year was pretty much his only really good year since he left LA, so this year's like a reversion to the norm really

if they get him for nothing and he's terrible, you just cut your losses. If he's great, then awesome. Nothing to lose here

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the move, I'm just not getting my hopes up. I figure anything positive they get out of him is awesome.

Very solid showing for Cashman at the deadline...improves the line up, adds depth and a veteran to the bench, and set the Yankees up for a possible solid addition to the bullpen if all goes well. There is no other GM I'd want more than Cashman.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the move, I'm just not getting my hopes up. I figure anything positive they get out of him is awesome.

Very solid showing for Cashman at the deadline...improves the line up, adds depth and a veteran to the bench, and set the Yankees up for a possible solid addition to the bullpen if all goes well. There is no other GM I'd want more than Cashman.

Ever since they gave him control in 2005, he's been really good, making trades and not giving out stupid contracts like Sheffield over Guerrero. He makes little moves when he has to like Hinske and Hairston and gets the young guys involved. If not for him, Cano and Hughes are probably traded

Ever since they gave him control in 2005, he's been really good, making trades and not giving out stupid contracts like Sheffield over Guerrero. He makes little moves when he has to like Hinske and Hairston and gets the young guys involved. If not for him, Cano and Hughes are probably traded

Agreed. Plus I love the people he has put in place that have really re-stocked the farm system.

Here's to hoping this 2010 team he has put together gets the job done. :cheers:

Oh, and how about Robbie Cano tonight!

Edited by thefiestygoat

Tough loss yesterday. Berkman should not be at 1b the rest of the season. Tex would have had both balls that ultimately allowed runs to score. I can unnderdatnd what Girardi was doing when he sat Arod, Gardner and had Tex play Dh, but but the timimg was wrong. I would have rather come back to NY 3 games up rather than 1 game. Lets hope we can open up some ground this week against Toronto and Boston.

Mike

Tough loss yesterday. Berkman should not be at 1b the rest of the season. Tex would have had both balls that ultimately allowed runs to score. I can unnderdatnd what Girardi was doing when he sat Arod, Gardner and had Tex play Dh, but but the timimg was wrong. I would have rather come back to NY 3 games up rather than 1 game. Lets hope we can open up some ground this week against Toronto and Boston.

Mike

Really good series though. Felt like the playoffs. The first 2 were better but maybe Tex helps, but he can't play everyday. Oh well, can't go back and change it so just move on and focus on the next game. More than that I'd like Berkman to be able to hit a little more, but it's only 2 games, so I'm not getting worked up about it

Don't get me wrong, I understand you need to rest players. I just question the timing is all.

Not for nothing, Shields was on yesterday. Im not sure even if Arod and Gardnr were in the lineup we were hitting him.

Mike