Hard Hits: "Step Up"

Derek21

This one is an Isles' feature, Top Ten team rankings and a few tidbits.

http://srh.hockey.sportsline.com/news/1073112857

Hard Hits: Step Up

Jan. 3, 2004

markparrish37.jpg

Parrish Pumped: Isles' right wing Mark Parrish celebrates after beating Devil goalie Martin Brodeur in recent win.

Out of all the teams competing for the playoffs in the East, the hardest one to read are the New York Islanders. As unpredictable a team as there is, the Isles got out of the gate well winning seven of their first 12 (7-3-2-0).

Then, the Islanders lost a tough game at home to Atlanta on November 8th. It was a contest they led by two goals but the Thrashers scored three unanswered to take the lead. The Isles tied the game only to allow a goal with under ten minutes left. The way they lost affected them but not as much as losing teammate Jason Wiemer. Wiemer, a popular guy who brought energy to the team, was told by g.m. Mike Milbury that this game would be his last as an Islander. Wiemer was put on waivers on November 12th and picked up by Minnesota the next day.

Milbury cited that the team was under a strict budget and had younger players that could replace Wiemer. But that wasn't the thing that boiled over in the locker room. It was another Milbury comment on Wiemer that divided the team. Saying that Wiemer wasn't a team player (essentially a lie) distracted the team.

The Isles were a mess. Though they split the next four games, something wasn't right. The team was inconsistent from period-to-period and shift-to-shift. It was hard to tell which team would show up. What followed was predictable. The team lost seven consecutive games.

It started with two one-goal losses at Tampa Bay and Columbus that weren't close. In both games, the Isles allowed their opponents to score early on before mounting a last ditch rally in each just to fall short. It would only get worse. Shutout by lowscoring Carolina 2-0, the Isles went into total freefall to end the month. In blowout losses to Detroit and the Flyers, the Isles were outscored 11-1. Making it worse was that in the 5-1 home loss to Philly, Janne Niinimaa scored the opening goal before the Flyers got the next five before a furious Nassau Coliseum crowd. They then lost to bottomfeeder Washington 4-1.

Rockbottom came when the Isles dropped their seventh straight game to the archrival Rangers. The 4-2 loss was misleading in one aspect. The Rangers took advantage of undisciplined Isles' mistakes to bury them. To their credit, the Islanders fought valiantly cutting a three goal deficit to 3-2 in the final period before the Rangers put the game away.

Even though the Isles lost to the Rangers, they took some positives out of the game. They competed better and used that as a rallying cry to change their season. Change it they did. They went 4-0-0-1 in their next five managing nine of a possible ten points entering a rival clash with the Rangers. But in the rematch at Madison Square Garden, it was the Rangers that outplayed the Isles and were hungrier. Though they cameback late again and lost by a goal in a 4-3 defeat, it wasn't enough. The team would lose another game in a row to the Flyers on the road.

However, after back-to-back defeats, the Islanders once again showed some resolve. Finishing December with a team high six-game winning streak, the Isles scored impressive victories over the Flyers, Maple Leafs and two against the defending Cup Champion Devils.

What made the streak more amazing was that after losing their best player Alexei Yashin to a gruesome right forearm laceration in a December 23rd win over the Flyers, the team didn't sag. Instead, it rallied around new head coach Steve Spirling and rattled off four more wins to end their best month (10-4-0-1) in 20 years.

Though their win streak was snapped in a 1-0 loss at Ottawa on New Year's Day, the team played well showing no signs of slowing down. What could hurt is another loss to a key player. Right wing Mark Parrish suffered a high ankle sprain in Thursday night's game. He is expected to be out eight weeks. Team Captain Michael Peca also missed the Ottawa game with a groin strain. It's uncertain when he'll return.

One thing is. The Isles will look to impressive rookie Trent Hunter for offense along with Oleg Kvasha, Mariusz Czerkawski, Dave Scatchard and Shawn Bates. They should continue to get a boost from goalie Garth Snow and defensemen Adrian Aucoin, Janne Niinimaa, Roman Hamrlik and Kenny Jonsson.

At seventh in the East with 41 points, the Isles will try to stay in the race without some of their best players. Considering how they responded to the loss of Yashin, expect them to show more character. It's why they could be a dangerous team come April.

Hard Hits Top Ten Rankings: This is a look at which teams rank in our debut top ten list and why.

1.New Jersey Devils- With best goalie and defense in the game, the defending Cup champions are the team to beat. Could use playmaking center.

2.Toronto Maple Leafs- Great forward depth up front and Ed Belfour in net. Imagine how much tougher they'll be when Alexander Mogilny returns. Could use another defenseman.

3.St. Louis Blues- This team is ready to come out of the West. They continue to win despite injuries to stars Al MacInnis, Chris Osgood and Pavol Demitra. Only need is a healthy roster.

4.Ottawa Senators- After a slow start, they are coming on. Unbeaten in last eight (6-0-2). Have great speed, transition game and underrated goalie. Only need might be a gritty center.

5.Detroit Red Wings- Best offense in the league and getting solid goaltending from Cujo. Once third on the depth chart, Curtis Joseph has given them a lift with Dominik Hasek out with a bad groin. Could use a defensive D-man. Will Derian Hatcher return this Spring?

6.Vancouver Canucks- Lethal first line now has help from Sedin twins. Boasts solid D. Only question is can Cloutier win in postseason?

