Important Dates - "season Threes"

sheeps

I dunno, TBS and Cartoon Network play 'em, wouldn't be surprised if Spike TV tried to pick it up too. It was too controversial at points for network TV but I think cable will let it live for a while... I mean you're right, Simpsons will be one of those shows on re-runs forever... so I guess I just rambled.

Family Guy, that first set was priceless. Simpsons 1+2 aren't too spectacular, 3 will be better, 4 will be getting into the greater years. But still - all essential.

Can't wait for Seinfeld to come out on DVD, they HAVE to do it at some point.

Might take a LONG time for syndication to wind down...

In DC there is two hours of Seinfeld a day (at least), 6:30-7:30 on TBS, 7:30-8:00 on Fox, and then again at 11:00 on Fox. My roommate and I watch all four episodes almost every day.

Might take a LONG time for syndication to wind down...

In DC there is two hours of Seinfeld a day (at least), 6:30-7:30 on TBS, 7:30-8:00 on Fox, and then again at 11:00 on Fox. My roommate and I watch all four episodes almost every day.

Same here. Perhaps they'll wait until it's shown only at 11:30 or something? That's what happened with Cheers, and that's on DVD now.

I read an article in I think it was Newsweek (could have been Time) about Family Guy how it gets a million viewers on Cartoon Network every night it's on, making it the highest rated show on cartoon network of all-time, and the Cartoon Network president wants the creator of Family Guy to make new episodes but he is involved in a new series right now and doesn't plan on making new FG episodes in the near future.

And to talk about Seinfeld DVD, I doubt that will ever happen because of what sammy said about the syndication. Seinfeld will probably never stop being syndicated in the near future for certain, thus making a DVD would be pointless. The re-runs of Seinfeld are still watched by millions every week, myself included. I just wish that the Puertorican Day Parade wouldn't be banished from TV, that one was hilarious. "I'm H.E. Pennypacker. I'm a wealthy industrialist and philanthropist and a bicyclist." lmao!

Speaking of cartoons, does anyone remember "The Critic". I used to love that show. Last night I was flipping around the channels and there it was on Comedy Central. Downloading some of its episodes now to add to my collection of FG episodes and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I disagree because of one thing: I Love Lucy. If you wanna talk about syndication, talk about I Love Lucy. At any given moment of any day, it is on somewhere on earth.

But when VHS videos first came out, I Love Lucy videos followed. When DVD sets of TV shows started getting popular, I Love Lucy started on the bandwagon.

Granted, you never know how long a thing like this could take. But I think eventually Seinfeld will definitely be on DVD. They actually have something like 10,000 pre-order requests on amazon.com, people vowing they'll buy any one that comes out.

Yeah, I love the Critic, I have taped most episodes. Taping TV - yeah I still do it!

I still firmly believe that a Seinfeld DVD will not released anytime soon because the TV networks that syndicate Seinfeld knows they will lose a lot of viewers since the only why to watch Seinfeld now is through re-runs, unless you've taped every episode. The networks broadcasting Seinfeld every weeknight still make a great deal of money with the advertisement slots for the half hour or hour they run the show, the demand for it is still very high.

But as I write this, you could make the same arguement about The Simpsons DVDs. The Simpsons are on re-runs every night by virtually every Fox affiliate and by making a DVD would probably cause them to lose viewers every week night they broadcast. Unless Fox released the DVD themselves (which actually could be true, I do not own a Simpsons DVD so for those that do, is it put out by 20th Century Fox?). Cause if it is, then Fox still profits from everything, making releasing a DVD a smart business move.

But since Seinfeld is broadcasted on Fox and TBS every week night (and used to be broadcasted on the WB), say if NBC put out the DVD since I'm sure they still own the rights to the series (pure speculation since I am not familiar with another legally) then Fox and TBS would not get any profit of the DVD and lose viewers at the same time because the demand to watch it on TV would go down when you will be able to watch the episodes anytime you desire.

But with all that being said, if a Seinfeld DVD ever came out, I will buy it. haha

I have no doubts that Seinfeld will be on DVD. It's just a matter of when. I'd say in a couple of years at the earliest. It's not like they are going to release the entire nine (??) seasons at once. If they release the first season they can still broadcast the rest w/o much conflict.

Like I said earlier, I think they are just waiting for the amount of syndication to go down.

It's either that, or they're just being greedy and hyping the hell out of it. :D

My bet is either 2005 or 2006.

Simpsons DVDs are being released SLOWLY, that's one key thing. Other shows release one season and then another a few months later. Simpsons is more or less one a year, meaning Season Three in 2003, Season Four in 2004, etc. To the best of my knowledge... am I wrong? I have a feeling I am.

Simpsons DVDs haven't killed anything, because they don't play the episodes from those seasons anymore.. whenever I catch the Simpsons it's from Season 10+.. NEVER from the seasons already released, or from the seasons called "good".. (aka 2-8).. and so far, you're right Sheeps, but I have to imagine they will speed up production soon. But yeah, season three of the Simpsons is one of the best, and watching them in this format gives one a chance to appreciate it.. the show was so subtle and brilliant in the early seasons.. later seasons it's way too obvious with punchlines and surreal go-nowhere jokes.. okay overanalyzing, even though I know you like the analysis of comedy, sheeps..

Movies are available on DVD and on television, it doesn't stop them from being played on DVD/VCR and watched on television.. Just as with a movie, only extreme fans will get the DVDs and watch them to the point where they won't want to watch them when they come on TV. In fact, look at Family Guy.. they released DVDs of FG at the same time the show came back on the air and the ratings were huge.

A DVD release can create interest in a show people had lost interest in. This doesn't seem to be true of Seinfeld, so it doesn't really make sense to do it, even if it wouldn't put a serious dent in viewership.

I like the fact that the new board doesn't show whether a post has been edited.. it masks how neurotic I am about my writing.

Movies are available on DVD and on television, it doesn't stop them from being played on DVD/VCR and watched on television.. Just as with a movie, only extreme fans will get the DVDs and watch them to the point where they won't want to watch them when they come on TV. In fact, look at Family Guy.. they released DVDs of FG at the same time the show came back on the air and the ratings were huge.

I don't think this should be compared to movies. Movies aren't on as often. Seinfeld, among others are on on a near daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day.

Sure, HBO and Co. repeats the hell out of movies, but still not the same as airing the show daily. That and not everyone has HBO, but almost everyone has broadcast television.

I loved the critic, too bad it's only on at like 3am on comedy central, once a month.

the best simpsons season were probably 3-6, then it jumped the shark trying to be too topical, trying to be in touch with pop culture.

season 5 was probably the best. Cape Fear, The B Sharps, Homer Goes to College, Bart as Burns heir, Homer and Mindy!

Fox shows some older Simpsons, not the real early ones, but 2-8 I'd say for sure. They definitely like showing the mroe recent ones but they do show some of the classics.

I agree about the comedy analysis, but personally I like both types so it doesn't matter much to me. I mean, Family Guy is not subtle at all (rarely it is I guess, but mostly not) and I love it. Meanwhile I loved "Being There."

Family Guy isn't subtle at all, true, but it sets itself up as a completely different show.. the Simpsons was subtle once, Family Guy's subtlety is in the way it is so incredibly weird and anecdotal.. "like that time..." is a common setup, and one has no idea where it'll go.. the Simpsons also set itself up to have sympathetic characters, FG's are simply vehicles for humor and have almost no human value whatsoever..

I guess that's true sammy, they can't be compared, but in some sense they can be.. big time fans of a movie will get that movie and probably not watch it when it comes on TV.. television's easy, that's why it's popular..

Oh yeah, the Critic was a good show.

Simpsons killed itself by being too overtly pop culture, just like SNL. A key to satire is staying removed from pop culture, so as to not become a parody of oneself.. South Park did this (when I watched it anyway)..

Very good analysis Tri. :clap:

I don't think I'd change Family Guy's humor. They set up situations for unrelated bits (like TV shows, flashbacks, and other parodies) that don't fit into the plot at all. The Simpsons used to be a lot more plot-driven but has ended up a bit more like the Family Guy in that the plot changes so much. But with the Simpsons, there's one plot with many twists that change the show without sacrificing continuation. Family Guy has a very basic plot that jumps all over the place but doesn't move forward that much. Does that make sense? Maybe. For the Simpsons, it's like they do one thing, then another, then another, on and on and on. By the end of the show there are so many twists that the beginning seems fuzzy. But with Family Guy it's basically one simple plot, maybe a few twists, but many side distractions that don't contribute to the plot at all.