Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Well that was stupid...the fvck are you bunting with Evans, a hot hitter not used to sacrificing, against a wild Cordero who just hit Wright and allowed a double to Harris. Gave him a free out

dumb managing

I saw a stat today.. that in 28 innings pitched against the Phillies, Pelfrey has given up 24 ER and 6GS.. wtf?? guy is a scrub

I pray he's pitched his last game as a Met. Pelfrey is a lost cause.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would actually be good to lose another game to the Reds as it would pretty much lock the #12 overall pick in the 2012 draft to the Mets.

As for Pelfrey... yeah, hes terrible. Nothing new there. His stuff is underwhelming, he no longer gets good groundball rates, he's NEVER posted great strikeout-to-walk ratios, he's NEVER handled opposite-handed batters well, and he's ALWAYS been terrible on the road. The only good thing he does is eat up 180 or more innings a season. That's it. I've been banging this drum since the beginning of the season. He should be non-tendered; the Mets can do better with $5-6M.

Edited by nmigliore

It would actually be good to lose another game to the Reds as it would pretty much lock the #12 overall pick in the 2012 draft to the Mets.

As for Pelfrey... yeah, hes terrible. Nothing new there. His stuff is underwhelming, he no longer gets good groundball rates, he's NEVER posted great strikeout-to-walk ratios, he's NEVER handled opposite-handed batters well, and he's ALWAYS been terrible on the road. The only good thing he does is eat up 180 or more innings a season. That's it. I've been banging this drum since the beginning of the season. He should be non-tendered; the Mets can do better with $5-6M.

Based on 2008 and 2010 (which were almost identical statistically), I understood why they gave him a shot...and even including his mediocre 2009, he put up a 38-32 record (with a 4.11 ERA overall) from 2008-2010. Not legendary stuff, but with Santana out, the Mets needed a body that could at least pitch about 200 innings, with a reasonable shot at posting a winning record.

Having said that, Pelf failed and failed miserably this season. The Mets could always give him another shot next year in the #4 slot (where he belongs), but I'd prefer that they just wash their hands of him. He's only 27, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe he's going to get any better, or tougher, or smarter. I still think the Mets made the right decision in giving him a chance to build off last season, based on their very limited options, but now it's time to make the right one in moving on.

This sounds like tremendous news:

MicheleSteele Michele Steele

Breaking -- Judge dismissing almost all claims in Madoff trustee suit against Mets owners

Edit: or maybe not just yet...

MicheleSteele Michele Steele

Judge in Mets/Madoff case is letting all but 2 counts stand ---HOWEVER it looks like those 2 counts still leave the main $1B claim intact

Edited by nmigliore

I sincerely hope Parnell is not on this team next year. All this guy ever does is give up big hits

He'll get at least next year to get the chance to show improvement...not like the Mets are going to spend any money on the on-field product anyway, so they probably won't be any better than they were this season. He's young and throws hard. But as we all know, that doesn't always mean a whole lot.

Wright is now 14-for-84 (.167 BA) with 1 2B hit, 2 HRs, 8 BB and 26 K since Sept 6. nmig, can we finally admit once and for all that this has not been a good year for David Wright?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Parnell does more than just throw hard though. He's good at striking batters out and he gets groundballs. Even though the walks are up this season (4+ BB/9), that's a great combination. Maybe he can't handle the closer's role, but he's at least a quality 7th or 8th inning man, probably better.

Collins said he'd do just that if Reyes got a hit. It's all to protect his chances at the batting title. Braun needs to go 3-for-3 or 3-for-4 to win the title now, I think.

But yes, it is very lame given the circumstances that this COULD be Reyes' final game as a Met.

Edited by nmigliore

I hate that crap. I couldn't care less about Reyes winning the title anyway...I know he qualifies, but something about missing 36 games takes a little away from it (at least for me).

Probably his last game as a Met, as it should be. The Wilpons simply can't take a chance on signing him to big dollars with his penchant for missing games (191 of them over the last three seasons). I know he did some good things here, but I can't honestly say I'll miss him.

I hate that crap. I couldn't care less about Reyes winning the title anyway...I know he qualifies, but something about missing 36 games takes a little away from it (at least for me).

Probably his last game as a Met, as it should be. The Wilpons simply can't take a chance on signing him to big dollars with his penchant for missing games (191 of them over the last three seasons). I know he did some good things here, but I can't honestly say I'll miss him.

The hilarious part of this post is that it is like the complete opposite of how everyone feels right now. Mets fans are pissed that their last memory of Reyes could be a bunt single in the 1st inning and removed for Justin Turner opposed to TC trying to be "cheap" with the battling title race.

