Nhl Draft Weekend Thread

NJDevs4978

1983413DP001_NHL_Draft062016_lower.jpg

Several of the top prospects for the 2003 NHL Draft, including front row (l to r) Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, second row (l to r) Ryan Stone, Dustin Brown, Andrei Kastsitsyn, Marc-Andre Fleury, Dion Phaneuf, third row (l to r) Ryan Getzlaf, Eric Fehr, Ryan Suter, Steve Bernier, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, back row (l-r) Dan Fritsche, Zach Parise, Braydon Coburn, Patrick O'Sullivan, pose with the Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year) at the Gaylord Entertainment Center on June 20 , 2003 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images/NHLI)

Aaaaaand...(spotlight is on Parise)

post-1-1056231733_thumb.jpg

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

60. Vancouver (conditional to Phoenix) Marc-Andre Bernier RW Halifax (QMJHL)

61. Montreal (from Philadelphia) Maxim Lapierre C Montreal (QMJHL)

62. Tampa Bay David Backes C/LW Lincoln (USHL)

63. Colorado David Liffiton D Plymouth (OHL)

64. Detroit James Howard G Maine (HE)

65. Buffalo (from Dallas) Branislav Fabry LW Bratislava Jr. (SVK)

66. Boston (from San Jose) Masi Marjamaki LW Red Deer (WHL)

67. Ottawa Igor Mirnov C/W Moscow (Russia)

68. Edmonton (from New Jersey) Jean-Francois Jacques LW Baie Comeau

69 PHI

(from CAR) COLIN FRASER

70 PIT JONATHAN FILEWICH

71 CBJ DMITRI KOSMACHEV

72 EDM MISHAIL JOUKOV

73 PIT

(FROM FLA) DANIEL CARCILLO

74 BUF CLARKE MACARTHUR

75 NYR

(FROM S.J) KEN ROCHE

76 NSH RICHARD STEHLIK

77 PHX

(from PHI) TYLER REDENBACH

78 MIN

(from TOR) DANNY IRMEN

79 MTL RYAN O'BYRNE

80 PHX

(from VAN) DIMITRI PESTUNOV

81 PHI

(from NYR) STEFAN RUZICKA

82 L.A RYAN MUNCE

83 WSH

(from CHI) STEPHEN WERNER

84 STL

(from NYI) KONSTANTIN BARULIN

85 PHI ALEXANDRE PICARD

86 ANA

(from BOS) SHANE HYNES

87 PHI

(from EDM) RYAN POTULNY

88 STL ZACH FITZGERALD

89 NSH

(from WSH) PAUL BROWN

90 ANA JUHA ALEN

91 TOR

(FROM MIN) MARTIN SAGAT

92 NSH

(from TOR) ALEXANDER SULZER

93 NJ

(FROM STL) IVAN KHOMUTOV

94 EDM

(from WSH) ZACHERY STORTINI

95 PHI RICK KOZAK

96 T.B JONATHAN BOUTIN

97 CGY

(FROM S.J) RYAN DONALLY

98 NSH

(from DET) GRIGORY SHAFIGULIN

99 DAL MATT NICKERSON

100 OTT PHILIPPE SEYDOUX

101 STL

(FROM N.J) KONSTANTIN ZAKHAROV

There is the 3rd round.

Great time at the draft.

There was a much better crowd at the GEC than I thought there'd be. Probably 12-13,000. I don't get all the booing of the Devils though. They cheered when they showed a highlight package when Giguere was getting the Conn Smythe. Nashville must have been cheering for the underdog, since that's what the Preds will be for the next 5 years.

There were a few NJ fans with jerseys on, and I even got a "Let's Go Devils" chant as I walked through the parking lot with my Niedermayer jersey.

The line for to get your picture with the cup was ridiculously long, so I skipped it. I already got my picture with the Cup at the HOF.

Alot of Flyer jerseys at the draft for some reason. I heckled every one of them. ;)

A few of the prospects were walking around the concourse. I saw Jeff Carter (Philly's first pick) signing some autographs for some kids. I didn't bother to stop. :D

Ted Nolan was outside smoking when we left the arena. I was tempted to ask him if it was true that he's blackballed because he was boinking Hasek's wife, but I took the high road and just kept walking. ;)

He's 6' 3" 200lbs. now that is some size. Surprisingly he is also a center. He often considered a third defensmen on the ice.

NHL:

Ivan has the size and the attitude to be a solid NHLer. His aggresiveness, hockey sense, passing ability and shot can make him a top two line center and a power play asset, but he needs to think a bit quicker and feel comfortable in unfamiliar territory in order for that to happen. Ivan

Ivan Khomutov --C--Russia

A wildcard in the draft, Khomutov is a big forward (6-3, 180) with great offensive flair. Possesses good hands, finish and superb accelleration, but needs to put it all together. Excellent rise potential.

Weird, Hockey futures had him #25 of their top 30 in Feb. they also have his weight at 180.

6-3 180? That guy should be working in a record store, not playing hockey.

Thats an old listing. CSB had him at around 200 now.

And the majority of guys over 6' taken today were under 200 pounds remember most of them are 18 and are still growing and have yet to fill out.

CNNSI has a quick pice on a few of our picks

Khomutov-

2002-03 with Elektrostal (Russia): 20 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS, 8 PIM

NHL Central Scouting Rank: 21st among European skaters

If there's a wild card among European prospects, this is him. Some observers think he's one of the better Russians available, but others consider him lazy and project him as a second-round pick. He possesses an impressive wrist shot, a good touch around the net and above-average speed. He had trouble getting ice time in his first season in the Superleague and totaled just two points in 20 games.

Parise-

2002-03 with North Dakota (WCHA): 34 GP, 25 G, 32 A, 57 PTS, 32 PIM

NHL Central Scouting Rank: 9th among North American skaters

Another prospect with an NHL pedigree, he's the son of former Minnesota North Stars and New York Islanders winger J.P. Parise. Moved up two spots to finish the season as the ninth-ranked North American skater. Was the only freshman nominated for the Hobey Baker Award after recording three hat tricks, including one in his NCAA debut. He also led the U.S. team in scoring with four goals and four assists in seven games at the World Junior Championships. He lacks size, but so did his father, who made up for it with a tireless work ethic. Some scouts believe he's one of the best prospects to come out of college in years. "He's really got it all," North Dakota coach Dean Blais said. "He's quick, got great puck skills, he scores, he fights his way to the net, he finds a way to get his points."

We all know what Parise brings, but it looks like Lou took a risk on Khomutov, hopefully it pays off, and we get a good big center out of it.

This is slightly off-topic, but draft related. The Stars' 3rd round choice, #99, is Matt Nickerson, a defenseman from the Texas Tornado hockey club. He's not from Texas, he's from Connecticut, but has been playing in Texas for 2 years (it's a "Junior A" Stars affiliate in the NAHL). He's signed with U Mich for next year.

It's just a nice little step for hockey in Texas. :)

(The Tornado has won the NAHL championship, so they're a good team.)