Happy or disappointed with Lou's moves?

Colorado Rockies 1976

I really believe we can make a run at the Cup, its obvious Lou is going for it with the defensive upgrades. If not the Cup a run into the later rounds at the least is not out of the question. We still have great expierience, the all world goalie, and while we are missing some pieces who to say we'll have a guy no one expects pick it up and go on a tear through the playoffs.

Every team in the East has a weakness, Hasek is not 100%, and frankly Carolina is really the only team that is scary but even they arent unbeatable. Anything is possible.

Id say on paper we're still better than the 03 Ducks team that went into the finals.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should have gotten Tyler Arnason

this was the trade: Ottawa Senators acquire forward Tyler Arnason from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forward Brandon Bochenski and a second-round pick.

He was gettable and a better 2nd center than brylin, who would have made the 4th line more dangerous

Egg

Koz, Arnason Parise

Madden Line

Brylin, Marshall, Raz

Edited by John Wensink

BINGO.

I don't know what some of you really expected. Look at how much MANY of these teams overpaid for these players. You would have wanted Lamoriello's head on a platter either way. No, he wasn't going to send Kozlov to New York for Parrish. No, he wasn't going to be able to send Langdon for Rolston. No, he wasn't going to send Rasmussen or Suglobov to Boston for Samsonov, or anybody else you thought he'd be able to pick up at the deadline. It just wasn't going to happen. The asking price was way too high for many of these players, and Lamoriello just didn't have the means or will (likely) to MAKE those deals. Let's have some perspective here.

We upgraded our defense. That's good. We didn't upgrade our offense. Not that great. We still have a good defense and a great goaltender. We still have a great top line and we do have guys who tend to pick it up later in the year. No, we don't have the best second line, but what can we do? There was just nothing that we could do with it. We have to make do with what we have, and it's as simple as that.

Suglobov wasn't going to save the team. He may fluorish somewhere else, but it wasn't meant to be here. Just like it's going to happen in the future with other players, just like it's already happened in the past with previous players. If Lou could have gotten scoring for Suglobov, he would have. We all know this. Come on, we do.

Take it one step at a time. We're in playoff position and we have one of the two best players in the league on our team, plus guys like Brian Gionta, Brian Rafalski, and Scott Gomez. We have a great shutdown line in Langenbrunner, Madden, and Pandolfo. Yeah, we have spare parts. Yeah, we have invisible guys. Yeah, we have players who just couldn't get it done. We STILL have a damn good team though.

Are we going to win the Cup? Doubtful. Can we still compete? Sure. Let's hold on to the farm instead of selling ourselves short for the present.

Well said RD. Pretty much what I've been saying too.

But if only MacDevil was GM...

I really believe we can make a run at the Cup, its obvious Lou is going for it with the defensive upgrades. If not the Cup a run into the later rounds at the least is not out of the question. We still have great expierience, the all world goalie, and while we are missing some pieces who to say we'll have a guy no one expects pick it up and go on a tear through the playoffs.

Every team in the East has a weakness, Hasek is not 100%, and frankly Carolina is really the only team that is scary but even they arent unbeatable. Anything is possible.

Id say on paper we're still better than the 03 Ducks team that went into the finals.

But if this team somehow wins a Cup, it might very well be the least talented team to do so in modern NHL history.

MacDevil's the one doing most of the whining. He takes the WFAN caller approach to building a team.

I think Lou saw that the only scorers being moved were the ones that were a bit iffy. I don't want any part of the guys that have been moved (expect maybe Parrish, but that wasn't going to happen), and I think Lou did the right thing passing on those guys. Like I said, I think Lou realized that he wasn't going to be able to appeciably improve our scoring, so he went the other way.

Well mr. "I know everything"...

How do you know that "Lou saw that the only scorers being moved were the ones that were a bit iffy" ??

Lou doesn;t see beyond defense.. All his recent moves are for the defensive minded skaters or for the Defensmans. He got rid of everybody who can score... his last move in that direction was Mogilny.

Next summer he'll not sign Gomer and our top line will be Elias Gionta and Brylin...

How do you know that "Lou saw that the only scorers being moved were the ones that were a bit iffy" ??

Lou doesn;t see beyond defense.. All his recent moves are for the defensive minded skaters or for the Defensmans. He got rid of everybody who can score... his last move in that direction was Mogilny.

Next summer he'll not sign Gomer and our top line will be Elias Gionta and Brylin...

You'll be surprised how many people are going to hold you to that, you know.

But if this team somehow wins a Cup, it might very well be the least talented team to do so in modern NHL history.

Cause you know, each and every line was filled with future hall of famers on Tampa 2 years ago.

Edited by Joe B

Going to have to agree on this one. I really think people are underestimating this team a little bit right now. Granted, scoring is an issue but it always has been with the Devils except for maybe the 2000 and 2001 teams. Otherwise its old news. But other then that, the team has a very sold d-corps, a great first line and a great shutdown line, and most of all Marty Brodeur. The way he is playing right now, well if this was the playoffs, he would be Smythe worthy. I believe.

I'm going to see how these guys play and then form my opinion.

But wow, "I HATE LAMS..>FIRE HIM!" ...thats a bit extreme, no? Yikes.

This has got to be the third year in a row now people have tried to jump ship after the deadline. Give it time! :)

I have to agree withyou wait and see, Lou didn't hurt this team one bit we'll just have wait and see.

I'm ok with the deals. I'm high on Luk for this year & next. Just like I always liked the Matvichuk pickup even when he was struggling earlier.

I think Klee is a rental ala Housley & wont see more than 20 games + playoffs for the Devs.

If Matvichuk can make it back, we got a strong D - not an offensive one - but a strong one.

And for a guy who believes that "defense wins championships" combined with scoring going down in the league, I think we'll be in position to win games. Sure they'll be nailbiters but we should be in every game into the 3rd period.

That's when our franchise player will determine how far we go.

You'll be surprised how many people are going to hold you to that, you know.

I'm just applying pure logic from his moves in the last 2 years or so.

I can't explain him...

It is like an aliens kidnapped Lou sometime in 2001

Okey dokey Mr. "I don't know a damn thing"

So point out the slam-dunk scorer that got traded at the deadline. Waiting...

I and others have already explained what Lou's thinking was.

Good scorers that were sure things...NOT AVAILABLE.

Mediocre scorers who were way overpriced for what they bring...AVAILABLE, but not at a reasonable pricetag. Lou did the right thing not biting.

Mogilny...are you serious? I've told you this before...check out Alex's game log over the last several games. He was doing NOTHING! Check out what he's doing for Albany.

Lou just built a team that won the Cup in 2003. I guess you expect Lou to build a team that wins the Cup every year. Was I thrilled with Lou's offseason this year? No. But no GM is perfect all of the time.

With the "scorers" that were being made available, Lou did the right thing going the other way.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The laugh is not about "least talented".. it is about you mentioning the Cup

I'm just applying pure logic from his moves in the last 2 years or so.

I can't explain him...

It is like an aliens kidnapped Lou sometime in 2001

What ever they did to him worked since they won in 2003.

Cause you know, each and every line was filled with future hall of famers on Tampa 2 years ago.

No, but they definitely boasted a better cast that year than what we have right now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The laugh is not about "least talented".. it is about you mentioning the Cup

Hence the word "somehow" in that sentence...I know it's a longshot at best.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This laugh is about pretty much everything you've posted on this thread.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Lou just built a team that won the Cup in 2003. I guess you expect Lou to build a team that wins the Cup every year. Was I thrilled with Lou's offseason this year? No. But no GM is perfect all of the time.

With the "scorers" that were being made available, Lou did the right thing going the other way.

They way he handled this season... it would have been much better to rebuild the team and start new cycle, instead to damage the team this bad

You'll see this summer when we resign GIO and Elias.. just how mcuh more money will be left to do anything else

Am I happy or sad with these moves? I'm ambivalent, just like I am every year at trade deadline. I always hope Lou will fleece someone for a top scorer but know it will never happen. I also know that moves that I didn't think were hot in March turned out to be the final pieces of a cup winning team in June.

No doom and gloom from me. I'm just going to do what I always at this time of year. Strap myself in and go along for the ride and hope it's a long one!

Let's Go Devils!

Let's see. We traded a prospect and draft picks for old, useless and expensive. I'm pleased as punch.

I would have been *MUCH*, *MUCH*, *MUCH* happier if Lou had done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL.