My Draft Philosophy

Jas0nMacIsaac

If you figure that most teams in the states only carry 8 active defensemen then no, 6th lowest doesn't automatically mean 6th highest. How are we to assume that Swedish teams carry 11 defensemen? Its only obvious if you're a Skeleftea fan which I for one am not. I don't even know how to pronounce their name.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you figure that most teams in the states only carry 8 active defensemen then no, 6th lowest doesn't automatically mean 6th highest. How are we to assume that Swedish teams carry 11 defensemen? Its only obvious if you're a Skeleftea fan which I for one am not. I don't even know how to pronounce their name.

Ski-Lefty?

Edited by CarpathianForest

we're not to assume that. you aren't getting it. i suppose 6th highest is correct, but 6th highest implies something good, which this is not - larsson is the #6 d man in terms of ice time on his team. that means he is not playing a large role.

mantzas: i'm aware it's not a development league, but if he can't even beat out ivan majesky for ice time this season, how's he supposed to do it in the nhl next year?

mantzas: i'm aware it's not a development league, but if he can't even beat out ivan majesky for ice time this season, how's he supposed to do it in the nhl next year?

To go a different way, aren't the Devils better off with almost anyone they draft not being in the NHL next season? If so, then let's not worry about if they're NHL ready next year or not, but where they will be 2 or 3 years from now. Hedman was better than Larsson offensively, but wasn't destroying the SEL either and he was able to step in and be a decent NHL defender right away, so I don't see why Larsson, given an extra year in the SEL after drafting, couldn't do something similar, based on what I've seen.

At the end of the day if we are looking for a player to make an impact as soon as he gets drafted then it should probably be a forward. Defensemen rarely make an immediate impact coming straight off a draft year. Highly drafted forwards can very often make an impact their first year after being drafted. If we're looking for an impact player out of the draft then it should be a forward and specifically either a right wing or a center.

To go a different way, aren't the Devils better off with almost anyone they draft not being in the NHL next season? If so, then let's not worry about if they're NHL ready next year or not, but where they will be 2 or 3 years from now. Hedman was better than Larsson offensively, but wasn't destroying the SEL either and he was able to step in and be a decent NHL defender right away, so I don't see why Larsson, given an extra year in the SEL after drafting, couldn't do something similar, based on what I've seen.

the issue with the SEL is playing time, although i suppose he could play in the AHL. but yes - i'm just concerned that a very high draft pick would be rushed.

isnt the max rookie salary for next year $925,000? and arent they required to sign a 3 year entry level deal?

the max rookie salary is probably that, but high 1st round picks typically receive very large bonus clauses. typically teams are allowed to go over the cap by $7 million in bonuses, but the bonus cushion will not apply next season, so that player's full cap hit would count.

This has been a very informative and well thought out thread, good stuff guys.

Personally, if the devils have their guy that isn't named larsson or couturier, then they really should trade down imo. The devils have habitually made intelligent selections with their later draft picks, and i have faith they could do it again this year.

However, if im lou im looking for a solid return. Swap firsts, and send some lower level prospect to a team for an impact player and a 3rd. Something along those lines ideally.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Maybe I'm just affected by the 1st overall pick hype too much, but after a season like this, I'd really love the Devils to pick in the top 3. You choose the best player available, that's the philosophy. If you're picking this high, you can choose whoever you want and that's a comfort we've never had.

Besides, if people say this is one of the weakest drafts in a few years, then it's an even better reason to pick as high as possible. The top 3 should always be good players, regardless of their draft class. But the difference between a #1 guy and a #7 guy might be big this year.

I usually don't follow prospects and I don't know that much about this, but this is what I feel we should do. You usually draft about #20, a lot of times you don't draft in the 1st round at all and now you get a chance to draft in the top3... no hesitation, do it!