Devils' Kovalchuk will test market

overtime98

The New Jersey Devils have tried to woo soon-to-be-free-agent superstar Russian left wing Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) to a long-term deal since the team's elimination by the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round, according to the New York Post, but Kovalchuk is going to wait and see what other teams offer him once the free-agency window opens on July 1.

Kovalchuk was already offered big money to return to Russia and play for the Kontinental Hockey League's team in St. Petersburg.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Devils-Kovalchuk-will-test-market?urn=nhl,245108

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which ones have stayed? I honestly cannot name them in the last 10-15 years.

I'll be waiting for this answer as well..... When it comes out that a pending (big name) free agent for the devils will test market, I think all of them have left.

I'll be waiting for this answer as well..... When it comes out that a pending (big name) free agent for the devils will test market, I think all of them have left.

Oh, I thought perhaps you were being sarcastic in your post. Seriously, this is not good news for anyone who thought Kovy is going to re-sign. Oh well, now we can put that money towards Parise next year and getting some help at center and defense, so not really a loss.

The biggest four in the last decade.

Elias? Hello folks, he received more money from the Rangers. (HE STAYED FOR LESS MONEY)

Langenbrunner could've left.

STevens could've left. (STAYED FOR LESS MONEY)

Brodeur could've left. (STAYED FOR LESS MONEY)

The better question is how many have the Devils wanted back before they left.

Didn't want Madden, Rafalski, Gomez or Gionta.

Lost Niedermayer because of his brother.

Who else? Holik - ok the Rangers gave him a blank check.

Edited by HellOnICE

Elias? Hello folks, he received more money from the Rangers. (HE STAYED FOR LESS MONEY)

Elias was a Devils draft pick and stayed within the org. because he likes to drink kool aid.

Lagenbrunenr did not and isnt a superstar goal scorer to be able to "test" the market.

Stevens and Brodeur were kool aid drinkers from day 1. Not the same thing as Kovalchuk "testing " the market.

Niedermayer left because he still had a bad taste in his mouth from the arbitration he had with Lou and the devils!

and Most Devils fans are in denial that they didnt want Madden, Ralfaski, or Gionta to re sign or come back.... its clear that we miss those type of players. Our Defense, PK, and goal scoring in front of the net is missing without them. They tested the market and found a home. Madden was the only one who didnt get a multi year deal because of his age!

and who is holik and gomez? never heard of them?

Gomez left to the Rangers (he got a better offer from the Rangers so we "lost" him)

Holik left to the Rangers

Driver left for the Rangers

Nieuwendyk left for the Leafs

Mogilny left for the Leafs

Gilmour left for the Hawks

Andreychuk left for the Bruins

Gionta was wanted by the Devils, but didn't want to pay him the money so we technically "lost" him to Montreal

Rafalski was wanted by the Devils, but we didn't want to pay him the money and he wanted to play for Detroit, so we also "lost" him.

Looks like really in the last 15 years, only Elias and Langs stayed.

Edited by DevsMan84

Haha so if they "drink kool-aid" - they don't count as SUPER TALENTED players who could've gotten WAY MORE money from other teams.

Really, we are in denial? - I didn't want Gionta, Rafalski or Madden at the time and I still don't. Go back and look.

I'm not going to get into it - but please tell me keep any of those 3 at the money they got would've been a good idea considering the guys we have/had coming up, and for the role they would've played for ENTIRE duration of that contract.

I'll only comment on Madden - because I said this last week. He would've been a fvcking baby playing 11 minutes on the fourth line here in NJ with Leblond and Pikkaraennan.

Personally for me, I think this means that Kovy will not be back. In my opinion, he would have to sign before July 1st and take less money to stay. Now he's going to test the market and get decent sized offers from other teams that we won't be able to match.

Haha so if they "drink kool-aid" - they don't count as SUPER TALENTED players who could've gotten WAY MORE money from other teams.

Really, we are in denial? - I didn't want Gionta, Rafalski or Madden at the time and I still don't. Go back and look.

I'm not going to get into it - but please tell me keep any of those 3 at the money they got would've been a good idea considering the guys we have/had coming up, and for the role they would've played for ENTIRE duration of that contract.

I'll only comment on Madden - because I said this last week. He would've been a fvcking baby playing 11 minutes on the fourth line here in NJ with Leblond and Pikkaraennan.

But Gionta Rafalski and Madden each have more cup rings than their "replacements".

