Proving that he belongs

Rock

Proving that he belongs

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=00&f=1

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

By DAN ROSEN

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE - Midway through the second period of Sunday's game against Calgary, a bouncing puck came to Devils' defenseman Paul Martin, who was stationed alongside the neutral zone boards.

Martin calmly settled the puck as a pair of Flames rushed toward him. He put it on his stick and sent a cross-ice pass away from the danger zone, starting what turned into a failed Devils' rush.

Harmless, right? Well, yes, in the grand scheme of things. However, it's how Martin played the puck that matters to the Devils, who have seen one of their two rookie defensemen develop rapidly in the absence of their leader, Scott Stevens.

Forty-nine games into his NHL career, Martin is only trying to do the little things, but he's handled himself so much like a veteran that more and more responsibility has been heaped on him.

"His poise stands out to me more than anything," acting captain Scott Niedermayer said. "He's got patience, and he's aware. You're always getting pressed and teams are trapping. You have to make a quick decision, and he's doing that."

That harmless play Sunday was the perfect example of what Martin has brought to the Devils: simple, but effective playmaking.

He settled the puck with poise, with his head up despite knowing the two defenders were coming at him. He didn't try to make a fancy play, instead going for the simple pass. He wasn't flustered. He was graceful.

"As you go along you pick up on what works and what doesn't work, like you learn that you can't put the puck in the middle," said Martin, who turns 23 on March 5. "We have guys who make big plays. It's up to us to make the smart plays to get them the puck."

When Martin started his NHL career in October, he admitted the game was too fast for him. He had come straight to the Devils from the University of Minnesota, but even high level Division I hockey doesn't compare to the speed of the NHL.

He barely had time to acclimate himself as the Devils immediately put Martin and fellow rookie David Hale in the lineup. They were thrown to the wolves to see what they're made of.

"You want to know what he can and can't do come playoff time," defenseman Brian Rafalski said. "That's what the regular season is all about."

Both have answered the call, but Martin has shown signs lately he's no longer a rookie even though his NHL biography says so.

Martin has four goals and 10 assists to go along with his plus-4 rating. He's playing the point on the power play, something he learned only late in his collegiate career, and he's killing penalties.

Martin is also averaging more than 19 minutes of ice time per game. Only Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Colin White skate more.

"You always think you can do more, but it's still my first year," Martin said. "I'm more patient playing defense, and trying to minimize the mistakes instead of trying to make things happen. I'm getting more and more used to everything."

DEVILS BRIEFS: Martin Brodeur is going for his 30th victory of the season tonight against Buffalo, which would give the veteran goalie an NHL record nine straight 30-win seasons. Only Brodeur and his boyhood idol Patrick Roy have eight. "This is one that I'm really excited about," Brodeur said. "It stands for durability and success." ... Left wing Christian Berglund (abdominal surgery) practiced with the team Tuesday, but coach Pat Burns said it's unlikely he will return any time soon. Burns said Berglund struggled with some drills, and "it's too crucial at this point to take chances on guys."

I wouldnt say that Martin has Developed faster then Hale, just differently, Martins development means that we are seeing him more and more on the scoresheet, or making plays that start rushes. Hes just a more visable player. Hale you dont notice out there most nights and thats a good thing, he may take a little while longer given his style of play, but when he does develop watch out, hes gunna be a force patrolling the blue line. Both these guys are the keys to the future defense, and there is such a small chance that either goes anywhere before UFA age.

I don't think that's the point at all.

Perhaps Martin is developing quicker, but he's also been given more of an opportunity than Hale... Hale has been in and out of the lineup, whereas Martin has been a mainstay on the D-line for some time now. Granted, some of that is because he's been playing better hockey this season, but he was also more of a commodity to the Devils than Hale was earlier on... the Devils had Hale, Brown, and Albelin to rotate in and out as more "stay at home" d-men.

Hale is going to be a hell of a player once he starts to put it all together at the NHL level... there are reasons why he's been called the Devils' next Scott Stevens.

calling him the devils next scott stevens i mean god that's kind of unfair to the kid.

martin's instincts are incredible i remember seeing the NCAA frozen four championship game highlights where he made a last second diving save with his stick. And being blown away. This article's point is that Martin is progressing faster than expected, and is being given greater responsibility because of it. Hale is responding to increased responsibility as well but so far not as well as Martin.

Personally i think both have done quite well this season, in a huge trial by fire. Lou seems to have made the correct decision.

Perhaps Martin is developing quicker, but he's also been given more of an opportunity than Hale... Hale has been in and out of the lineup, whereas Martin has been a mainstay on the D-line for some time now. Granted, some of that is because he's been playing better hockey this season, but he was also more of a commodity to the Devils than Hale was earlier on... the Devils had Hale, Brown, and Albelin to rotate in and out as more "stay at home" d-men.

Hale is going to be a hell of a player once he starts to put it all together at the NHL level... there are reasons why he's been called the Devils' next Scott Stevens.

I think Madden is the next #4...

He skates like him and has that attitude.

I don't think a forward can intimidate like Stevens can. I mean, Bertuzzi is one tough SOB but as a forward he doesn't get as many opportunities to lay a guy out. So I think the next Stevens has to be a defenseman, just like the next Gretzky has to be a forward, and the next Coffey has to be a defenseman, etc..

-Scott

I don't think Madden can really be the next Stevens because ususally when you're following in the same footsteps as a player, you at least play the same position as them, you know?

Also, I think forwards and defensemen show a different kind of attitude, one look into Stevens' eyes and you see hunger, you see a fire burning like no other. You don't see that often in the eyes of a forward...then again, you don't often see that in the eyes of many players, anyways...heh...

There never will be another Scott Stevens. To label Hale as the next Stevens is a huge weight to put on the kids shoulders.

I have liked what I've seen from him this year and I do think he will be a vital part of this team in the coming years but to label him as the next Stevens is ridiculous.

Reminds me of another guy I heard about all last summer. The next Roy/Broduer. Whats his name again? Oh yea.....the flash in the pan Jiggy.

Only time will tell how good Hale is going to be but from my outlook there will only be one #4.

Yeesh, it's not a literal comparison.

Hale has been compared to Stevens in that he dished out big hits without often risking his positioning, he's fierce in his own goalie crease, and he has shown excellent leadership skills both on and off the ice -- not to mention his determination to hockey.

By no means am I expecting Hale to fill the void that will eventually be left by Stevens, but I do hope that he will develop into a mean sonouvabitch on the blueline that makes forwards think twice before trying to get fancy in the Devils' d-zone or make runs at the goalie.

I don't think Madden can really be the next Stevens because ususally when you're following in the same footsteps as a player, you at least play the same position as them, you know?

Also, I think forwards and defensemen show a different kind of attitude, one look into Stevens' eyes and you see hunger, you see a fire burning like no other. You don't see that often in the eyes of a forward...then again, you don't often see that in the eyes of many players, anyways...heh...

I realize they play different positions, but when I see Madden on the ice, there is just something that makes me think: Stevens in training...

No need to make me look stupid, I know Maddens a center.

I just thought that Madden kind of has the same presence, although not half as intimidating.

yeah madden seems to have stevens's leadership skills, and raw determination. I agree Stubbs he seems similar to Stevens in these respects.

Unfortunatly he doesn't initimidate like Stevens does, just shuts them down like stevens does.

i can't believe there was a madden bashing thread earlier. how dare you all. After last years playoffs he is infallible.