New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Jesus Wilmer lol...at least it's nice to have a professional DP combination this year.  You know if that was Murphy/Flores that'd be one out at MOST.

And not for nothing but if it was TDA behind the plate Robles probably would have had two wild pitches in the eighth inning.

Yikes...very shaky D by Wilmer today.  Nice job by the Mets to get it done.

Re:  TDA, Fat Stammer had Eddie C on (the only reason that I bother with his awful show), and Eddie and Fatty touched on the fact that TDA's defense is bad enough that, if Plaw hits just enough, TDA might find himself out of a job.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  TDA, Fat Stammer had Eddie C on (the only reason that I bother with his awful show), and Eddie and Fatty touched on the fact that TDA's defense is bad enough that, if Plaw hits just enough, TDA might find himself out of a job.  

lol the sad part is because the Mets moved off WFAN they literally put WFAN in the dark for any radio apperances at all.  Eddie C's basically it for WFAN and Adam Rubin for ESPN, you don't get the players on any of the other stations besides 710, which nobody listens to anyway other than when the Mets are on, or maybe for politics if Rush/Hannity are still on there.

Joe and Evan talk a fair amount of Met baseball.  Boomer and Carton do too...of course, Carton does it in an annoying way.  I listen to B&C on the way to work...only catch Joe and Evan if I happen to eat lunch in my car (once every couple weeks or so).  I find Fatso and his inability to form sentences without the constant stammering, "uhhhhhhhhhhh"s and "I mean"s impossible to take now, even when he's talking about the Mets.  

Last year by the time we'd won 8 in a row early on people were going into hysterics...this year it's ho-hum expected and not even big news.

Francesa's constant destroying and demeaning of the Mets probably had something to do with their departure, and also WFAN, in their brilliant wisdom, decided that the Mets were no longer worth it and a losing proposition just as they were on the precipice of turning the corner as a franchise...now they're saddled with a decaying Yankee team (though I'm sure they'll go balls to the wall trying to turn it around ASAP this offseason)

WFAN is still very much a Mets station even during this Mets blackout. The majority of the baseball talk is Mets oriented. I'd say 60-40 something like that.

NY Sports is strange in that some say the Jets will never wrestle the city away from NYG nomatter how well they do in the future. That the Islanders couldn't win the area from the Rags even in the midst of 4 Cup runs (and yea they are/were more suburban) that even we had a hell of a time even winning the Jersey suburbs from the Rags. And that the Nets will never even touch the Knicks in any regard. But the Mets have and are capable of taking NYC from the Yankees.

Edited by '7'

I think WFAN just booted the Mets off actually cause they were in a down stretch, the Yankees were the glamour team and they had a chance to get them instead.  It was purely a business decision.  Francesa isn't even anti-Mets the way he's anti-Jets.

And yeah it's fortunate a lot of the hosts are Met fans like Benigno/Roberts/Boomer and Francesa only knows how to talk about two sports (besides horse racing) so you do get a lot of Mets talk per se, just not interviews WITH Mets and Met personnel.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Mets kinda blew it with the WFAN.  Losing that station hurt.  They never should've allowed that to happen.

Mets definitely owned the town for a while during that 80s-90s run, even though it only resulted in two division titles and one World Series championship (and that was their only Series appearance during that competitive stretch, as we all know).  Yankees grabbed it and have kept it since Jeter arrived.  NY is up for grabs again...but that Yankee run was so unique because you had more than one career Yankee, and they were there for multiple championships.  I don't know if we'll ever see that here...those Yankees were special.  I think we have a nice window here, but I don't think it's going to be this ultra-long term thing...if it last five years, I'll be stunned.

One thing that may tilt the scales to the Mets (or at least neutral) for a long period of time is the fact that George isn't around anymore and the luxury tax which has hampered the Yankees spending ability. They're just not able to run away with things financially like before. While the Steinbrenner kids do want to win and protect the brand...it's just generally not the same. I don't think they'll ever be what they were. They'll have some "load up and go for it" years, and some middling years. They won't ever be bad but they will likely never be the dominant monolith they were from 1994-2012

Re:  the 8-game winning streak and being "ho-hum"...they're always impressive and I think fans still realize how streaks like that are hard to come by, even with good teams....but I think this year it's almost felt like was necessary, with the Nationals also starting strong...more like some of the focus has been on the opposition (and the Phillies being hot at the moment adds to it).  But it was a nice early-season feat to turn a 2-5 start into a 15-7 April...again, TC did a nice job waking his team up when he needed to.   I would've taken an April a little over .500 under the circumstances, but we've gotten a 13-2 rampage instead.  

Feels like one of those "inevitable loss" kind of games.  Meh, not going to win them all.  

Yet another "not deep" effort from a Mets starting pitcher.  They've gotten away with it for now, but this is getting to be ridiculous.  Stop making the bullpen account for 9+ outs seemingly every game.  They're going to wear down.

Absurd strike 3 there to Cabrera by the ump. And that wasn't called all day. All of a sudden he wants to help the Giants

Bases loaded and 2 out in a critical spot. Awful job ump

Edited by '7'

Cabrera got fvcked on that call.  fvck you ump.  Guess someone wants to go home early.

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yet another "not deep" effort from a Mets starting pitcher.  They've gotten away with it for now, but this is getting to be ridiculous.  Stop making the bullpen account for 9+ outs seemingly every game.  They're going to wear down.

Thor never seemed overly dominant from the beginning. The Giants were very much "on" his pitches and it was only a matter off time until they broke through. And you have to give them credit, they are a scrappy team of good, annoying hitters. Very tough to sweep. These are not the Braves.

You spoke about Matz and the growing pains he's bound to experience...well Syndergaard is in that boat as well. Despite how utterly dominant he can look at times...still only 23, this is still only his 29th big league start.

Baseball is just so damn delay and review prone. Giants challenged Pence at first early, now Bochy/Pence are bitching that ball may have grazed a fan. Delay...review...delay...review

I'm fine with reviewing HR's but everything else is just annoying the hell out of me.

Edited by '7'

44 minutes ago, '7' said:

Thor never seemed overly dominant from the beginning. The Giants were very much "on" his pitches and it was only a matter off time until they broke through. And you have to give them credit, they are a scrappy team of good, annoying hitters. Very tough to sweep. These are not the Braves.

You spoke about Matz and the growing pains he's bound to experience...well Syndergaard is in that boat as well. Despite how utterly dominant he can look at times...still only 23, this is still only his 29th big league start.

I agree with all of the above (the Giants were likely to break through eventually), but growing pains or not, at some point one of these starting pitchers is going to have to account for more than 15-18 outs.  They can't keep struggling to finish six innings.  This pen is likely already starting to feel gassed. 

And not going to make a big deal out of one loss after seeing the Mets win 13 out of 15, but I do wish this team didn't seem to be so live-and-die with the home run ball.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Binghamton's Gsellman made his fifth start for AA Binghamton this season and had one of those mixed-bag kind of outings...went 5 IP and didn't allow an earned run, but allowed three unearned runs and threw 93 pitches (56 strikes)...seems like every starter in the Met organization is throwing a lot of pitches these days.  Still off to a good start in AA though. 

His overall AA numbers (last season and this one) aren't bad for a 22-year-old:  21 starts, 122 IP, 107 H, 42 ER, 5 HR, 37 BB, 74 K (his K rate has been better this season, due to better velocity), 3.10 ERA.  And it's not like everyone in Vegas has a rotation spot locked up...another month of solid pitching and Gsellman could find himself knocking one of those guys out of a spot.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'll just go ahead and say it.

The balls are juiced. The MLB saw where things were going last year with declining offense and they went back to whatever they were doing with the balls post 1994 strike.

The Duda HR would always be a HR but in past years in this ballpark...the Wright and Ces homeruns would be doubles.

Eh this guy for the Braves looks like he doesn't belong in the big leagues, it reminds me of the scrub we battered around in the John Maine near no-hitter.  

And they have tweaked the dimensions at Citi multiple times to the point where it's pretty much neutral as opposed to the hitter graveyard it was several years ago.