Gomez left to the Rangers (he got a better offer from the Rangers so we "lost" him)

Holik left to the Rangers

Driver left for the Rangers

Nieuwendyk left for the Leafs

Mogilny left for the Leafs

Gilmour left for the Hawks

Andreychuk left for the Bruins

Gionta was wanted by the Devils, but didn't want to pay him the money so we technically "lost" him to Montreal

Rafalski was wanted by the Devils, but we didn't want to pay him the money and he wanted to play for Detroit, so we also "lost" him.

Hahaha...and how many of those guys really panned out with the other teams for the money. What's your point - the Devils should've kept all of these players? I don't think I have to explain that most free agents leave because they get crazy money, which is what most of these guys got from the teams that signed them and most of them DID NOTHING with their new teams.

I don't recall the reports of the Devils offering Gionta anything.

How can you say Brodeur and Stevens didn't "stay" - holy S - the two biggest guys in the organization stayed.

Gilmour? Andreychuk? - really - these are criticisms??? REALLY? - also considering they got Arnott and that went horribly.

But Gionta Rafalski and Madden each have more cup rings than their "replacements".

What is your point - the Devils should just keep all players who have won cups?

How many rings does Chicago have other than Madden?

How many does Philly have other than Pronger?

Edited by HellOnICE

Also. Something to think about. If Martin and Lou are waiting til there's a new coach, maybe that means a new coach is coming before July 1st to prevent Martin from testing the market.

Maybe Martin wants to stay and he and Lou are on the same page so they are just not going to rush it and concentrate on the coaching situation? Just a few things to think about.

Hahaha...and how many of those guys really panned out with the other teams for the money. What's your point - the Devils should've kept all of these players? I don't think I have to explain that most free agents leave because they get crazy money, which is what most of these guys got from the teams that signed them and most of them DID NOTHING with their new teams.

I don't recall the reports of the Devils offering Gionta anything.

How can you say Brodeur and Stevens didn't "stay" - holy S - the two biggest guys in the organization stayed.

Gilmour? Andreychuk? - really - these are criticisms??? REALLY? - also considering they got Arnott and that went horribly.

What is your point - the Devils should just keep all players who have won cups?

How many rings does Chicago have other than Madden?

How many does Philly have other than Pronger?

Gomez and Gionta did better than the Devils this year in the playoffs and we cannot forget Gomez tore the devils apart in the 2008 playoffs. Andreychuk won the cup with Tampa Bay back in 2004, but I guess you forgot that.

Chicago might not have rings, but they are about to get theirs it looks like. That will be at least 1 more than most of our team.

Also, I think you forgot as well that we did not get Arnott through free agency. We got him as part of a trade that involved sending Zelepukin and Guerin up to Edmonton.

It is so fun to see all of these Lou kool-aid drinkers come out and be all defensive when it comes to free agency. When the Devils re-sign a player, it is because they are loyal and "could" have left for less money. When they leave, it is only because the Devils didnt want them and it could never ever be because they simply got more money or wanted out of NJ.

Stevens and Brodeur were kool aid drinkers from day 1. Not the same thing as Kovalchuk "testing " the market.

Stevens was not a Kool Aid drinker from Day 1. Please go back to his early days in NJ; he didn't want to be here initially and he almost left the first time he had a chance.

Agreed.

Really, you speak for everyone here?

Gomez and Gionta did better than the Devils this year in the playoffs and we cannot forget Gomez tore the devils apart in the 2008 playoffs. Andreychuk won the cup with Tampa Bay back in 2004, but I guess you forgot that.

Chicago might not have rings, but they are about to get theirs it looks like. That will be at least 1 more than most of our team.

Also, I think you forgot as well that we did not get Arnott through free agency. We got him as part of a trade that involved sending Zelepukin and Guerin up to Edmonton.

It is so fun to see all of these Lou kool-aid drinkers come out and be all defensive when it comes to free agency. When the Devils re-sign a player, it is because they are loyal and "could" have left for less money. When they leave, it is only because the Devils didnt want them and it could never ever be because they simply got more money or wanted out of NJ.

It's so childish to be like "Well they did better in the playoffs this year, so clearly giving these players the length/terms they wanted would've been justified.

Gomez and Gionta had a great playoff, woopdeedoo. Gomez was so great he was traded by the team that signed him for the contract. One great playoff = Gomez would've been worth 7+ M in this cap world. I mean come on, you're being ridiculous. Montreal is in problems again with Plekanec now, because Gomer was signed for so long with a sh!t contract.

