Bergen chief knocks Nets, Devils

Rock

Bergen chief knocks Nets, Devils

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

By SHANNON D. HARRINGTON

STAFF WRITER

Plans to move New Jersey's professional basketball and hockey teams out of Continental Arena will hurt Meadowlands-area businesses, Bergen County Executive Dennis McNerney said Tuesday.

And he threatened to sue the two professional sports leagues that would have to sign off on the moves.

"I think the teams are just leveraging one area against the other ... in hopes of getting the best deals for the owners," McNerney said Tuesday after issuing a news release that threatened legal action against the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League.

The NBA's Nets were sold last month to a Brooklyn developer who wants to move the team to a proposed arena in Brooklyn.

And the NHL's Devils signed a letter of intent last week to move to an arena that Newark officials want to build in their downtown.

Officials in Trenton and Bergen County are skeptical those arenas will ever be built. But declining fan loyalty for the potentially lame-duck teams will hurt Meadowlands-area businesses that thrive on game traffic, McNerney said.

The Democrat also said he is concerned about how the news will affect proposals to bring rail service to the Meadowlands. The rail service is being pushed as part of a planned $1 billion shopping and entertainment complex being built around Continental Arena.

McNerney called the Brooklyn and Newark arena plans "a hoax" that will never happen, adding that the NBA and NHL were "perpetuating" the "hoax" by remaining silent. He said he has asked county attorneys to research the possibility of filing a lawsuit against the two sports leagues to recoup sports-generated tax revenues that could be lost.

"Many businesses around Continental Arena, such as hotels and restaurants, will lose revenue as fans refuse to come out and support the Nets and Devils," McNerney said in his written statement.

A spokeswoman for the NHL declined comment Tuesday. NBA spokesman Tim Frank said it would be premature to comment on legal action that is only being considered.

Officials from the Nets and Devils could not be immediately reached for comment Tuesday.

McNerney acknowledged that he was not sure what legal grounds he would have for a lawsuit.

The president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority - which owns Continental Arena - said through a spokesman that he would support McNerney.

"We've been putting up with corporate greed long enough," the official, George Zoffinger, said.

(Talk about frivilous lawsuits.) :rolleyes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy has been breathing toxic fumes too long. What area business? You don't pass a darn thing on the way to the Meadowlands. :noclue: There is nothing, nada, zip, zilch. You can't even find a restaurant anywhere near the place. The guy is hallucinating. The only road that has anything in Moonachie Road and the guards won't even let you onto that road until a good 20-30 after the game ends.

Meadowlands and Bergen County suck. :P

This guy has been breathing toxic fumes too long. What area business? You don't pass a darn thing on the way to the Meadowlands. :noclue: There is nothing, nada, zip, zilch. You can't even find a restaurant anywhere near the place. The guy is hallucinating. The only road that has anything in Moonachie Road and the guards won't even let you onto that road until a good 20-30 after the game ends.

Meadowlands and Bergen County suck. :P

Meadowlands and Bergen County suck.

Just shut up.... :rant:

This guy has been breathing toxic fumes too long.  What area business?  You don't pass a darn thing on the way to the Meadowlands.  :noclue:   There is nothing, nada, zip, zilch.  You can't even find a restaurant anywhere near the place.  The guy is hallucinating.  The only road that has anything in Moonachie Road and the guards won't even let you onto that road until a good 20-30 after the game ends. 

Meadowlands and Bergen County suck.  :P

Meadowlands and Bergen County suck.

Just shut up.... :rant:

You've said as much about Newark, the shore, Essex County, and the rest of New Jersey, Stubbs. Why should you expect any better treatment for your home when you disrespect everyone else's?

:rolleyes:

Stubbs youre obviously not willing to support the Devils in Newark and that entire idea because you just want everything to be nice and convinient for YOU. This entire Newark idea is more convinient for the better percentage of the fans so stop being greedy. I understand this can upset you, but as you get older you will realize that we all have to compromise sh!t to other people in life.

Stubbs youre obviously not willing to support the Devils in Newark and that entire idea because you just want everything to be nice and convinient for YOU. This entire Newark idea is more convinient for the better percentage of the fans so stop being greedy. I understand this can upset you, but as you get older you will realize that we all have to compromise sh!t to other people in life.

This isn't about compromise...

Its about DEMISE...

Which is what will happen to the Devils if they move to Newark!

:rant:

Stubbs, why should I believe that any more than the street preacher with "THE WORLD IS ENDING!" written on a piece of cardboard?

Take it for what it is...

I feel this topic has been overdone...

Lets just wait and see what happens...

Let me enjoy my last few years at CAA...

I'll be in college by the time 2007 comes around, so regardless of the Devils location, I'll be somewhere else, so I'll wait and see, because this doesn't really effect ME right now.