This is bs. Reyes and everyone in charge of pulling him out of the game to preserve the title is a punk. Hey Reyes, why don't you go get hurt or underachieve for your team again... but as long as you get the individual title, you're fine.

I just heard Ryan Braun could take the title if he hits 3-4 or better today... come on budddy

This is bs. Reyes and everyone in charge of pulling him out of the game to preserve the title is a punk. Hey Reyes, why don't you go get hurt or underachieve for your team again... but as long as you get the individual title, you're fine.

I just heard Ryan Braun could take the title if he hits 3-4 or better today... come on budddy

:troll1:

Anyway, you know what's funny? Where is the outrage about Braun sitting last night with the lead and then coming in after Reyes got some hits? Oh, what about the Yankees taking Bernie Williams out after his 2-for-2 on the final day in 1998 when he was in the thick of the batting title race with Mo Vaughn?

If people are going to hammer the Mets/Collins/Reyes for this fiasco, it should be because it was potentially his last Mets' AB, not because it "taints" the batting title race. That's silliness.

Edited by nmigliore

:troll1:

Anyway, you know what's funny? Where is the outrage about Braun sitting last night with the lead and then coming in after Reyes got some hits? Oh, what about the Yankees taking Bernie Williams out after his 2-for-2 on the final day in 1998 when he was in the thick of the batting title race with Mo Vaughn?

!

well, sir, the reason we aren't talking about Bernie right now is because that was... 13 YEARS AGO! its still suspect, but whatever. just because this thing happens a couple times every 13 years doesnt mean he's gonna slide by

And o well, Braun sitting last night isn't the same as pulling him out of the game right after the guy gets a bunt

The hilarious part of this post is that it is like the complete opposite of how everyone feels right now. Mets fans are pissed that their last memory of Reyes could be a bunt single in the 1st inning and removed for Justin Turner opposed to TC trying to be "cheap" with the battling title race.

When I said "I hate that crap", I meant I hate when managers take players out of the lineup to protect their averages in a batting race. I think Reyes should've played the whole game, for the reason you imply...that Met fans should get to see him play a full game in what is very likely to be his last game as a Met. Maybe it's the fact that the Mets are coming off another sub-par season (even though it was expected), maybe it's that Reyes got hurt yet again and missed those 36 games, but his batting title chase had no sizzle to it for me...admittedly ironic, in that there wasn't much worth talking about lately.

I know a lot of Met fans will miss him, but I'm not one of them. I haven't forgotten the negatives that come with Reyes: the brainfarts, the occasional lack of hustle, the games missed due to injury, the September disappearing acts. Could he be an incredibly electrifying and exciting player? Yes, he could. But I think a lot of Met fans are going to remember the good and only the good. I'll remember both. Which is why I can't say I'm going to miss him a whole lot.

Admittedly, I hate ALL of that crap. Always did, no matter who's involved. Let it come down to a true last AB.

And o well, Braun sitting last night isn't the same as pulling him out of the game right after the guy gets a bunt

Uh yeah it is, it's the same thing...they're both sitting out to try to sit on a lead in the BA race. To me it wouldn't be tainted for Reyes though, if he has enough AB's to qualify then he deserves it. The only thing that would taint it a little is if Braun goes 2-4 tonight and that stupid hit off Reyes' foot last night winds up being what decides it.

Be that as it may, I can understand why the Mets did it - it's just as important to them as a franchise to have a batting crown winner (since they've never had one in 50 years) as it is to Reyes (who'll likely never even sniff another batting crown). Yeah you'd like the macho finish it off atitude of going up there each AB that a Williams had way back when but either way I'll be rooting for Reyes to get it tonight. Even if he might not be back with the Mets.

That said, the Mets kinda screwed up with how he left the game...I understand they're paranoid about batting around in the inning and not wanting to pinch hit for him should that happen but you would rather have had him exit as a defensive replacement when it's expected than just hurry him out of the game as if he's Bartman needing security to exit Wrigley.

God it's so funny when people who know zilch about baseball troll threads. :rofl:

you are yet to make any legit argument. going for the easy way out, just trying to say i dont know anything. solid stuff.

you acted like it even mattered if I was alive when Ted Williams played.

and what, by providing solid arguments im a troll? you're a joke

That said, the Mets kinda screwed up with how he left the game...I understand they're paranoid about batting around in the inning and not wanting to pinch hit for him should that happen but you would rather have had him exit as a defensive replacement when it's expected than just hurry him out of the game as if he's Bartman needing security to exit Wrigley.

Yeah, that's the only thing I was genuinely disappointed about. Just didn't seem like a proper "send-off" or whatnot.

Edited by nmigliore