Gionta got 5 Million - had a decent season and a great playoff - but you want to invest 5M in a guy we have a similar skillset to (and a guy who does it better, btw - Parise). Not too mention we would've had Parise, Gionta and Tedenby all on the sameteam in year 2 of that contract...Oh boy.

Let's go back to .........Andreychuk? Devils won 2 cups, went to 3 finals in 4 years after he left. I mean, what were we really missing? What is the point arguing this one?

Gilmour got 6M to do what in Chicago? he played for 4 more teams after he left NJ - clearly everyone thought he was so valuable.

Stevens was not a Kool Aid drinker from Day 1. Please go back to his early days in NJ; he didn't want to be here initially and he almost left the first time he had a chance.

Agreed.

Yes, I know Stevens intially even did not want to report for training camp in his first season with the Devils, but he eventually did. If it wasn't for giving him the "C" and for building the team around him and the defense, he probably would have left. We cannot give everyone a letter and we cannot build the team around every player, so Stevens is a special case. However, history shows that more often than not, a player leaves the Devils when he says he intends to test the free agent market.

Agreed.

Did I say I spoke for everyone Rowdy. Read what I wrote. I said "I".

Gionta wasn't offered anything by NJ. They didn't want him. Still the right move. We didn't need Parise and Gionta doing the samething for 12M combined. Not with Tedenby coming into the fray too.

I said the Devils wanted Rafalski, but not for the length/terms.

Edited by HellOnICE

It's so childish to be like "Well they did better in the playoffs this year, so clearly giving these players the length/terms they wanted would've been justified.

Gomez and Gionta had a great playoff, woopdeedoo. Gomez was so great he was traded by the team that signed him for the contract. One great playoff = Gomez would've been worth 7+ M in this cap world. I mean come on, you're being ridiculous. Montreal is in problems again with Plekanec now, because Gomer was signed for so long with a sh!t contract.

Gomez who?

Yes, I know Stevens intially even did not want to report for training camp in his first season with the Devils, but he eventually did. If it wasn't for giving him the "C" and for building the team around him and the defense, he probably would have left. We cannot give everyone a letter and we cannot build the team around every player, so Stevens is a special case. However, history shows that more often than not, a player leaves the Devils when he says he intends to test the free agent market.

Don't most players?

Gionta got 5 Million - had a decent season and a great playoff - but you want to invest 5M in a guy we have a similar skillset to (and a guy who does it better, btw - Parise). Not too mention we would've had Parise, Gionta and Tedenby all on the sameteam in year 2 of that contract...Oh boy.

Let's go back to .........Andreychuk? Devils won 2 cups, went to 3 finals in 4 years after he left. I mean, what were we really missing? What is the point arguing this one?

Gilmour got 6M to do what in Chicago? he played for 4 more teams after he left NJ - clearly everyone thought he was so valuable.

Looking at the playoff record of Gomez since he left the Devils and the Devils playoff record during the same time, which has had more success? I rest my case on that.

There is no guarantee that Tedenby is going to be some awesome 30-40 goal scorer for the Devils as well. Right now, it is pure speculation and he could be down in the minors or even released during this coming season.

You stated before that the players the Devils let go did nothing when they left, but Andreychuk did win a cup and that does count for something. Do not backtrack on your arguement since someone did do something after the Devils.

Funny now people are saying on here that we have $5 mil to spend on Martin and even more on Kovy, yet we did not have any money for Gionta last year. Gio has a better track record than either and if you want to compare him to Kovy, then one clearly has more bang for his buck in terms of playoff success.

Looks like the Lou kool-aid is flowing strong today. We have not won a playoff series in 3 years and the players that apparently we did not want are winning playoff rounds and winning (or about to win) cups.

Don't most players?

Yes but if LOU hears that a player wants to test the market, He usually considers him a lost cause before he even signs somewhere else. basically at this point Kovalchuk would have to go back to lou if he wanted to stay....... and realistically that probably isnt going to happen. Lou is not going to chase him down at this point, evidently he tried to resign him and Kovalchuk didnt agree......

the players that apparently we did not want are winning playoff rounds and winning (or about to win) cups.

So true! It seems that every year Players that left or did not want, are in the finals (or closer than the Devils can go) every year.

Appearently we did not want asham and where is he now?

We didnt want madden and where is he now?

They arent the whole team for the flyers and hawks but they are a big part of their success in the playoffs.

Edited by overtime98