Where are you from and what are you for?

sheeps

34 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you from and what are you for?

• Pro-CAA: Bergen or Passaic County
    • Pro-Newark: Bergen or Passaic County
    • Pro-CAA: Essex or Hudson County
    • Pro-Newark: Essex or Hudson County
    • Pro-CAA: Morris, Somerset, or Union County
    • Pro-Newark: Morris, Somerset, or Union County
    • Pro-CAA: Sussex, Warrendon, or Hunterdon County
    • Pro-Newark: Sussex, Warrendon, or Hunterdon County
    • Pro-CAA: Mercer, Middlesex, or Monmouth County; or South
    • Pro-Newark: Mercer, Middlesex, or Monmouth County; or South

This poll is showing a few things: first off, the Devils' fanbase is not concentrated in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, and Hudson counties, counties that have easy access to CAA. It is also 15-1 in favor of Newark outside those counties.

I just wish everybody was required to vote, could get interesting results...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't vote 'cuz ya got nothin' for me in the sticks here!!! I also can't 'cuz I'm wishy-washy and I'm just gonna go wherever I have to to see them. I'm not pro-either of them. I'm just pro-Jersey! I hate to say pro-CAA 'cuz I hate agreeing even the teensiest bit with Stubbs at this point, believe me, with every fiber of my being, I hate it! :puke: It would be more convenient for me, I guess. BUT, big BUT, I am not opposed in any way to Newark. I haven't got any prejudices against the city, people there, OR mini-van driving Moms!!!!! :argh:

That's me trying my best not to go off on that snooty little @#$%@!

Just one little thing...Did you mean Warren County?

Edited by poohbear

Poohbear, seeing as you're coming from the same direction as people in Warren County would be, you can vote from there. As for the difference between Newark and CAA, for you I think they're pretty much 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Newark is prolly closer straight line distance to you, but not by much. Its really more a question of which location you prefer.

Well, I did live in Warren till I moved over here. Also lived in Morris, Union, and Somerset also. Oh, and I did some time in Hunterdon, too. NOT THAT KINDA TIME!!! :P

Well, if it's six of one and half-dozen of the other, then I'd say Newark! It would be my pleasure to disagree with Stubbs!!!!! :evil:

And hanging around Newark until a 7:30 game is a commitment too.

Perhaps Lou could give some consideration to starting games at 7:00 should the move to Newark become a reality?

I just wish everybody was required to vote, could get interesting results...

If you did that, you'd have to have an option (actually, two) for people who don't live in New Jersey.

You know djstubbs, I think you have made your position pretty clear. I know you are young and all, but it gets to be so tiring reading your posts. Since you don't even drive yet probably, why do you care what the drive is, and what neighborhoods you might have to pass thru. Perhaps you might take a train there instead if that is your worry. Oh, thats right you are too good to take a train.

Don't bother responding to my post, you've made my ignore list.

What an honor it is to be an your ignore list, wow, never thought someone could miss my most recent post, considering its right above where they posted.

And you guys thought I was lazy. :argh:

All right, I'm not going to respond to anything in this thread, but I don't think my opinion is so important that it needs a new thread, too, so I'm going to lay out my opinion here. I'm not all that informed and I only have a few minutes before class, so here goes.

I think that neither arena location is close to ideal. The layout of New Jersey and the fact that we're dealing with a vast minority of fans who no matter where the arena is placed, will be an hour's or more drive from it.

The problem with CAA is that it is completely lifeless. From the surroundings to the crowd to the architecture, the place does not feel like an NHL arena. It just doesn't. That t-shirt slingshot gets more of a reaction than a good scoring chance.

Could a refurbished CAA work? I know that Lou has said that's not possible, but Lou's going to say that even if it was possible. I'm not so sure it could. A rail line from Secaucus Transfer would be a nice addition, but since most fans drive to the game anyway, I don't see a new set of fans being served by such a link. And we need more fans, that's the bottom line. This club's attendance is a joke. We all know the reasons. I know even if I had the money, I wouldn't be a season ticket holder. I've been to too many games where the crowd is just dead.

Now the problem with Newark is that our already precarious season ticket holders may not be able or desire to go to an arena in Newark. So if the team is serious about this, they'll survey their own season ticket holders. I have a feeling that Chambers et. al have no desire to know this number. They would much rather sell the concept that ND5 has been selling, that somehow the train and closer proximity to Central Jersey will increase attendance, and it makes for a good sell to people who aren't going to consider the details of transportation, and all of these matters.

Bottom line, I don't see a Newark arena working that much better than the current setup. As msweet says, being a season ticket holder is a commitment. And hanging around Newark until a 7:30 game is a commitment too. I think there'll be more walkup at Newark, but I also think that if there's the same kind of situation at CAA at Newark, that corporations won't be so willing to purchase tickets and luxury boxes.

This is my opinion. Since all me, sheeps, msweet, and ND5 have to offer is conjecture, I'd prefer that my own conjectures not be 'refuted' or 'objected to' by other conjectures, but facts, or illustrative examples.

That was well thought, and had some good ideas in it.

Thanks for contributing, mainly because there was no bias.... :D

Again, comparing a New Jersey arena to MSG is foolish. Comparing it to the Fleet Center or the MCI Center makes sense. Newark as it stands does not compare with the size of New York City, but it certainly has what it takes to be put into sentences with the likes of Boston, Buffalo, Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta, Detroit, and others.

Again, comparing a New Jersey arena to MSG is foolish. Comparing it to the Fleet Center or the MCI Center makes sense. Newark as it stands does not compare with the size of New York City, but it certainly has what it takes to be put into sentences with the likes of Boston, Buffalo, Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta, Detroit, and others.

Take Boston, Detroit, and Washington out of there and you just might have a point.

Perhaps Lou could give some consideration to starting games at 7:00 should the move to Newark become a reality?

Lou spoke of this at a breakfast meeting last year before the season.

He WANTS 7:00, he said it is because of traffic on the NJ Turnpike the games are at 7:30.

My feeling is they will be at 7 PM WHEN they move to Newark :pray:

Take Boston, Detroit, and Washington out of there and you just might have a point.

Within 35 miles of the center of Newark, just on the New Jersey side of the Hudson, there are over 5 million people. There are 17 Fortune 500 companies in that area. 2 of them are in Downtown Newark itself. That is more than you can say for any of the other cities I mentioned. In the 24 square miles of the city of Newark itself you have the busiest seaport on the East Coast and second busiest in the country, as well as the busiest airport in the Tri-State Area. You have some 97 buildings in Newark considered by skyscrapers.com to be skyscrapers and another 77 in Jersey City. There are 187 of these in Boston, and 169 in Detroit. Buffalo's got 56.

The thing I like about Newark is that I have moved to Philly and being able to hop an Amtrak from Philly to Newark is cheap and simple. I would actually get a package of tickets and go up. Right now, The drive is ridiculous and impossible after a few beers. Just my 2 cents.