NHL.com First Power Rankings

Neb00rs

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

New Jersey at #8:

New Jersey Devils: Have you heard of Ilya Kovalchuk? The name may ring a bell, so his numbers do not fly under the radar. But his defense that was once a question mark is now a strength. In 105 minutes, 37 seconds of ice time this season, he has yet to be on the ice for a goal against.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

New Jersey at #8:

New Jersey Devils: Have you heard of Ilya Kovalchuk? The name may ring a bell, so his numbers do not fly under the radar. But his defense that was once a question mark is now a strength. In 105 minutes, 37 seconds of ice time this season, he has yet to be on the ice for a goal against.

How 'bout that? Hope he keeps it up.

Good for Kovy.. He's developed the attitude of a Devil and is closer to developing the well-rounded game of a Devil

Well put. When he was brought to NJ I was a little skeptical of his play with all the talk of him being a selfish superstar who lacked defensive skill. I also questioned the move by Lou because it seemed to go against the grain of his team first mentality but Kovy has proved himself as a fantastic kool-aid drinking Devil

Well put. When he was brought to NJ I was a little skeptical of his play with all the talk of him being a selfish superstar who lacked defensive skill. I also questioned the move by Lou because it seemed to go against the grain of his team first mentality but Kovy has proved himself as a fantastic kool-aid drinking Devil

One of Jacques Lemaire's legacies, really. It didn't take terribly long to see, as Kovy's Devils career unfolded, that the guy had never been coached properly as a Thrasher, and that there were glaring holes in his game. Lemaire got him to buy into improving the non-glamorous parts of his game, and to Kovy's credit, Kovy was willing to do just that. Like dr33 says, it's great that he's a +5 to start the season, but I don't know how much to make of that, based on the sample size. But I do know that he is a much better all-around player now than he was when he first got here, and both Lemaire and Kovy deserve a lot of credit for making that happen.

it's so good to see cause i remember watching a interview on RDS with Bob Hartley and he was talking about Kovalchuk and how uncoachable he was and that to make him play defensively was like trying to get water out of a rock.

Well it clearly shows that Lemaire and Deboer are way better coaches than Hartley.

it's so good to see cause i remember watching a interview on RDS with Bob Hartley and he was talking about Kovalchuk and how uncoachable he was and that to make him play defensively was like trying to get water out of a rock.

Well it clearly shows that Lemaire and Deboer are way better coaches than Hartley.

There's a reason Hartley even w/ his Cup didn't get a job after Atlanta till now