GDT - Devils @ Canadiens 12/14/17

NJDfan1711

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember MacLean being traded was a big deal.  Same thing with Terreri the first time around.

McKay as being part of the Arnott for Langs and Nieuwendyk trade is also up there.

Same with Mike Peluso to an extent.

MacLean requested a trade and was being a jerk about things. Then he signed with the Rags. Then he came back here and was a terrible assistant coach, a terrible head coach, and a terrible TV guy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, '7' said:

MacLean requested a trade and was being a jerk about things. Then he signed with the Rags. Then he came back here and was a terrible assistant coach, a terrible head coach, and a terrible TV guy.

Still was not easy seeing him leave even under the circumstances.  I also really don't care he signed with the Rags, it is not like the Devils were interested in bringing him back anyways and he spurned an offer from us.

He was a decent assistant coach.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Still was not easy seeing him leave even under the circumstances.  I also really don't care he signed with the Rags, it is not like the Devils were interested in bringing him back anyways and he spurned an offer from us.

He was a decent assistant coach.

It made sense for him to sign with the Rags since his entire life was pretty much here...still hated seeing it. He became dead to a lot of us like Driver. Nowadays when Drivers name is announced it's Bruuuuuce. But for a lot of years those were legit boo's.

15 hours ago, devlman said:

But fvck, we have two guys pinning one Hab, and Coleman decides to abandon his position and come over?! fvck me..

I felt he should have, the puck was there for the taking with the other two pinning the Hab on the boards. As we all saw, that Hab wasn't pinned enough and was able to touch the puck out.

Frustrating, yes. But I feel it was more a good play by him then a bad move with our boys

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Also, just thinking about this, the last time the Devils traded a forward as good or better than Adam Henrique who they drafted and who played here as long or longer - I think it was Petr Sykora.

Like others have mentioned...John MacLean (he was a bit before your time, in that obviously you saw him play here, but missed his early and prime years).  When he announced in a pre-game show that he asked Lou to trade him, it really bummed me out...I kept hoping that somehow it would all work out, and that he'd have a change of heart and accept his new role (as more of a checker).   

If you're making Henrique comparisons, there's Kirk Muller too.  On that one, I was fine with it...Richer could really be dynamic back then and was fully in his prime, and I was thinking "Damn, two-time 50-goal scorer, on the DEVILS!"...and the feeling at the time of the deal was that Chorske could turn out to be a lot more than just a throw in...Lou liked his speed a lot.  Chorske had a terrific start here (12 points in his first 13 games), and I remember thinking what a steal that deal might turn it out to be...of course, Chorske would never turn out to be that kind of offensive force, due to his stone hands.  Turned out to be a good deal for both teams, though the Devils got much more out of Chorske than the Canadiens got from Melanson. 

sh!t happens of course, but it sucked that MacLean tore his ACL in a fvcking PRESEASON game.  To this day I think he had a shot at 50 goals that year...he was shredding it in preseason and just seemed like he was in a zone...that 1991-92 team really could've done some damage that season, with Mac in the fold. 

But yeah, to answer the question of the most recent guy before Henrique, pretty sure it's Sykora. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sykora got a raw deal heading out the door. Guy could barely move out there in the 02 playoffs vs the Hurricanes. Then criticized for a supposed lack of toughness before being traded. The trade itself was a good one for us but Sykora had done enough for the team at that point where he deserved nothing but respect.

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

Sykora got a raw deal heading out the door. Guy could barely move out there in the 02 playoffs vs the Hurricanes. Then criticized for a supposed lack of toughness before being traded. The trade itself was a good one for us but Sykora had done enough for the team at that point where he deserved nothing but respect.

The team needed a jolt...something was severely off with that 2001-02 team, and Sykora has become invisible for games at a time that year.  That felt like a deal where two guys in Friesen and Sykora could benefit from a change of scenery.

Of course, the killer was that, while Sykora was quietly not bad for several seasons following the 2002-03 season, Friesen basically completely vanished...he was toast in the NHL by the time he was 30.