Nets, Devils Move? What, Me Worry?

Rock

Nets, Devils move? What, me worry?

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==

Sunday, August 31, 2003

By LISA GOODNIGHT

STAFF WRITER

Imagine the outrage if there were serious talk about moving the Knicks or Rangers from Manhattan.

So why are so many folks in New Jersey, including many sports fans, so indifferent to the negotiations that could land the Nets in Brooklyn or Long Island and leave the Devils looking for a new home?

Well, first of all, many have no idea how seriously to take the daily updates of closed-door negotiations, rumors, and denials. It's simply hard to tell if a deal is really around the corner.

"There's been talk about it for so many years,'' said Jason May, 18, of Montclair.

And then there's another factor. May, like many in New Jersey, owes allegiance to an out-of-state team. "I'm not a Devils fan,'' said the Boston Bruins enthusiast at the Ice House in Hackensack. "So I don't really care.''

Interviewed at the Ice House, a basketball court, and elsewhere in Hackensack, some said the teams' departure would lessen the state's image and deny families a fun activity. But even some sports fans said they could deal with the teams departing.

Many don't want Trenton to subsidize private teams - something the governor recently said would not happen. And others simply won't allow themselves to get worked up over the possibility of a departure to New York, when the teams could still be seen on television.

"I would care. They're close to home. It's easier to go there [in New Jersey] but I wouldn't lose any sleep,'' said Ryan Gibbons, a 26-year-old hockey instructor from Paramus.

Also at the Ice House, Bob Ofner, 45, of Rockaway said he wishes his fellow sports fans would pressure politicians to work harder to keep the teams in the state.

He would like to see the teams move to Newark where, he said, they would improve the city's reputation and provide an economic boost.

"The Devils are champs and the Nets practically are champs. You would think everybody would be in favor of them staying'' in New Jersey, Ofner said.

Karen Jones, an attorney from Teaneck who plays pickup basketball, said she was all for the teams going to Newark, too.

"New York already has the premier teams,'' said Jones, describing herself as a serious Nets fan. "They're so synonymous with New Jersey always being the underdog and fighting.''

Mustafa Abdullah, a 42-year-old from Hackensack, said, "I would be a little upset'' if the teams left.

A man identifying himself as Frank said thinking about the Nets' or Devils' future home is "a waste of my time.'' He said sports has become too commercial.

But Elsie Palsi, one of the owners of Redd's, a sports tavern in Carlstadt, said in a phone interview that so many people in the area are employed because of the two sports franchises.

"It would be a big blow to the area,'' Palsi said. "We'd lose out because of the jobs."

Joseph Marino, 59, of Hackensack said it would be shame if the teams left.

"It's part of the landscape,'' Marino said. "It's like a landmark.''

There will be very little outrage if the Nets move to New York; only because the majority of fans will have that "its still on tv" outlook. Hockey fans never, and never will have a fair say in it... I love how they find a Boston Bruins fan here...

The franchises have been helping New Jersey get some respect. We've been building Jersey up as a good hockey team; and we went from a laughing stock NBA team to perennial Eastern Conf champs; and the only team in the east who can compete with the western powerhouses of basketball.

It would be so classic to the underdog story though; work so hard to get something, and when it actually becomes valuable; big brother steals it as his own.

I agree with the statement that there always seems to be this threat of being moved. The Devils and now the Nets have been stuck with greedy owners for so long now I wouldn't even bat an eyelash when the next headline says "Devils to be in Maine by the end of the year!"

The owners have rattled the sabres so much that most of us have tuned it out. Instead of getting the fans behind them they have just made the majority of us throw our hands up and say whatever just do it!

some people on one of the Dallas Stars boards are contemplating what they will do when the Devils move down to Houston. Apparently there have been rumors from somewhere about that possibility. Guess you have to just laugh them all off until some official announcement about what's going on is made.

Not that Im liking the idea; but theoretically; if the Devs were moved to the West; would the Wings move to the East? Interesting perrenial stanley cup favorites trade conferences...

That said; I dont think there is much to the Devs moving to Houston...

ugh Philly. I had to put up with the Philly fans for four years of college at TCNJ. Now I'm back for grad school and I fear it happening all over again. I went to several games a year there and the fans are brutal. I don't think I would ever want to be associated with that group. I'm sure there are some nice ones in that group, just haven't met any yet :D Don't know which way I'd go if the Devils left town.

ugh Philly. I had to put up with the Philly fans for four years of college at TCNJ. Now I'm back for grad school and I fear it happening all over again. I went to several games a year there and the fans are brutal. I don't think I would ever want to be associated with that group. I'm sure there are some nice ones in that group, just haven't met any yet :D Don't know which way I'd go if the Devils left town.

Yup Arnie25, it is annoying! I live across the street from TCNJ and I get stares at the 7/11 with my Devils plate frame. I wore my jersey the day the Devils won the cup got some snickers. Oh well :)