7.Philadelphia Flyers- Just call them Vancouver Canucks East. Mike Comrie is scoring but can they win with Jeff Hackett and Robert Esche???

8.Colorado Avalanche- Plenty of offense and reliable goaltending from David Aebischer. How will he do in postseason? Could use a healthy Forsberg and Kariya plus another D-man.

9.New York Islanders- Get goalscoring from different sources and have one of best top four on D. Can Garth Snow carry them? Getting Yashin and Parrish back would help.

10.Los Angeles Kings- Possess one of the game's best scorers in Ziggy Palffy and a solid supporting cast. They continue to win despite no Allison or Deadmarsh. Plus top defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky and number one goalie Roman Cechmanek are out. Could use some better luck with injuries.

Hard Hits Tidbits

-Roberto Luongo ranks third in save percentage (.931). Imagine if he was on a contender. Is Bobby Clarke listening?

-Meanwhile, Habs' goalie Jose Theodore continues to keep his team in the playoff race with outstanding numbers: 14-13-4, 2.15 GAA, .924 Pct., 4 SO. He faces an average of 27.9 shots-per-game. There's no question he's back.

-Paging Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Where are you?

-Alexei Kovalev gets a double minor for high-sticking and the Blues score on both ends. But Kovalev never missed a shift. Makes sense in Ranger land.

-Whatever happened to the Dallas Stars?

Thanks dr. I enjoy putting them together. Sammy, I couldn't tell you what's wrong with Dallas. I know they're nowhere near what they used to be. I really think Nieuwy and DallasDev know what they're talking about with the g.m. Too much overhaul. It's very Ranger-esque.

Well from what I saw of them down there when I was there (they are just too brutal

to watch night in and night out).. there's still that zero leadership thing going on

down there... it's not just a "well Hatcher left thing" .. he's had too many crappy years

in Dallas to take that easy way out.. that team just lacks heart and guts and talent

alone ain't enough in the NHL... too many round pegs in square holes

it's a scary thought when Jason Arnott's been your most consistent forward... at

least this was true up till 3 weeks ago.....

but this is all stuff I've said 12 times on here :D

The Stars' demise is incredible to me, I mean last year they had the best record in the West and were maybe one late goal in that Game 6 against Anaheim away from at least getting to the Stanley Cup Finals and now they're a total disaster. The only major moves they made in the offseason were letting Hatcher go and trading Sydor for Numinnen, I think.

Derek, could use a playmaking center.... you mean another?  I think we need a center but not a playmaker.

Either way, the Devils could use a pivot. If you're looking at it from a face-off standpoint, fine. If you're looking at it from an offensive standpoint to give Elias and Friesen the kind of player that can boost scoring, that works too.

Good work, I may move Toronto ahead of NJ right now, they are playing some great hockey.

What NJ could use is a healthy roster, at the first of the year there was no room for 2 roster players, now we can't find enough of them.

Philly will never get Luongo, they arn't that smart, they already gave away a franchise goaltender in Ouellet for an ageing center.

Keep Turco. Keep Morrow. Everybody else, even Cap'n Mo, is expendable.

Same thing I'm thinking right now. I saw Morrow when they went done 6-0 last night and wow that guy works so hard for that time and it's so sad to see him have to go through all this. I think any team would love to have Morrow. The guy just works too damn hard to been on a team that doesn't give a sh!t. I am so fed up with that team. You know I should have been pissed and upset about the game last night but all I could do was laugh my arse off.

Hmmm . . . didn't they have that guy last year???  :P   Sorry - couldn't resist.

Regarding the Stars - they really are a huge mess.  I don't know where they should start to turn things around.  Maybe go back about 3 summers and undo those horrible signings and trades . . . but no, they can't do that.

Keep Turco.  Keep Morrow.  Everybody else, even Cap'n Mo, is expendable.  (I know, there are those blankety-blank no-trade-clauses.)  Mainly what they need is a HEART - they don't have one, and Army apparently doesn't recognize one when he sees one.

Ggrrrr.  I can't believe what has happened to my team.  :argh:

I agree with ya about Nieuwendyk. He's having a very good year for the Leafs.

I also agree with you about Dallas. I saw they blew another one-goal lead tonight. Time to gut the team. Keep Morrow, Lehtinen and Turco. Everyone else could go.

The chemistry isn't there. The leadership is there. I can't say that the players aren't playing with any heart, because I think that we have seen that already this season with them. But now you have a mix of players that are trying too hard, some that have no confidence, and even those who have lost all hope. But I don't think I have seen a stars team with all the leadership and chemistry since 99. 2000 it was still there but the guys were tired and Eddie brought them to the finals. Thats why i love the Devils. They have so much more than just a good team. They have the whole package.

Do I think that it's tippits fault? No, I don't think it is. These guys are just lost and can't find their way. Do I think its wrong to bench some of these players for periods at a time? HELL NO! I don't give care about who it is he benches. If you are not going to play, get the hell off that ice!! I don't know what more to say at this point. I am really just lost as what to do with this team. This is when I would say it's out of my hands and it's up to managment but thats what scares me the most lol!

They panned across the whole bench after that goal, and every face was just totally defeated. It hurt to watch.

(And I should have added Lehtinen to my "keeper" list - can't believe I left him off.)