Claude Julien

hmon

Madden took a slapshot at his giant head and he never did anything about it. Also, that year, Lou wanted to be behind the bench when we got bounced early.

That's actually the farthest we've gotten since 2003.

Supposedly Madden shot a puck at him in practice and there were no reprecussions which told the team he was soft and a figurehead. And I think Lou was also clearing the way for Sutter a bit, who he wanted for months before that.

But yeah that one looks pretty bad now, it'd look even worse if Boston didn't crap out against Carolina like we did last year.

Edited by NJDevs26

I don't know what is about the Devils since 2003, but it seems like almost everyone who has left has found success say for Sutter and Gomez (although Gomez did beat the Devils in 2008). I know this might be more circumstance than anything else and a lot depends on how the Habs-Caps game 7 goes, but it just feels that way.

team was playing poorly (in 1st place) going into the playoffs... it was clear we were going to do a first round exit with him as coach...which we did anyway under Lou/JM

Well, second round exit.

But yeah, the team looked like the team always does in March and April, like it didn't have the ability to beat anyone. Because Julien isn't Lemaire, Lou actually did something about it, but put himself in as coach instead of someone else.

lol we beat the Lightning that year, a series we could have easily lost if not for Gomez's OT goal in Game 4.

But yeah, we weren't mentally ready to go into the playoffs when we were actually above .500 in our prior seven or eight games before Julien got canned...like we were mentally ready to go into the playoffs being under .500 for three months this year?

We were playing really bad under Julien. I sincerely believe we would have lost to the Rangers if Lou didn't take over. Lou's take over actually sparked the Devils to win the division. If you remember we won on the last day after coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3 against the Canadiens. Then we swept the Rangers in the playoffs, so that year actually didn't sting so bad. Starting this thread is jumping the gun too as the Bruins are only going to the second round. Also, keep in mind the Bruins were the worst scoring team in the league this year. I say good thing he's not our coach.

Edited by ben00rs

lol we beat the Lightning that year, a series we could have easily lost if not for Gomez's OT goal in Game 4.

But yeah, we weren't mentally ready to go into the playoffs when we were actually above .500 in our prior seven or eight games before Julien got canned...like we were mentally ready to go into the playoffs being under .500 for three months this year?

Try Again

We were playing really bad under Julien. I sincerely believe we would have lost to the Rangers if Lou didn't take over. Lou's take over actually sparked the Devils to win the division. If you remember we won on the last day after coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3 against the Canadiens. Then we swept the Rangers in the playoffs, so that year actually didn't sting so bad. Starting this thread is jumping the gun too as the Bruins are only going to the second round. Also, keep in mind the Bruins were the worst scoring team in the league this year. I say good thing he's not our coach.

Wasn't that 2005-06 you are referring to? When Lou took over for Larry Robinson?

I believe Lou fired Julien at the end of 2006-07, and we played Tampa then Ottawa.

You guys are getting confused because Lou took over twice. The first time was when Larry had his stress attack and that was the year we came from behind to win the division and beat the Rangers. The next year was when he canned Julien with three games left, we were fortunate to beat a bad Lightning team then went down in five the next round.

Starting this thread is jumping the gun too as the Bruins are only going to the second round. Also, keep in mind the Bruins were the worst scoring team in the league this year. I say good thing he's not our coach.

Where were we, 20th? We weren't some great juggernaut and losing Savard and Lucic for long stretches, plus having guys like Ryder and Wideman underachieve really hurt them. And second round for two straight years is a lot better than what we've done over the last three. Plus they were like second in the league offensively last year.

Edited by NJDevs26

I think he's right, man. Lou took over for Robinson on 05-06, then fired Julien in 06-07.

Ok yea you guys are right my bad...I think I am thinking of Larry. My bad. But my points on Julien still stand. Bruins = worst at scoring during the regular season.

Edited by ben00rs

I don't know what is about the Devils since 2003, but it seems like almost everyone who has left has found success say for Sutter and Gomez (although Gomez did beat the Devils in 2008). I know this might be more circumstance than anything else and a lot depends on how the Habs-Caps game 7 goes, but it just feels that way.

Apologies for quoting myself, but John Madden scores an empty net goal to clinch the Hawks series wins.

Apologies for quoting myself, but John Madden scores an empty net goal to clinch the Hawks series wins.

And scoring that empty net goal means Madden has found success? Don't get me wrong I do think Madden has done well in Chicago (Even though that was his first point of the series). About what you said about traded Devils players finding success, well I think this is somewhat simplistic. The Devils players who have left for the most part have either run their course on the team or are looking for contracts too big for the Devils to handle. In Madden's case his offensive production cut in half in his last year with the Devils as compared to his second to last year. He clearly was past his prime and wasn't killing penalties as effectively as he used too. His time on the Devils was done.

Looking back at 2006/2007, I think it was a missed opportunity, just like this year. The Devils were coming off a very good season offensively (Gionta, Madden with their best scoring totals), it was also Patrik's first full year after hepatitis, he had a great half-season before that (plus, he was named captain). The team didn't lose anyone significant in the offseason prior to 2006/2007 I believe, and they still had Rafalski, Gomez and others. The team looked great on paper.

But offensively, the season was pretty disastrous. Of course, when a lot of your players play career years the season before, their production is expected to drop. But Julien was a bit too defensive, I think, and that didn't help matters. Maybe if Lou had hired someone else it would've played out better. We can only speculate now. Anyway, this looked like the best roster the Devils have dressed post-lockout IMO (until now, and despite having Kovalchuk and Parise on the same team, they still failed miserably in the playoffs...).

As for Madden and Gionta, I was actually happy to see them go. I mean, I love the guys, I wish them all the best and I hope Johnny wins the Cup this year. But their time in NJ was over, the team needed to start gradually changing its core. Though, honestly, I expected Lou to sign a center or a D-man for the money they freed...