If I Did It

Devs4LIFE

The offseason is here which means that as a Devils fan my mind wanders and I have lots of free time to try and figure out what I think it the best for this team, below is what I would do if I was Lou, I know that it is completely unrealistic and the chances of any of these moves actually happening are zero to none. Anyway try and enjoy.

Who to let walk...It's not secret that this team is going to look substantially different next season, so let's see who leaves via Free Agency.

To me the obvious choices will leave:

Rob Niedermayer

Dean McAmmond

Mike Mottau

Trade: Ok so here is where the hypothetical starts to get ridiculous but it is late so bare with me. It is no secret that Burke wants to get rid of Kaberle, it is also no secret that Lou Lamoriello is the man who Brian Burke respects the most which hopefully translates into Burke cutting us a deal which is why I propose this trade. Brian Rolston, the rights to David Clarkson and a 4th rounder in exchange for for Tomas Kaberle straight up.

I realize that the trade is pretty lopsided because we get to dump Rolston's contract on the leafs but maybe Rolston could actually be useful on the Leafs team and get a top 6 forward role. Also, Clarkson is a Brian Burke kind of player.

Next trade: This is a pre July 1st type trade, similar to the Bouwmeester trade from last year, The rights to Kovalchuk to the Avs and to us comes the rights to Peter Mueller. I had heard rumors that Lou was interested in obtaining Mueller and now is his chance. I realize that he played amazingly when he was on the Avs which means that they might be reluctant to let him go but at the same time is a low risk, potentially high reward move for them.

Next step is to dive into the Free Agency pool including our own Free Agents:

Resign Martin, 4 years 17.5 million with him being paid 4.5 his first two years. I think that this is a pretty descent contract, it's how much he was paid this year and I don't think any team is going to be willing to pay more then 5 for him.

Now we look for a center to play third line/role player. This is where Brendan Morrison makes his no so triumphant return to the Devils. Sign him 1 year 1.5 million and stick him on the 3rd line/PP. He can also jump up to one of the top two lines if someone is injured.

Sign Stephen Valiquette to a 1 year deal to play backup....Yeah I know, former Ranger but you're lying to yourself if you don't think he's a pretty good backup.

Ok now with the addition of some prospects here is what the Devils would look like if I ran sh!t.

Forwards:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Mueller-Zubrus

Palmieri-Morisson-Zharkov

Pandolfo-Pelley-Halischuk

extras: Leblond/Sestito

Defense:

Kaberle-Martin

Salvador-Greene

White-Corrente

extras: Fraser/Eckford

So yeah, there ya go.

I think Langenbruner is a goner because of his public display w/ JL. .Hopefully Zubie becomes a mainstay on Parise/travs line. We do need a 2nd line pivot, like a stempniak?? Morrison sucks, absolutely no more offensive skills (like rob neids only worse) Salvadore was a disappointmnet. He';s just not a shutdown guy. I love fraser (his game 3 gaffe aside) he was great in the reg season when he keeps it simple like whitey.

Kaberle I would love to see here. He's definately a top 3 d-man. I'd love to see a Hal Gill type, but not many of these out there. I think Kovy is a goner. He may say he'd love to be on a winning team, but $$$ talks louder. However with all the fo schizzle going on in the khl these days, he may wind up staying. He does put butts in the seats!

Brian Rolston, the rights to David Clarkson and a 4th rounder in exchange for for Tomas Kaberle straight up.

There is no chance in hell Brian Burke makes this trade. He wants to trade Kaberle because he wants to bring in assets to the organization, not because he wants to dump him. He will get better offers elsewhere.

Trade: Ok so here is where the hypothetical starts to get ridiculous but it is late so bare with me. It is no secret that Burke wants to get rid of Kaberle, it is also no secret that Lou Lamoriello is the man who Brian Burke respects the most which hopefully translates into Burke cutting us a deal which is why I propose this trade. Brian Rolston, the rights to David Clarkson and a 4th rounder in exchange for for Tomas Kaberle straight up.

I realize that the trade is pretty lopsided because we get to dump Rolston's contract on the leafs but maybe Rolston could actually be useful on the Leafs team and get a top 6 forward role. Also, Clarkson is a Brian Burke kind of player.

Next trade: This is a pre July 1st type trade, similar to the Bouwmeester trade from last year, The rights to Kovalchuk to the Avs and to us comes the rights to Peter Mueller. I had heard rumors that Lou was interested in obtaining Mueller and now is his chance. I realize that he played amazingly when he was on the Avs which means that they might be reluctant to let him go but at the same time is a low risk, potentially high reward move for them.

Now we look for a center to play third line/role player. This is where Brendan Morrison makes his no so triumphant return to the Devils. Sign him 1 year 1.5 million and stick him on the 3rd line/PP. He can also jump up to one of the top two lines if someone is injured.

Sign Stephen Valiquette to a 1 year deal to play backup....Yeah I know, former Ranger but you're lying to yourself if you don't think he's a pretty good backup.

Burke doesnt want to get 'rid' of Kaberle. He has been willing to hold onto him for as long as he needs to, it wouldnt surprise me if he never traded him at all. Remember, he wouldn't move him for Kessel at the draft so Clarkson and Rolston will not cut it.

Kovalchuk's rights dont really have any value, especially the sort of value to Mueller who did excellent under the Avs last season. They dont want to trade Mueller and especially for the rights of a player who wants to test free agency.

Brendan Morrison doesnt have much left, he certainly can't play the top two lines and third is questionable. Better than Nieds? Yeah, but don't expect him to put up 40 points here, maybe 25-30 is reasonable. I'd pass on him.

Also, Stephen Valiquette? Seriously? The guy was awful this past season, he was put on waivers and it was obvious noone wanted to pick him up. Spent half the season in Hartford playing poorly.

I think the Leafs have a pretty damn good chance to be pretty good this year. The time to get Tkabs cheap, let alone at all, are gone imo. Morisson has no legs left either. If we're going going after guys that old, I'd rather have Weight Gordie Howe.

I think this is more appropriate.

some interesting ideas but i'd have to agree with what others have said. kaberle for clarkson + 2nd - that's actually possible. i've said rolston's tradeable but the devils have to sweeten the pot to get rid of him.

peter meuller's interesting but i don't think kovalchuk's rights get him. kovy's unrestricted and at most will bring back a 3rd and a player the other team has NO intention of signing - which category meuller doesn't fit.

morrison is intriguing but i still think belanger is the better choice.

I wouldn't want to see Clarkson gone. He's got to get another chance. He started out well before the injury and never made it back. I've had it with Elias at this point but it's impossible to move him unless he wants to go. An occasional spark is not what I want in a player when I see the Flyers and Habs with players who are willing to dive into pucks to make a defensive play.

i'll reiterate the deal i feel makes the most sense:

langy and martin's rights for arnott and hamhuis.

also, sign weekes for a cheap contract, his glove side was getting amazing under brodeur, that is if he wants to sit on the bench, he sounded like he wasn't too eager to do that when i spoke to him.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat