Formal Ticket Policy Re: 1/8 vs. Lightning

bdubdevs

Some of this comes down to the issue of second-party sales.

Aren't there some franchises (like the Patriots), that check ID's on tickets at the game, or revoke ST's tickets and deposits if they discover you've sold said ticket by means other than their own resale outlet?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tickets were more expensive, I could see the Devils getting sued over this.

You make an interesting point. I would hate to see that happen but I would not be surprised to see it happen. I am one of the people that got there tickets from a second hand party and I do feel I should be entitled to the free game since I am the one who was inconvenienced, not the season ticket holder who sold his/her tickets. If I am SOL then I am SOL, I wouldn't take it so far to sue my favorite team. But sadly, somebody might.

It's not a reimbursement because you were eligible to see that entire game. This is a freebie given by the team that they are in no way obligated to give.

It's a make up game for the people who attendedthe game, why would you argue such a stupid semantics point? The intended recipients are clearly specified in the first paragraph right there in black and white on their statement about the make up game. They just went on to totally drop the ball after words on how they tried to implement it.

The New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center sincerely apologize for any and all inconveniences incurred by ticket holders of the postponed game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Ticket holders for the postponed game on Friday, January 8 are entitled to a free ticket for a future Devils game based on availability.

Ticket holders. Not people who sold their tickets. People who had tickets to the game.

The Devils also clearly feel that the person who bought the ticket should receive the "freebie"

*If a season ticket holder sold their tickets on TicketExchange the buyer of the ticket will receive the free ticket, not the season ticket holder.

So you can't even argue that it's a "freebie" for STH's when those who sold on the exchange will get nothing despite that being the preferred way. I have no idea why the Devils would fvck this up so hardcore, it's such an easy fix. My guess is someone started coming up with a way to do this, they all agreed on a model and then another guy at the end went "oh sh!t, what about people who bought tickets from STH's?" and rather then come up with a better solution they made a stupid footnote.

I just can't understand how they operate.

I sent them an e-mail last night. In it, I included that me, jamie, and a friend of mine paid for food, drinks, dinner, gas, tolls, and parking twice. We didn't pay for parking at all. We always get a spot by the Arena Lounge... but still. I know people that paid for parking twice because the team did NOT announce how parking was going to be handled. So I included that anyway because they need to know how they messed up.

They e-mail me back this morning and addressed NOTHING I said in the e-mail other than "The Devils worked with the parking lots in order to offer free parking to those who presented their receipts from Friday."

So I am going to e-mail back AGAIN. They took my bait. They didn't say how parking was going to work.

Here's the communication with the fans:

Friday:

8 something PM: Lights go out

15 minutes later: Kevin Clark says players will return to locker room til all lights come back on.

TWO HOURS OF NOTHING

Around 10pm: Game has been postponed. Look for details on NJDevils.com for make up date.

That's the first night of screw ups for them. I don't blame them for the lights obviously but the way they handled it.

----------------

Saturday:

The news that the game would be played Sunday and that tickets from Friday would be honored. NO INFO ON PARKING. And they have the audacity to charge FULL PRICE for a ticket for someone that wants to watch 29 minutes of hockey.

----------------

Sunday: NO NEWS ON PARKING. The only way people knew what to do was to go on TG's blog to find out. And not every Devils fan knows to jump on the internet and check his blog. Thank god for him... anyone that complains about him is just stupid.

At the game Sunday: No news of any sort from Kevin Clark. A thank you to the fans and an offer to sit in the lower level for the last period. It was the right thing to do. But thank you to them for waiting til there was 1 minute left in the intermission to make sure people had to sprint downstairs if they didn't want to miss any of the game. It was like a bum rush.

----------------

Monday: No news.

----------------

Tuesday: this crappy ticket plan. Season ticket holders will be getting free tickets to a game they cannot choose and to a game they obviously already have tickets for. If you bought on Stub Hub, you're screwed. Can you even get in touch with the person you bought from? People who bought directly from STH that couldn't attend or something now have to fight them for the tickets.

This organization is embarrassing.

so i bought a ticket to this game from a STH. I just emailed him to see if there is any way I can get one of the free tickets he gets (he has 4 ST's). If he says no I move on. If he says yes then great. That's it.

The Devils play an announcement outside the Rock on a loop warning about buying tickets and Devils merchandise from other sources besides the box office or Devils Den as they can not verify the authenticity. If you bought a ticket from stubhub or got it off a guy on CL and can not get a ticket to the freebie game than tough luck and file it under "buyer beware."

Edit:

I just got this response from the guy:

absolutely - as soon as I get some more info regarding the game we're getting and whatnot I'll let you know.

I also have a bunch of other games that I have an extra for anyways so if the one they choose isn't good for you I can toss you one of them

Originally Posted by funetiklee:

So any way I can get my hands on one of the free tickets you get for the tampa game's lighting fiasco?

Edited by funetiklee

It's a make up game for the people who attendedthe game, why would you argue such a stupid semantics point? The intended recipients are clearly specified in the first paragraph right there in black and white on their statement about the make up game. They just went on to totally drop the ball after words on how they tried to implement it.

So the people who were picking up all the dropped ticket stubs at the game should now get 30 free tickets for the 1 game they attended? No solution was perfect, this one is about as good as it gets. You wanted to argue the legality of all of this and the Devils legally don't owe anyone the extra ticket so the team can decide how to give them out as they see best.

What I imagine the reality is, is that a person can call the Devils and complain they were at the game and bought tickets from a season ticket holder. The team would tell you to contact the STH. If the STH won't pass through the tickets to you the team and you come back to the team to say you're unhappy with that result then you and the STH will probably end up with extra tickets.

What I imagine the reality is, is that a person can call the Devils and complain they were at the game and bought tickets from a season ticket holder. The team would tell you to contact the STH. If the STH won't pass through the tickets to you the team and you come back to the team to say you're unhappy with that result then you and the STH will probably end up with extra tickets.

In the end, this is probably the most likely solution. If you are one of those who bought tickets from an outside source and are looking for a free game, just complain enough to the organization and you'll get it. What's that they about squeaky wheels and such?

In he end, no solution the Devils can offer will fully satisfy everybody. And, as 731 said, the Devils don't really owe you anything. You got the oppurtinity to see the makeup game for free, with free parking if I remember correctly. Someone mentioned baseball, and when baseball is rained out, they let you see the makeup game. The free game is just an extra perk the Devils are including for the benefit of the fans.

Also, as someone who used to post alot on Stubhub, I'm pretty most people will be able to get the free game from the STH anyhow, just like funetiklee did. Remember, most of the people who sell on there are fans too and would want the same courtesy in return. The only people who may really be stuck are those who bought from brokers but I imagine if you raise enough hell with the Devils, they would just gave you a freebie to keep you satisifed.

Imagine, though, if this happened during a divisional game...now, THAT would be messy...

while it sucks that this happened, the amount of indignation over this is absolutely astounding - you were at a 3-0 game where the devils were nearly a lock to lose and you nearly a lock to go home with 10 minutes left in the 3rd, now a lighting problem crops up and unfortunately the game is postponed - now you want your pick of games?

couldn't i also just print out a stubhub ticket several times and give it to several people? how are they ever going to confirm who did and did not actually go to the game? do you expect them to have a checklist of every seat in the house in order to catch people with duplicate tickets?

this is not the most just way of doing things, but unfortunately it is the way that makes the most sense.

Edited by Triumph

couldn't i also just print out a stubhub ticket several times and give it to several people? how are they ever going to confirm who did and did not actually go to the game? do you expect them to have a checklist of every seat in the house in order to catch people with duplicate tickets?

this is not the most just way of doing things, but unfortunately it is the way that makes the most sense.

No. The tickets have a unique barcode, so they would be able to scan them in as they exchanged them. This would take care of the duplicate problem.

No. The tickets have a unique barcode, so they would be able to scan them in as they exchanged them. This would take care of the duplicate problem.

But it doesn't take care of the people who were picking up discarded ticket stubs at the game. If you're a season ticket holder would you be happy with the solution that says you don't the freebie because you lost your ticket stub when you're clearly the STH and you know you attended the game?

You're so funny...if you do not see how the policy is flawed, then you are not very intelligent.

Man, I'm just busting your chops... you'd think the :giggle: would have made that clear.

It would appear that the Devils made the wrong move here, but the way you're acting you're making it sound like Lou shot your dog on top of it all. No amount of whining on an Internet message board is going to change their decision. Take it up with them, not us.

Man, I'm just busting your chops... you'd think the :giggle: would have made that clear.

It would appear that the Devils made the wrong move here, but the way you're acting you're making it sound like Lou shot your dog on top of it all. No amount of whining on an Internet message board is going to change their decision. Take it up with them, not us.

It's just terrible and there are some idiots on here saying that I don't "deserve" the free tickets. With the barcodes, if a regular ticket does not have it, nobody could try to get a free ticket for that as well being there is only one copy of the physical ticket. The only tickets were this would be an issue are the paper tickets. But all paper tickets would still have the barcode so it is a non issue. Devils failing the consumers again.

Devils giving people free tickets that they don't have to is not failing the consumer again. I'm surprised you've been this upset for this long and haven't contacted the team yet.

I saw the announcement last night after the game. I have been doing a couple things this AM. I am going to call soon. EDIT: They pretty much HAD to give something for that debacle. You can argue that they did not, but that would be despicable.

Edited by ThreeCups

So the people who were picking up all the dropped ticket stubs at the game should now get 30 free tickets for the 1 game they attended? No solution was perfect, this one is about as good as it gets. You wanted to argue the legality of all of this and the Devils legally don't owe anyone the extra ticket so the team can decide how to give them out as they see best.

I bet you would win a lawsuit if you wanted to go that far. But you are right, that this is their "freebie" and they can do whatever they want. They could do nothing, allthough that would be even doucheir then this crap they came up with. Likewise they could also give out 500 tickets to everyone whose last name begins with 'R'.

But in their "freebie" they explicitly say they want to give make up tickets to those who had tickets for the game.

The policy they go on to outline fails at doing for what I would imagine would be a few thousand people who now have to jump through hoops and hope they have a graceful seller when they already have all the proof necessary to show they were at the game.

Maybe. But in this case you probably have a few thousand people who now have to call the Devils, spend hours on the phone arguing with reps getting pissed off and then like you said the Devils are issuing double the amount of tickets.

I am sure there are some nice resellers who will actually do the right thing and pass the tickets forward but again, what's the problem with just honoring all tickets that were scanned on Friday? People who don't have their ticket stubs are screwed anyway under the current "freebie" policy. And please, the Devils are about to issue thousands of extra tickets to STH holders who will sell them on mediums they don't approve of, but we should worry about the couple guys who manage to pick up a few extra stubs they picked up at the game?

Edited by squishyx