Blue Jackets grab Malhotra off waivers

westcoastdevfan

Blue Jackets grab Malhotra off waivers

Canadian Press

11/21/2003

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CP) - The Columbus Blue Jackets have given Manny Malhotra new life, claiming the former first-round draft pick off waivers from the Dallas Stars on Friday.

Had Malhotra not been picked up Friday, he would have been sent to the Utah Grizzlies of the American Hockey League.

The Stars felt Malhotra needed some time in the minors after he was scoreless in nine games this season and averaged just seven minutes 47 seconds per game.

The six-foot-two, 215-pound centre produced his best offensive NHL season with the New York Rangers in 1998-99, when he recorded eight goals and eight assists in 73 games.

Malhotra, a fourth-line checker who's due to make $1 million US this season, was expected to join the Blue Jackets in time for Saturday's game against the New York Islanders.

``This move is in line with what we are tying to do in that we're adding youth, size and speed to our lineup,'' said Columbus GM Doug MacLean. ``Manny is a solid two-way centreman who has great size and speed.''

A native of Mississauga, Ont., Malhotra was the Rangers' first pick, seventh overall, in the 1998 draft. He spent his entire junior career with the OHL's Guelph Storm.

Good pickup for Columbus. This is just the type of player they need. Once Todd Marchant's contract runs out, Malhotra should be ready to take his spot.

I wonder, though, they're already in last place and Malhotra will require a 1.1 million dollar contract next year. Why pay that for a 4th line center?

I am so glad that Manny was picked up by Columbus. I've been a fan of his since he was in NY and he just has not been given a fair chance in Dallas. He was obviously in the doghouse there, not picking up more than 5 or 6 minutes per game when he actually got to play. I hope he does well with his new team!